Metal Storm logo
Bands I Liked, Until I Heard Their Catalogues

Thumbs up: +3
Created by: Fade To Black | 12.05.2012

1. Korn
Remember being young, well I do (and still remain pretty young) and it goes hand in hand with being dumb. With the two best example of this being when I failed physics and liking Korn. When I was fifteen these guys spoke to me in a way any other band could have, but for some reason I picked Korn. The song I have in mind is the one about not fitting in, with the rapping and the endlessly repeating guitar riff. Now looking back at them is see four guys dancing around trying to convince us all the nineties didn't suck.
2. Mötley Crüe
Here is another example of being young and dumb. Remember the eighties? Well I don't I wasn't alive yet, but for some reason I thought the eighties looked awesome and who was more eighties then the Crue? NO ONE. I clung to them like they did to hookers, representing an idealized version of a time I didn't know. I only knew a few songs and really that's all someone should say when talking about this band. Upon listening to almost everything they ever wrote I realized that they might be the best shitty band ever.
3. Def Leppard
Sorry? Who's more eighties then Motley Crue...oh yeah, Def Leppard. When i listen to them I feel they were always just out of an arms reach of not pissing me off.(ba dum tiss)
4. Manowar
Here's a band that haven't changed ever and never will, I admire that. When I first found metal I liked power metal and now, well I'm not a child. The triumphant attitude attracted me so I downloaded (stole) a few of their albums from the internet and realised that their use of a formula make Nickelback look like experimental geniuses.
5. Helloween/Gamma Ray/Hammerfall
Not that these guys are bad they seem some what competent but as I said I don't like power metal because I'm not seven years old. The sonic equivalent of Frodo banging a dragon does interest me the way I thought it might. The reason they're all at the number five spot is I consider them to be extremely similar and realized I didn't like any of them on the same day.
6. Meshuggah
When I first heard of Meshuggah I thought they were giving a much needed new spin on thrash metal. They kind of did that that, also they created Djent a bullshit "hardcore" genre that these fucking new age progtards are into. They're good musicians, sure but as far as I can tell they wrote one riff and switch the lyrics. Yeah I hate them for outside reasons other then their music deal with it.
7. Anvil
Unlike the some of the bands on this list I do like some of their work, like the first two albums. Like most people what first drew me to them was that documentary and I thought hey they're Canadian, I'm Canadian. They're from Toronto, I've been there. Unappreciated innovators, hey I'm that (I'm really not). Then I heard some of their early work and though these guys are cool why aren't they famous then I heard the other stuff and realized Anvil are not the metal gods that their movie made them look like. Instead they really are a real-life Spinal Tap.
8. Cannibal Corpse
A friend first introduced me to this band and I thought cool these guys are brutal as fuck. A few years later having heard some more metal and "refining" my taste I realised being more brutal then Metallica and Korn is no tall order. Then on top of that I can't tell any of the songs apart. Don't get me wrong "Hammer Smashed Face" is Awesome but the variety this band shows in song writing every other song should be titled "Wrench Crushed Balls."
9. Deep Purple
Oh shit... now I've done it, I've enraged the gods of rock what ever will I do. I like "Smoke on The Water" but the expectations I had for this band were ridiculous. People put Deep Purple in the same realm as Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin I don't see it. They're good but come on, a little overrated.
10. Guns N' Roses
Speaking of overrated here we have the masters of the over hype. Appetite for Destruction is cool don't get me wrong, but with all the other work they've done they have maybe one whole good album worth of songs.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Fade To Black ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 20   Visited by: 64 users
04.06.2012 - 15:17
Oaken
Hipster
I don't get this list. Do you mean you used to like these bands before you even started listening to their music, and when you did, you hated them? Lawl.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
05.06.2012 - 07:30
Fade To Black

For the most part I liked one or two songs, then upon listening to them it became apparent that these bands were not for me.
05.06.2012 - 15:45
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I totally agree to what you say there about Guns N' Roses; I disagree to what you say there about Deep Purple, to me they are in the same league with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.
05.06.2012 - 16:24
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Love the descriptions...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.06.2012 - 16:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Quote:
trying to convince us all the nineties didn't suck.

Lame. Specially considering how great the 90s were for Metal. Sure, the mainstream was awful and so were the popular genres like thrash and heavy metal.
That's when black, death and doom metal took charge and great music came along in the (at the time) underground. The 90s were definitely the salvation back when the most popular genres were dying.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2012 - 16:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.06.2012 at 16:29
Quote:
trying to convince us all the nineties didn't suck.

I think it seems more like he's trying to convince us most of the '80s sucked to be honest.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.06.2012 - 18:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.06.2012 at 16:35

I think it seems more like he's trying to convince us most of the '80s sucked to be honest.

Not impossible. I did find hiscomment quite ambiguous so you might be right. It's also not the first time I've ever heard of someone saying 90's metal sucked.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2012 - 19:00
@gent_-_orange

If this was my list I'd put Dream Theater on here, I liked Pull Me Under and a couple of other songs but after listening to a couple of their albums in full they simply bored me.
05.06.2012 - 19:03
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.06.2012 at 18:48

Not impossible. I did find hiscomment quite ambiguous so you might be right. It's also not the first time I've ever heard of someone saying 90's metal sucked.

Like you said above, the 90s was a great decade for extreme metal; but for those who are hardly or at all into this kind of music, the decade still sucked. I for one did not find much to listen to. Only the rise of progressive metal worked for me and a bunch of gothic metal albums, plus some artists from previous couple of decades that were still making music.
06.06.2012 - 03:06
Fade To Black

Written by Guest on 05.06.2012 at 19:03

Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.06.2012 at 18:48

Like you said above, the 90s was a great decade for extreme metal; but for those who are hardly or at all into this kind of music, the decade still sucked. I for one did not find much to listen to. Only the rise of progressive metal worked for me and a bunch of gothic metal albums, plus some artists from previous couple of decades that were still making music.

I meant it more as a joke and didn't really mean to say that metal in the nineties sucked, it was just an offhand comment.
06.06.2012 - 03:07
Fade To Black

Written by K✞ulu on 05.06.2012 at 16:24

Love the descriptions...

Thanks, I got bored the weekend after knee surgery so I thought I'd just do this to waste some time.
06.06.2012 - 03:29
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I meant it more as a joke and didn't really mean to say that metal in the nineties sucked, it was just an offhand comment.

I was referring to what Mr Doctor said above (about black, death and doom being great in the 90s); you got to say whatever you want, I got the right to agree or disagree
06.06.2012 - 05:37
Void Eater
Account deleted
Oh girl, you did not just say that Gamma Ray sucks!

This song=Everything good about metal. It's got speed. It's got power. It's got shredding solos. It's got a big ass triumphant chorus. Let's be serious for a moment, if you don't like this you suck.
06.06.2012 - 06:48
Fade To Black

Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 05:37

This song=Everything good about metal. It's got speed. It's got power. It's got shredding solos. It's got a big ass triumphant chorus. Let's be serious for a moment, if you don't like this you suck.

I never said Gamma Ray sucks I said it was "The sonic equivalent of Frodo banging a dragon"

Also if this is the barometer for whether or not I suck, I'm fine with sucking. lol
06.06.2012 - 08:02
Void Eater
Account deleted
I know, but it's kinda my job around here to overreact about dumb stuff (such as Vampires Everywhere), get overly excited about my favorite bands, and tell people that they suck.
06.06.2012 - 15:34
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 08:02

I know, but it's kinda my job around here to overreact about dumb stuff (such as Vampires Everywhere), get overly excited about my favorite bands, and tell people that they suck.

You suck at your job.
06.06.2012 - 16:20
theFIST

Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 05:37

[youtube]

thank you for the quick opinion providing service
32 seconds were enough to convince me that they do
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
06.06.2012 - 21:32
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 15:34

Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 08:02

You suck at your job.

You suck on wieners.
06.06.2012 - 22:13
Lit.
Account deleted
Maybe you should stop listening to albums and just focus on listening to the first couple of Youtube vids you see after typing in the band's name.
Problem solved... idiot.
01.07.2012 - 05:06
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 06.06.2012 at 21:32

You suck on wieners.

Haha, how to end any argument successfully. ^^

I disagree with a couple of the entries on this list (especially Cannibal Corpse and Deep Purple) but I do understand the feeling of digging a band at first but then exploring their discography more and losing interest.

Hits total: 1986 | This month: 8