05. Blood On My Hands
06. Missing Victims
07. Reckless
08. Near Death Experience
09. The Scar
10. Delayed Combustion Device
11. Vampire Apocalypse
12. The Depths Of Depravity

You all seemed to have no problem with me shitting on generic death metal acts before, this time around should be no different.

Seriously, people, there's three things this band has which separates them from the army of other death metal bands duplicating at an exponential rate with no sign of stopping. 1) The well known associated names of some of the members, 2) Being under one of the biggest metal labels out there today, and 3) The slick production reasons 1 & 2 can buy you. Between the decently sized backing label, and the highly experienced members involved, you'd think Six Feet Under would have some kind of arsenal to make them stand out, good or bad. The only thing that really makes them stand out is the fact that they are successful, despite being just as boring as any number of other bands out there. Are people not actually listening? It's some kind of pyramid-scheme-like mass conspiracy; someone (probably the label) will convince a few people this is something special, those few people convince another few people and so on. Before you know it, you've got a large audience of people celebrating a band that doesn't exactly warrant celebrating. Nobody stops to ask themselves why this band is so popular. Enough people like it, that means it must be good, right?

Enough conspiracy theory jabbering, though. The music? It's the same shit, new year. Plain, straight-forward death metal. Undead has enough infectious riffs to make it worth listening to briefly, but not enough to make it worthy of any repeat listens. The only real identity here is Chris Barnes unmistakable sloppy growls. If you haven't heard those before, maybe Undead will hold something new for you. It would be easy enough to tack on another couple dozen words here trying to explain the sound in further detail, but you've heard it all before, so no asinine wall-of-text explanations are going to be given. It's the same story as pretty much any of the other generic crap you've seen reviewed on here, so we'll leave it with the same score as is appropriate for one-time-use types of albums like these.

Written on 28.05.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 256 users
29.05.2012 - 00:39
Rating: 8
Butters49
Some songs are obviously fillers,
but some songs on this album are some of the best SFU ive heard in awhile:
18 days, Molest Dead...

18 days is actually a really really really fucking awesome song.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
29.05.2012 - 02:54
Rating: 6
strade
The first thing that this band has done that hasn't urged me to begin projectile-vomiting across the room upon first impact. That still doesn't make it good. I pretty much agree; generic.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
29.05.2012 - 07:19
Bones222
Great review, been checking out the hype surrounding this release the last couple of weeks, nearly bought the new album thinking it was going to be an epic release... cheers just saved me $18 i'll hold off for the moment...
29.05.2012 - 08:00
Account deleted
Totally agree. That's more or less my entire view on this band. Never really understood why so many metalheads loved them...
29.05.2012 - 15:37
I'm willing to give credit where it's due - this is likely the best SFU album, period. Whether that makes it any good is up to you to decide yourself. In my case, I already have this on my iPod which is something that can't be said for the other 9 albums listed in the top 10 over there on the left.
29.05.2012 - 21:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I wouldn't call this the same shit as ever - in fact, I'd venture so far as to say this is their best overall album since... ever.

Catchy hooks are more apparent and the groove aspects are toned down slightly, making more room in the songwriting department (which is still typically underutilized, but at least the album works cohesively with different riffs as opposed to four-minute groove licks). There is a lot more energy and aggression this time around, whereas before the band seemed content with their unenthusiastic approach to music.

Still not even a 7/10 in my eyes, but definitely a step above the rest of the crap they've been doling out.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.05.2012 - 22:51
TrollandDie
Does an album termed ''generic crap'' really warrant a 6/10?

I mean, I know that a 6.0 is often given to signify a band's mediocrity but why don't reviewers lower it more? A 5.0 seems more agreable if it's redunant crap; at least then it's balanced between diabolically foul-smelling shit and something worthwhile. Also, it seems like a more effective way to actively tell record labels ''stop signing these talentless hacks'' when ratings are less generous.

A good review regardless.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
29.05.2012 - 23:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by TrollandDie on 29.05.2012 at 22:51
...why don't reviewers lower it more?

I keep trying!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.05.2012 - 17:53
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.05.2012 at 21:58

I wouldn't call this the same shit as ever - in fact, I'd venture so far as to say this is their best overall album since... ever.

Catchy hooks are more apparent and the groove aspects are toned down slightly, making more room in the songwriting department (which is still typically underutilized, but at least the album works cohesively with different riffs as opposed to four-minute groove licks). There is a lot more energy and aggression this time around, whereas before the band seemed content with their unenthusiastic approach to music.

Still not even a 7/10 in my eyes, but definitely a step above the rest of the crap they've been doling out.

Definitely agree, Troy. I gave this disc a 9.0 because it was better than anything I've ever heard from them. But there are ten times as better death metal albums out there. It certainly didn't get repeated listens, that's for sure. But it was good for a while. A little while...
----
www.thegrimtower.com (updated ftequently with reviews and interviews!)

www.torii.bandcamp.com (black/doom/death)
31.05.2012 - 10:20
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by TrollandDie on 29.05.2012 at 22:51

Does an album termed ''generic crap'' really warrant a 6/10?

I mean, I know that a 6.0 is often given to signify a band's mediocrity but why don't reviewers lower it more? A 5.0 seems more agreable if it's redunant crap; at least then it's balanced between diabolically foul-smelling shit and something worthwhile. Also, it seems like a more effective way to actively tell record labels ''stop signing these talentless hacks'' when ratings are less generous.

A good review regardless.

Well, labels generally don't listen to reviewers anyways, generally, they listen to sales, or if their one of those hobbyist sort of labels, then the label owners personal tastes.

Secondly, I did actually enjoy this album for one play through. The replay value however was nada. Hence why the score is as generous as it is.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 5257 | This month: 9