09. The Howling Of God
10. Inner Mental Cage
11. Density
12. Procession Of The Dead Clowns
13. Mighty Trust Krusher [Godflesh cover]

Guest review by
sephiroth soul
Rating:
Stemming from the brain of twisted genius Vindsval emanates Blut Aus Nord's black metal masterpiece: "The Work Which Transforms God." With such a grandiose album title you'd expect nothing less from the French trio.

Imagine yourself stranded alone in a post-apocalyptic metropolis that's cloaked in a blanket of perpetual darkness and despair, violent storms evoking harrowing winds that crush the dead structures that surround you, all the while you cower pathetically in a tiny hole waiting for your timely death... This is just one of the countless possible nightmares this piece will allow you the displeasure of experiencing. I hate to talk about "atmospheres" when it comes to black metal as it seems a little contrived nowadays but with this album it's unavoidable. So, for the purpose of this review I'll restrict my description to simple, concise words:

Read more ››
published 06.01.2006 | Comments (56)

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 52   Visited by: 714 users
30.05.2012 - 02:22
Rating: 10
Metal Addiction

One of my best albums of all time
18.02.2013 - 13:38
Góral
Combo Breaker
Sometimes I really wanted to hide under the bed while listening this album. I'd recommend this anyone who is looking for a really strong experiences. Frighteningly good.
24.05.2013 - 05:11
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Fucking Christ this is the sound of the impending mechanical apocalypse.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.05.2013 - 17:40
mz

This album is ridiculously good, maybe I am not well trained on my Black Metal but personally, in the contrary to most of fans who do not consider BM parts as good as industrial ones I love both BM and industrial/ambient tracks here .
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.08.2013 - 17:19
Rating: 9
Erik M.

Easily one of the sickest and most disturbing albums I've ever listened to. Never heard anything quite like this. Totally unique stuff.
27.08.2013 - 09:59
mz

Written by Erik M. on 19.08.2013 at 17:19

Easily one of the sickest and most disturbing albums I've ever listened to. Never heard anything quite like this. Totally unique stuff.

The odd thing is that I gave this album to some of my friends which are totally not into extreme metal (or metal in general) and they liked it a lot despite its disturbing and tortured nature.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
06.10.2013 - 02:48
Rating: 4
caligulasremains

One of the most overrated albums i've ever heard.
06.10.2013 - 03:10
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by caligulasremains on 06.10.2013 at 02:48

One of the most overrated albums i've ever heard.

Judging by your preferred taste in black metal according to your band list, this band is obviously not for you.
06.10.2013 - 14:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
He seems to quite enjoy the Liber EPs though strangely, and apparently loves MV:II, which is the album in BaN's discog I personally would regard as the most overrated as it's just a rehash of an uninteresting and unspectacular meloblack sound with a tiny bit of prog thrown in. I can see why people wouldn't like this one, but calling it overrated is unfair considering it was practically a pioneer in sound and is probably quite influential.
17.08.2014 - 09:31
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I'll try this.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
28.08.2014 - 20:15
CyberSymphony
Ollie
This album is just amazing, really love the grotesque atmospheric sound. 'Post-apocalyptic' is the best word to describe this and possibly one of the best used in metal IMO.
04.09.2014 - 14:19
Rating: 7
Dr. Strawberry

This album is a very compact like eating metal buffet however the 2nd & 5th track brought down the score.
10.10.2014 - 20:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I love this.
----
11.10.2014 - 13:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 04.09.2014 at 14:19

the 2nd track brought down the score.

Shame you feel that way. The Choir Of The Dead is one of BaN's most quintessential dissonant tracks I feel. It's even possible that there was nothing quite like it before it in metal.
11.10.2014 - 13:50
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Guest on 11.10.2014 at 13:44

Shame you feel that way. The Choir Of The Dead is one of BaN's most quintessential dissonant tracks I feel. It's even possible that there was nothing quite like it before it in metal.

With whom you try to discuss !
----
The Fangirl.
11.10.2014 - 13:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 11.10.2014 at 13:50

With whom you try to discuss !

*facepalm* for some reason I thought I was quoting God Alone. Oh well, I won't wait for an informed reply then.
11.10.2014 - 18:23
Lit.
Account deleted
For people's benefit, and the hopeful prevention of a deteriorating thread in the presence of God Buster, the cover of Godflesh that appears in the 2013 reissue:

Not too shabby, if I may say so.
14.10.2014 - 10:36
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 11.10.2014 at 13:44

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 04.09.2014 at 14:19

the 2nd track brought down the score.

Really ? I need to listen to it once again. Thanks for your reminder.
14.10.2014 - 17:53
Vombatus
Potorro
Was listening to this today, and I reminded why the last track + second part of Our Blessed Frozen Cells are the best pieces of music in History. Have no words to describe what they represent...
14.10.2014 - 17:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 14.10.2014 at 17:53

Was listening to this today, and I reminded why the last track + second part of Our Blessed Frozen Cells are the best pieces of music in History. Have no words to describe what they represent...

I can only agree. I've always thought that. Well, for the last few years anyway. I'd add Level 1 (Nothing Is) to those two tracks too. It's kind of sad that there's nothing else quite like those tracks in music.

The bit from 2.16 gives me the same goosebumps as those two tracks on this album.

(great video too)

Chapter V from MoRT approaches it at times too, and some stuff from the 777s probably would if the production on them didn't sound so inferior.
15.10.2014 - 17:25
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 14.10.2014 at 17:56

I'd add Level 1 (Nothing Is) to those two tracks too. It's kind of sad that there's nothing else quite like those tracks in music.

Level 1 is one of my favorite songs, but for me it doesn't have quite the same effect though I can see the comparison. The whole EP is much more gloomy sounding than Our Blessed/Procession, that have a much more nostalgic/sad (?) feeling. It's like the creepy leftovers of TWWTG

But yeah, it's quite frustrating that nothing resembles those two songs... I had the feeling that some parts of Cosmosophy were heading in the same direction but not quite the same coz of the cleaner/celestial-like production and guitar tones were just not as good.
20.12.2014 - 00:14
Ilham
Giant robot
I deleted my vote just so I could vote again and give it a 10. This is going to stay with me for the rest of my life.
20.12.2014 - 00:42
Ilham
Giant robot
Also because it's funny, God Buster-kinda funny, this on discogs:

"Illbient", something a guy said about dub, a play on words with "ill" and "ambient", and TWWTG gets that tag.
20.12.2014 - 00:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lel.

That is all.
13.01.2015 - 07:27
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Can't believe how quickly this has become one of my favorite black metal albums ever (even if I didn't rate it a 10).
----
26.01.2015 - 13:54
God Alone

An unfathomable/undefinable sonic entity.
Also, clowns scare me to death, especially if they're dead.
Also, Our Blessed Frozen Cells.
Also, that *thing* at 2:31 of Inner Mental Cage... My god, what the hell was that?
31.03.2015 - 10:36
Joe Zombie

Terrifying. Terrifying and brilliant.
31.03.2015 - 14:14
Rating: 8
musclassia

Finally got round to listening to this one, The Supreme Abstract is ferocious - to be honest, compared to the rest of it I'm not particularly fond of it.
To be honest, I'm very much an outsider to the whole dissonant extreme metal side of things, but there's some things that work for me, and to be honest in terms of quality and accessibility mixed together, this is a real standout from what I've heard. The industrial side to it really makes it.
25.04.2015 - 23:05
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I already thought this was pretty good at first, but it keeps getting better with more listens. Just barely got into BaN and this album is fucking killer.
----
28.05.2015 - 00:58
Reaper_Redeemer

This album was a grower for me, listening it for years, raising in me every time I listened to it. Great music.

"Our Blessed Frozen Cells" has maybe the best outro ever heard.

Hits total: 17659 | This month: 35