Metal Storm logo
Split albums

07.06.2012 - 09:08
Symmachus

So, I have a few questions about split albums. How can split albums and split EPs be arranged? By that, I mean with both label involvement and independently. How do musicians in different projects come up with the idea to do a split album, and how are people found for this type of endeavor in the first place? A band I'd like to bring up here is Corrupted, who definitely know how to make split albums; metal-archives lists that they have released 14 split albums. Another one is Noothgrush, who did a split with Corrupted, as well as eight other splits; they, at one point, almost exclusively released their material through split albums and split EPs. I'm wondering about split albums and what it takes to make them, since I am interested in doing some. I released something in 2011, or just handed out a few CD copies to friends, which is technically a split EP, even though I did all the music (two different project names used, that's why it's a split). But splits have significanly interested me in the last few years by the way that they have more than one artist on the disc or vinyl or cassette. Also, since it is relevant to the topic, does anyone here have any experience with releasing or helping to release split albums? Thanks for any input that comes around.
10.06.2012 - 16:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Bands doing a split usually are friends. So that helps in contacting each other. Problem might arise with the record companies the bands are under contract with.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2012 - 03:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2012 at 16:02

Bands doing a split usually are friends. So that helps in contacting each other. Problem might arise with the record companies the bands are under contract with.

Unless it's a local label, lots of independant bands will join a label for a split.

I'd love to do one with a band, but I don't think I'm at that level yet
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.06.2012 - 10:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.06.2012 at 03:37

Unless it's a local label, lots of independant bands will join a label for a split.

well, I would call that a compilation.
A split usually features 2 to 4 bands whereas compilations would generally feature more than 4 bands.. Though that is not an official definition of split and compilation it is the one I find handiest to use.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2012 - 14:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.06.2012 at 10:28

Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.06.2012 at 03:37

well, I would call that a compilation.
A split usually features 2 to 4 bands whereas compilations would generally feature more than 4 bands.. Though that is not an official definition of split and compilation it is the one I find handiest to use.

Oops, I shouldn't have used "lots" as I meant 2 or 3.

Just take Lok's split, although I'm not sure if they were already on the label (the other bands)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS