04. Enemy
05. Lie To Me
06. Silence
07. Le Tenia
08. Patience
09. Nihil Ex Nihilo
10. With Folded Arms [bonus]
11. Losing My Religion [R.E.M. cover] [bonus]

Here's something good and conflicting for you; an absolutely fantastic musician, writing and performing great songs, yet happens to be horribly uncreative.

This is probably going to be thoroughly enjoyable for the modern-day prog fanatics out there. The Reticent exhibits all sorts of material similar to the likes of Opeth, Tool and Riverside. Strikingly similar, actually. It's conflicting, because the songs are actually well written, in spite of being incredibly derivative. Le Temps De Detruit Tout doesn't sound like a cheap knock-off of any of the previously mentioned bands, but it does sound like a knock-off nonetheless. A mix of Riverside's gentleside, Opeth's sweeping, grandiose feel, and top it off with vocals notably similar to Tool's Maynard James Keenan. Doesn't really add up to more than that.

This may sound like a dream mix for the prog fans out there, and hell, it may well be. More likely it will, and probably should be viewed as a bit of wasted ability. The sole musician behind this project, Chris Hathcock, is quite obviously talented in both writing and execution, but doesn't seem to stretch these abilities that far beyond performing music basically written by other people. You'll hear some Akerfeldt, some Keenan, maybe even some Wilson (Steven - Porcupine Tree), however, you won't really get much of a feel for this Hathcock.

Le Temps De Detruit Tout is one of those albums that will pique your interest, but leave you with the feeling that there could have been so much more. The Reticent is simply the sound of a great musician falling victim to overindulging into hero worship. Yup, another one of those "potential" albums.

Written on 28.05.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 80 users
28.05.2012 - 21:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Well, you just named three of my favorite bands ever so off I go...
----
rekt
28.05.2012 - 22:57
Lokaeda
Account deleted
Dafuq with the French language failure? Is it really the name of the album D: ?
28.05.2012 - 23:44
Mattybu

Sounds somewhat interesting but probably too derivative to be that enjoyable... Good call on the 6.9
29.05.2012 - 00:22
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Stick to English if you can't use French correctly...
29.05.2012 - 01:49
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I swear I've seen the statue on quite a few album covers.

Hits total: 3570 | This month: 2