Metal Storm logo
What Albums Do You Savor (as in- try not to over-play)

22.05.2012 - 22:12
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I am a complete music lover. This has been known of me since I cleaned the wetness from behind my ears. There are some CDs that i just COVET. I tend to play them maybe...every other month or so; just because I love them so much, and do not wish to wear them out. Discuss.
22.05.2012 - 22:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm not really sure what you mean here?

I lsiten to all my music whenever I feel like it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.05.2012 - 22:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'm with Tanner, I'm not really sure what to discuss. :s

I listen to what I want when I want to. Not sure if that's what we're discussing though. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2012 - 22:19
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
...and when I say "covet", I mean that it's almost like a drug to me, like nothing else matters to me when I indulge in them. Some of these, for me, include: Nightwish- Century Child, King Diamond- The Eye, Avulsed- Gorespattered Suicide, Judas Priest- Painkiller... These are just some examples to get it rolling. No fighting! Everybody's personal favorites are just that for a reason. Have fun.
22.05.2012 - 22:22
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2012 at 22:16

I'm with Tanner, I'm not really sure what to discuss. :s

I listen to what I want when I want to. Not sure if that's what we're discussing though. :/

I think I speak and write pretty clearly, thank you very much! LOL. Anyway, for instance; as important as Black Sabbath's early Ozzy-fronted albums are, my father and I kinda wore them out for me. I have some CDs that i take care not to do that to. Get it now? (No sarcasm. I'm just attempting to clarify.)
22.05.2012 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 22.05.2012 at 22:22
Get it now?

I think so. It's basically like, "What are your favorite albums you try not to listen to too much lest you end up hating them?"

In that case... you'll have to wait for a legitimate response since I have to get ready for work and I won't have time to answer properly until tomorrow!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.05.2012 - 22:28
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.05.2012 at 22:24

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 22.05.2012 at 22:22
Get it now?

I think so. It's basically like, "What are your favorite albums you try not to listen to too much lest you end up hating them?"

In that case... you'll have to wait for a legitimate response since I have to get ready for work and I won't have time to answer properly until tomorrow!

Exactly. In that case, it's kind of a doozy of a topic, if you get down to it. I have some that remind me of very special times in my life, and don't wish to do what the damn radio does...which is totally ruin good songs (if they play a good one or two at all)!
22.05.2012 - 22:46
Lit.
Account deleted
I've yet to over listen to an album. Songs would probably be more result-getting.
22.05.2012 - 23:29
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Thing is, albums that I love so much that I would like savor are albums that simply never get old, so I don't have to savor them. I can listen to The Black Halo three times a day every day and not get bored with it, it's the same with pretty much every favorite album of mine.
23.05.2012 - 00:12
Grey Wind

This an interesting question which makes me a bit frustrated: I tend to totally "over-play" all my favorite music, so some of my favorite albums got really "ruined" because of that lol. Though sometimes waiting a few months makes things sound fresh again. I liked the idea of savoring music, never thought of that before!
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
23.05.2012 - 00:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I get what you say. I found the solution in looking for new music all the time, so you don't really have the need to go back to those albums that much.
All the albums from when I started listening to metal that I got tired of became listeneable again after a couple of years this way.

However, I know there are people that can listen to an album all their life without getting tired of it, I guess it depends on the person
23.05.2012 - 00:56
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Unhealer on 23.05.2012 at 00:46

I get what you say. I found the solution in looking for new music all the time, so you don't really have the need to go back to those albums that much.
All the albums from when I started listening to metal that I got tired of became listeneable again after a couple of years this way.

However, I know there are people that can listen to an album all their life without getting tired of it, I guess it depends on the person

Yes. this is why I have owned some 800 cds in my life. I do have some albums that never get old, yet I still try and rotate my listening...just in case.
23.05.2012 - 00:58
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Grey Wind on 23.05.2012 at 00:12

This an interesting question which makes me a bit frustrated: I tend to totally "over-play" all my favorite music, so some of my favorite albums got really "ruined" because of that lol. Though sometimes waiting a few months makes things sound fresh again. I liked the idea of savoring music, never thought of that before!

Yes. Exactly. I recommend doing this, myself. And during your off time from your blessed "holy grails"- you have perfect opportunities to explore new stuff!
23.05.2012 - 06:19
Igeldude

Every few months or so I find myself once again listening to "Of Xenoglossy and Saturn" by Undefined.
23.05.2012 - 11:53
Fredd
Account deleted
I understand what the OP means. I "try" not to overplay albums I like most, but it's just imposible, I get bored after 20 listens or so. Worst thing when it happens is that I start to question my ratings; "does it really deserve a 10?" but I've found that the solution - as Unhealer has said - is to constantly keep yourself occupied with new music. Another good solution is not to memorize the lyrics. Or give it a few months until you forget it, then revisit it.

And no, there is no such thing as an album that "never gets old" or "never bores." Repetition kills.
23.05.2012 - 14:02
bozqale

Arcane Rain Fell and Human are the 2 albums that I don't want to over-play but it usually happens to songs not albums.
23.05.2012 - 14:10
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Hmm, I don't think I try to not over play - or 'covet' - albums but im upto about 100 listens of Wintersun and still not bored
23.05.2012 - 20:13
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Guest on 23.05.2012 at 11:53

I understand what the OP means. I "try" not to overplay albums I like most, but it's just imposible, I get bored after 20 listens or so. Worst thing when it happens is that I start to question my ratings; "does it really deserve a 10?" but I've found that the solution - as Unhealer has said - is to constantly keep yourself occupied with new music. Another good solution is not to memorize the lyrics. Or give it a few months until you forget it, then revisit it.

And no, there is no such thing as an album that "never gets old" or "never bores." Repetition kills.

Ahhh...y'see. YOU get it. And yes- I've looked back at some of my reviews (here and elsewhere) and questioned my own ratings. I also tend to save those instantly lovable metal albums (i.e. "catchy") for times when fun and good moods are all I'm about, as they get old QUICK. Prog is a good solution to this. Rotate a few favorite progressive discs into your listening experiences, trying new music, while throwing in some fun stuff here and there...and you should be free of this plight.
23.05.2012 - 20:14
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by Guest on 23.05.2012 at 14:10

Hmm, I don't think I try to not over play - or 'covet' - albums but im upto about 100 listens of Wintersun and still not bored

Really? You are gifted. I mean, Wintersun is good and all- but woah. hehe
23.05.2012 - 20:32
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 23.05.2012 at 20:14

Really? You are gifted. I mean, Wintersun is good and all- but woah. hehe

Ahah, well I think i'm upto nearly 800 listens on 'Winter Madness' alone . Saying that though I have to say a lot of other music I need to listen to gets neglected because of it.

I might have a Wintersun free week, that'll do some good .
23.05.2012 - 21:01
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 23.05.2012 at 20:13

I also tend to save those instantly lovable metal albums (i.e. "catchy") for times when fun and good moods are all I'm about, as they get old QUICK.

I always think of that but I just cant hold myself, they're too damn catchy.
23.05.2012 - 22:25
Xytraguptor

I know what OP means as well. Well I am a listener that has phases. One time I can only listen to one album and the other time only to another genre and so on. This lasts several weeks and then I get obsessed with something else again. For instance now I only listen to Benny Benassi and Disarmonia Mundi. Can't listen to anything else.
23.05.2012 - 22:53
Thyroid

I guess there are certain albums, little gems that I only play occasionally. Mostly vinyls. But... I guess it's more like matter of right moment. Some records deserves more attention and peaceful enviroment. Some albums work really well as atmospheric background music, so I guess I spin them a little bit more.
----
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt.
What the fuck's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?
24.05.2012 - 00:23
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Another one that I try to avoid wearing out is "Storm of the Light's Bane"...that's a brilliant album. I save it for those special times, in which I feel cold yet emotional simultaneously.
24.05.2012 - 11:07
PocketMetal

I try to avoid listening to "Fables of the Sleepless Empire " by Unexpect , that's the best album in my collection ... fortunately it's so messy so you "can't" remember everything .
24.05.2012 - 23:03
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by PocketMetal on 24.05.2012 at 11:07

I try to avoid listening to "Fables of the Sleepless Empire " by Unexpect , that's the best album in my collection ... fortunately it's so messy so you "can't" remember everything .

Yes. I get ya there. However- experimental and progressive melting-pot albums don't wear out easily for me. So, when I overplay my faves; I turn to weird shit like that to make up for the memorable hooks I get infected with. Hell, I go as far as the s/t Mr.bungle album if I feel too comfortable, haha!