01. The Spirit Of Radio [live]
02. Red Barchetta [live]
03. Closer To The Heart [live]
04. Tom Sawyer [live]
05. Vital Signs [live]
06. Natural Science [live]
07. Medley [live]
    1 - Working Man
    2 - Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - Armageddon: The Battle of Heart and Mind
    3 - By-Tor & The Snow Dog
    4 - In The End
    5 - In The Mood
    6 - 2112 - Grand FInale
08. La Villa Strangiato [live]

You'll have to excuse me. Right now, I am a bit overwhelmed. There is so much to do. I came here to do a brief review of Rush's Moving Pictures. I just realized, that is absolutely impossible.

This album was the first album that I bought from Rush. It is really, truly a brilliant album. I've listened to it many times since I got it three years ago. It grows on you a lot. There are so many elements to it that make it such a classic. I know you all know what kind of classic is this, but let's say something about this album.

Rush's eighth studio release from 1981, Moving Pictures, is without question one of the greatest classic/progressive rock albums of all time, as well as the band's best and most popular album to date. Rush are simply one of the greatest bands not just in progressive rock, but in rock in general. With top-notch production courtesy of Terry Brown, Moving Pictures is a certain album that truly lives and definitely deserves it. Let's not also forget about the band's superb, stunning, and complex musicianship which is absolutely flat out amazing in all aspects. Geddy Lee's vocals are unique, powerful, and awesome, and he's also known to be one of rock's most talented and best bassists ever. His bass lines are just thick, gritty, earthshaking, and downright incredible. Let's not also forget that Geddy knows how to manipulate the keyboards which are also top notch, and really add to Rush's sound on here as well. Alex Lifeson is an awesome guitarist, and he is really on fire here with his solid, hard rocking riffs, and awesome, dazzling solos that shred like a sharp razor blade. Neil Peart's drumming on here is absolutely death defying, perfectly timed, and off the hook. There's certainly no doubt that Neil is and always has been regarded as one of the greatest drummers in rock, and not to mention that he's also Rush's main lyricist, and a brilliant lyricist at that, too. Every song rocks in its own distinctive way, while still retaining the complexities of the signature Rush sound. From the opening power chord of ''Tom Sawyer'' to the mellow fade-out of ''Vital Signs'', the listener is engaged in a mystical, musical world of fantasy, superstardom and social commentary.

Pure pleasure in listening to this precisely well-crafted album. I recommend it to everyone who likes music, loves discovering new stuff and is open enough for progressive, not cliched rock. Did I forgot something to say? Yes, if you have not listened to this album, immediately spend money and buy it. I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by nicaZe | 06.06.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 36   Visited by: 198 users
09.06.2012 - 22:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 09.06.2012 at 19:47
Troy, listen to this album dammit.

Are the rest of the songs as catchy as "Tom Sawyer"? I've always been turned off by the "lightness" and "forward-thinking" approach of Rush. It's kind of like Yes for me - one or two chart-topping singles interest me, but the rest of their stuff is just too... off-putting.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.06.2012 - 01:15
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 22:58

Are the rest of the songs as catchy as "Tom Sawyer"? I've always been turned off by the "lightness" and "forward-thinking" approach of Rush. It's kind of like Yes for me - one or two chart-topping singles interest me, but the rest of their stuff is just too... off-putting.

Believe me try to listen Hemispheres and 2112 you will love it.
23.10.2012 - 13:50
Rating: 10
trattorino
Probably my favourite album of all times... It is complex yet simple at the same time...and to me a song like Tom Sawyer or Yyz STILL sounds fresh and modern. Even if probably my favourite song on the album is Vital Signs
12.06.2015 - 10:21
Rating: 8
Gummingurru
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 22:58

I realize that this comment is old, but I just wanted to say that a lot of the songs in this album are really catchy in my opinion: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, and even YYZ. As for the lightness that's really an issue, as I guess the heavier you'll find here is YYZ. The second half of the album has a lot of this "forward-thinking" you mentioned, but you should probably give at least the first half a shot.
13.06.2015 - 00:35
breathingmurder
Account deleted
Great review - forget the naysayers!
23.07.2015 - 21:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
1th album I bouggt from this band as well,, from friend, a cheap money, he ddint like , I knew it before , so I accepted offer
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5794 | This month: 14