01. The Spirit Of Radio [live]
02. Red Barchetta [live]
03. Closer To The Heart [live]
04. Tom Sawyer [live]
05. Vital Signs [live]
06. Natural Science [live]
07. Medley [live]
    1 - Working Man
    2 - Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres - Armageddon: The Battle of Heart and Mind
    3 - By-Tor & The Snow Dog
    4 - In The End
    5 - In The Mood
    6 - 2112 - Grand FInale
08. La Villa Strangiato [live]

You'll have to excuse me. Right now, I am a bit overwhelmed. There is so much to do. I came here to do a brief review of Rush's Moving Pictures. I just realized, that is absolutely impossible.

This album was the first album that I bought from Rush. It is really, truly a brilliant album. I've listened to it many times since I got it three years ago. It grows on you a lot. There are so many elements to it that make it such a classic. I know you all know what kind of classic is this, but let's say something about this album.

Rush's eighth studio release from 1981, Moving Pictures, is without question one of the greatest classic/progressive rock albums of all time, as well as the band's best and most popular album to date. Rush are simply one of the greatest bands not just in progressive rock, but in rock in general. With top-notch production courtesy of Terry Brown, Moving Pictures is a certain album that truly lives and definitely deserves it. Let's not also forget about the band's superb, stunning, and complex musicianship which is absolutely flat out amazing in all aspects. Geddy Lee's vocals are unique, powerful, and awesome, and he's also known to be one of rock's most talented and best bassists ever. His bass lines are just thick, gritty, earthshaking, and downright incredible. Let's not also forget that Geddy knows how to manipulate the keyboards which are also top notch, and really add to Rush's sound on here as well. Alex Lifeson is an awesome guitarist, and he is really on fire here with his solid, hard rocking riffs, and awesome, dazzling solos that shred like a sharp razor blade. Neil Peart's drumming on here is absolutely death defying, perfectly timed, and off the hook. There's certainly no doubt that Neil is and always has been regarded as one of the greatest drummers in rock, and not to mention that he's also Rush's main lyricist, and a brilliant lyricist at that, too. Every song rocks in its own distinctive way, while still retaining the complexities of the signature Rush sound. From the opening power chord of ''Tom Sawyer'' to the mellow fade-out of ''Vital Signs'', the listener is engaged in a mystical, musical world of fantasy, superstardom and social commentary.

Pure pleasure in listening to this precisely well-crafted album. I recommend it to everyone who likes music, loves discovering new stuff and is open enough for progressive, not cliched rock. Did I forgot something to say? Yes, if you have not listened to this album, immediately spend money and buy it. I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by nicaZe | 06.06.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 198 users
06.06.2012 - 06:01
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Really good album! Too bad the review is mostly based on a list of adjectives for the musicianship of the band members, no clue on the sound of the album. I felt you are reviewing the band instead of the album.
06.06.2012 - 09:42
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A few flaws with this review:

1. No flow to the second paragraph + the whole review reads as a fast sketch rather than a completed piece of writing.
2. Too hyped up --> loses credibility
3. There are some characteristics of the musicians, but I would not really know what to expect from this album after reading this review if I was not familiar with Moving Pictures. There is not much detail about the album itself as Unhealer pointed out.

Sorry, hope you take it as constructive criticism; this is always my purpose of commenting reviews (if I see some drawbacks).
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.06.2012 - 13:01
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by K✞ulu on 06.06.2012 at 09:42

A few flaws with this review:

1. No flow to the second paragraph + the whole review reads as a fast sketch rather than a completed piece of writing.
2. Too hyped up --> loses credibility
3. There are some characteristics of the musicians, but I would not really know what to expect from this album after reading this review if I was not familiar with Moving Pictures. There is not much detail about the album itself as Unhealer pointed out.

Sorry, hope you take it as constructive criticism; this is always my purpose of commenting reviews (if I see some drawbacks).

Thank you for saying that, and I'm not mad rather I'm very happy for reading your comments.

Yes, I didn't say much about sound of this album, but everything else written here only applies to this album not other. So I think you can, reading this, know what to expect from this album.

Thank you all for great comments.
06.06.2012 - 14:13
Rating: 9
AndMetalForAll
kual21
A true classic!! Rush had and have the ability to impress every rock fan...just check the band's latest album Clockwork Angels. How can a band with almost 45 years of existence be able to produce such magnificence? The best band of all time alongside Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Moving Pictures in not in my opinion their best album but one of their best, it's and epic album, mandatory for every Rush fan!!

greets,
kual21
----
greets,
kual21
06.06.2012 - 15:30
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by AndMetalForAll on 06.06.2012 at 14:13

A true classic!! Rush had and have the ability to impress every rock fan...just check the band's latest album Clockwork Angels. How can a band with almost 45 years of existence be able to produce such magnificence? The best band of all time alongside Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Moving Pictures in not in my opinion their best album but one of their best, it's and epic album, mandatory for every Rush fan!!

greets,
kual21

My favorite is 2112 but in my opinion MP is better album....
06.06.2012 - 16:56
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 06.06.2012 at 06:01

Really good album! Too bad the review is mostly based on a list of adjectives for the musicianship of the band members, no clue on the sound of the album. I felt you are reviewing the band instead of the album.

Yeah, agreed. Review could be a lot better. Great album though.
07.06.2012 - 13:06
ianathema

Garbage, both review & album, especially 4 the latter
07.06.2012 - 14:47
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by ianathema on 07.06.2012 at 13:06

why is the album garbage? what's so wrong with it for you to use such a word?
07.06.2012 - 15:03
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by Guest on 07.06.2012 at 14:47

Really man, maybe my review is garbage (but even my review isn't, I explained everything in here, maybe sound less but review is a least good, not garbage), but this album is one of best in rock history. If you think that this album is such a shit please tell me for which album you say that is at least excellent or even perfect.
07.06.2012 - 15:09
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by nicaZe on 07.06.2012 at 15:03

Really man, maybe my review is garbage (but even my review isn't, I explained everything in here, maybe sound less but review is a least good, not garbage), but this album is one of best in rock history. If you think that this album is such a shit please tell me for which album you say that is at least excellent or even perfect.

your review is more than ok with me, but that's a first to see someone calling Moving Pictures "garbage". I for one need an explanation from ianathema.
07.06.2012 - 15:13
nicaZe
Savatage
Quote:
I for one need an explanation from ianathema.

I understand, maybe someone don't like someones review but saying this for such a excellent or even perfect album, need a good argument. I don't insult anybody (everyone have different opinions) but I just want to know why he called this album ''garbage'' Cheers
07.06.2012 - 15:18
ianathema

sorry, the ablum isn't garbage, it's pure excrement, and I think Mark Twain is the most over-rated figure in last century
07.06.2012 - 15:20
nicaZe
Savatage
Quote:
It's pure excrement

thank you for your strong explanation
08.06.2012 - 01:12
Rating: 10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Thanks for the review. I would have a hard time putting into words how I feel about this album.
----
rekt
08.06.2012 - 02:15
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by tea[m]ster on 08.06.2012 at 01:12

Thanks for the review. I would have a hard time putting into words how I feel about this album.

Thank you...you are the first ho give somethong positive here...
08.06.2012 - 05:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by ianathema on 07.06.2012 at 15:18

sorry, the ablum isn't garbage, it's pure excrement, and I think Mark Twain is the most over-rated figure in last century

Are you only having a douchebag moment or are you a douchebag in general? Or are you just a troll thinking you are interesting or something? Because you're failing miserably at it.

You're a newbie here so let me give you a piece of advice: if you ever wanna have a contribution to this forum or whatever discussion, you've got to at least bring an argument, an explanation to your opinion, whteher you praise a band/album or bash a band/album. It's as simple as that. If only you would put your heart into it.
08.06.2012 - 06:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I can't comment on the album as a whole since the only song I've really listened to is "Tom Sawyer", but that is seriously one badass song.

All I can say for the review is that it's purely fanboy-driven: describing everything as awesome and perfect without describing anything. To be fair, however, I do the same on the opposite end of things - bashing albums I hate without delving into the technical aspects beyond a brief description of the sound.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.06.2012 - 08:34
ianathema

Written by Guest on 08.06.2012 at 05:56

Are you only having a douchebag moment or are you a douchebag in general? Or are you just a troll thinking you are interesting or something? Because you're failing miserably at it.

You're a newbie here so let me give you a piece of advice: if you ever wanna have a contribution to this forum or whatever discussion, you've got to at least bring an argument, an explanation to your opinion, whteher you praise a band/album or bash a band/album. It's as simple as that. If only you would put your heart into it.

Im total newbie, and I understand seniority means everything to your aesthetics, that's why you defending this album. Come on, the band's active since 1968, so it has to be great!
By the way, why don't you go get yourself a "decent music" such as Backstreet boys?
08.06.2012 - 13:30
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im total newbie, and I understand seniority means everything to your aesthetics, that's why you defending this album. Come on, the band's active since 1968, so it has to be great!
By the way, why don't you go get yourself a "decent music" such as Backstreet boys?

It's not that you don't like the album, it's that you never explain why you don't like it. I doubt you can do that.
It's got nothing to do with seniority. It was just a piece of advice (you've already misunderstood).
08.06.2012 - 15:36
nicaZe
Savatage
Quote:
Come on, the band's active since 1968, so it has to be great!

Nobody said that, but you need to have strong arguments to say that this album is garbage and no one discuss about the band. We discuss about this album and asked you to tell us why you hate such a masterpiece. I don't say that we are right, but we have presented our views.
09.06.2012 - 00:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.06.2012 at 06:31
All I can say for the review is that it's purely fanboy-driven: describing everything as awesome and perfect without describing anything. To be fair, however, I do the same on the opposite end of things - bashing albums I hate without delving into the technical aspects beyond a brief description of the sound.

That is true, the review doesn't really contain any information about the music contained within the album, just how awesome it is, and describing how great the band members are. In saying that though, this is why I'd be very reluctant to review any album that I'd rate as a 9 or above. I'd be too afraid of coming off as fangirl-ish, and not giving an informative enough review. And like you said, at the other end of things, it's equally easy to fall into the same trap. If you're reviewing an album that you'd give a very low rating to. At either end of the scale, it's difficult to give really informed and detailed reviews of an album, when your passions for it run so deep. Be that negative or positive passion.
09.06.2012 - 01:18
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.06.2012 at 00:54

That is true, the review doesn't really contain any information about the music contained within the album, just how awesome it is, and describing how great the band members are. In saying that though, this is why I'd be very reluctant to review any album that I'd rate as a 9 or above. I'd be too afraid of coming off as fangirl-ish, and not giving an informative enough review. And like you said, at the other end of things, it's equally easy to fall into the same trap. If you're reviewing an album that you'd give a very low rating to. At either end of the scale, it's difficult to give really informed and detailed reviews of an album, when your passions for it run so deep. Be that negative or positive passion.

I do not want to defend myself and this review but each member and his efforts are described here. I describe the bass, guitar and drums. I know that I can write a little more details but I think that you can know, reading this review, what to expect from this album. I read a lot of reviews here on MS and believe me there is twice worse then this.
09.06.2012 - 01:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by nicaZe on 09.06.2012 at 01:18
I describe the bass, guitar and drums. I know that I can write a little more details but I think that you can know, reading this review, what to expect from this album. I read a lot of reviews here on MS and believe me there is twice worse then this.

I wasn't implying this is the worst review I've read on the site, I just noticed a simple flaw that needed mentioning.

As for knowing what to expect... to be honest, not really. You don't describe the sound, just the musicians' abilities. Telling me John Doe is a great vocalist doesn't tell me what he sounds like.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.06.2012 - 01:33
nicaZe
Savatage
Quote:
You don't describe the sound, just the musicians' abilities. Telling me John Doe is a great vocalist doesn't tell me what he sounds like.

Yes you are 100% right here but next bass lines are just thick, gritty, earthshaking, and downright incredible. Let's not also forget that Geddy knows how to manipulate the keyboards which are also top notch, and really add to Rush's sound on here as well. Alex Lifeson is an awesome guitarist, and he is really on fire here with his solid, hard rocking riffs, and awesome, dazzling solos that shred like a sharp razor blade. Neil Peart's drumming on here is absolutely death defying, perfectly timed, and off the hook..tell you a lot. I say in my last post that I know I need to use more words, but I describe ability of band members on thjs album, not the memebers in general
09.06.2012 - 01:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by nicaZe on 09.06.2012 at 01:18
I do not want to defend myself and this review but each member and his efforts are described here. I describe the bass, guitar and drums. I know that I can write a little more details but I think that you can know, reading this review, what to expect from this album. I read a lot of reviews here on MS and believe me there is twice worse then this.

Like Troy, I wasn't implying this is the worst review I've read on this site, or even that it was one of the worst. I was simply offering constructive criticsm. Believe me, I'm a lot harder on my own reviews than anyone else could possibly be, and am very self-critical too. I also acknowledged that if I were to review an album that was almost a 10 (or indeed a 10 even.. ) for me, I'd find it difficult to not fall into the same pitfall that you just did. I wasn't trying to be offensive, constructive criticsm can be a good thing you know, if you see it and take it in the right spirit.
09.06.2012 - 01:39
nicaZe
Savatage
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be offensive, constructive criticsm can be a good thing you know, if you see it and take it in the right spirit.

, trust me I like to to see when people express their opinions, and also like when people give me some advice , good or bad never mind, and thank you. I hope that we will write better reviews next time. Moving Pictures is album that does not need to consume lots of words. If you didn't listen to it...:D xD
09.06.2012 - 01:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by nicaZe on 09.06.2012 at 01:39
:D, trust me I like to to see when people express their opinions, and also like when people give me some advice , good or bad never mind, and thank you. I hope that we will write better reviews next time. Moving Pictures is album that does not need to consume lots of words. If you didn't listen to it...:D xD

You're very welcome, and I hope you now think the advice I gave was good advice. lol

I always strive to do better with my reviews, though it has been a while since I did one... I'm not super confident in my own reviewing abilities.

I agree with what you're saying about Moving Pictures, even if I think it is very slightly overrated. But it is a fantastic album, no doubt about it.
09.06.2012 - 02:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by nicaZe on 09.06.2012 at 01:33
Yes you are 100% right here but next bass lines are just thick, gritty, earthshaking, and downright incredible. Let's not also forget that Geddy knows how to manipulate the keyboards which are also top notch, and really add to Rush's sound on here as well. Alex Lifeson is an awesome guitarist, and he is really on fire here with his solid, hard rocking riffs, and awesome, dazzling solos that shred like a sharp razor blade. Neil Peart's drumming on here is absolutely death defying, perfectly timed, and off the hook..tell you a lot. I say in my last post that I know I need to use more words, but I describe ability of band members on thjs album, not the memebers in general

All I get from that is:

The bass is heavy.
The keyboards are handled well and they complement the overall sound.
Guitar riffs are great, also complementing the overall sound.
Solos are just as great.
Drumming is also just as great, and technical.
----
09.06.2012 - 03:45
Lit.
Account deleted

Mark Twain is the most over-rated figure in last century

Are you nuts or just crazy?
09.06.2012 - 19:47
Rating: 10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

I can't comment on the album as a whole since the only song I've really listened to is "Tom Sawyer", but that is seriously one badass song.

Troy, listen to this album dammit.

As for the review, I have no right to critique any review. I am just happy SOMEONE reviewed it.
----
rekt

Hits total: 5790 | This month: 10