Metal Storm logo
More Of The Best Music Ever Made: Non-Fatally Flawed Favourites Of The Frightful Nineties

Thumbs up: +1
Pretty much my top 5 of each year, 1990-1999. It may have been black metal's finest hour, but for the most part I don't care for the genre - check some other lists for recoms there.

As if I needed to say that... ...on with the show... (looking for more [extraneous] words? scroll down to #44)

[Aw, ain't the artwork pretty? Better than in the seventies, fo' sho'!]

Created by: Syk | 09.03.2012

1. Anacrusis - Manic Impressions Demo
1990 - make track 3 a teeny bit shorter and this would be PERFECT
2. Anthrax - Persistence Of Time
1990 - I love it all without Discharge... and perhaps without Gridlock
3. Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
1990 - Infinite, Step by Step, Twisted into Form, R.i.P, One Foot in Hell
4. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
1990 - Heresy, Cemetery Gates, Domination, Shattered, The Art of Shredding
5. Steve Vai - Passion And Warfare
1990 - Erotic Nightmares, For the Love of God, The Audience Is Listening, Blue Powder, Sisters
6. Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious
1991 - Cpl. Jigsore Quandary, Incarnate Solvent Abuse, Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article
7. Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
1991 - Accumulation of Generalization, Nor the Silent Whispers, Eon
8. Intruder - Psycho Savant
1991 - Face of Hate, Geri's Lament (When), The Enemy Within, Invisible, Final Word, N.G.R.I.
9. Paradise Lost - Gothic
1991 - Falling Forever, Angel Tears, Desolate
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
1991 - Breaking the Girl, I Could Have Lied, Under the Bridge, Naked in the Rain, My Lovely Man
11. Obituary - The End Complete
1992 - I'm in Pain, In the End of Life, Killing Time, The End Complete, Rotting Ways ...really, the complete work
12. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
1992 - Take the Power Back, Bullet in the Head, Know Your Enemy, Township Rebellion, Freedom (same again)
13. ZZ Top - Greatest Hits
1992 - My Head's in Mississippi, I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide, Cheap Sunglasses, Planet of Women, La Grange (really, as above)
14. Deicide - Legion
1992 - Repent to Die, parts of the first song, and... the whole second half
15. Diamond Head - The Friday Rock Show Sessions
1992 - Sucking My Love, In the Heat of the Night, Don't You Ever Leave Me
16. Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
1993 - all brilliant again, but... Midnight Mountain, Fountain of Innocence, Phantasmagoria
17. Resurrection - Embalmed Existence
1993 - Embalmed Existence, Eyes of Blind, Torture Chamber, Pure Be Damned
18. Carcass - Heartwork
1993 - Carnal Forge, Heartwork, Embodiment, Arbeit Macht Fleisch, Blind Bleeding the Blind
19. Brutality - Screams Of Anguish
1993 - Septicemic Plague, Cries of the Forsaken, Cryptorium, Spawned Illusion
20. Wargasm - Ugly
1993 - The Rudest Awakening, Dead Man's Smile, Dreadnaught Day
21. Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water - The Best Of
1994 - only Smoke on the Water and Space Truckin' sound not fully worth the time they're given, here
22. Altar - Youth Against Christ
1994 - another bit of perfection, if only Hypochristianity and Forced Imprudence had not gone on for so long
23. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Sleeps with Angels
1994 - Driveby, SwA, Change Your Mind, Blue Eden, Safeway Cart, Piece of Crap
24. Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
1994 - Lines, Slaughtered, Skin, Rejection, 'n' bonus track The Badge (from The Crow soundtrack)
25. Eric Clapton - The Cream of Clapton (compilation)
1994 - Lay Down Sally, Let It Grow, I Can't Stand It (of course, not much can beat Layla & the Cream tracks)
26. Kataklysm - Sorcery
1995 - the whole Rebirth of Creation trilogy, Elder God, World of Treason (Instrumental Vibrations)
27. Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
1995 - At the Fathomless Depths, Night's Blood, Unhallowed, Retribution/Storm of the Light's Bane, Thorns of Crimson Death
28. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Greatest Hits (compilation)
1995 - Taxman, Texas Flood, Little Wing (just wish Scuttle Buttin' had also been included)
29. Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute
1995 - Warped, Aeroplane, My Friends, Coffee Shop, Pea, One Big Mob, One Hot Minute, Shallow Be Thy Game
30. Collective Soul - Collective Soul
1995 - Simple, Untitled, December, Where the River Flows, Gel, Reunion
31. Anathema - The Silent Enigma
1995 - Restless Oblivion, Shroud of Frost, The Silent Enigma, A Dying Wish
32. Iron Maiden - The X Factor
1995 - Man on the Edge, and the last 4 songs. :D
33. Megadeth - Hidden Treasures
1995 - Breakpoint, Go to Hell, 99 Ways to Die, Paranoid (yes, BS cover :D :D)
34. Kataklysm - Temple Of Knowledge (Kataklysm Part III)
1996 - tracks 3-7 + Exode of Evils (Epoch III - Ladder of the Thousand Parsecs)
35. Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
1996 - TGST, 10's, Floods, and both Suicide Note parts - especially II
36. Beck - Odelay
1996 - Devil's Haircut, The New Pollution, Derelict, Novocane, Jack-Ass, Where It's At
37. Metallica - Load
1996 - Ain't My Bitch, 2x4, King Nothing, Bleeding Me, Wasting My Hate, Mama Said, Outlaw Torn
38. Immolation - Here In After
1996 - Nailed to Gold, Here in After, I Feel Nothing, Christ's Cage
39. Activision - Dark Reign and Interstate '76 (PC game) soundtracks
1997 - the former, one of my favourite game OSTs of all time (basically copy/paste the text from #1), surely some of the most metal-sounding classical music ever recorded, while the bulk of I76 features ripoffs from 70s funk gems (allegedly arranged by a guy from the band Third Eye Blind). Sound[s] [=] AWESOME
40. Collective Soul - Disciplined Breakdown
1997 - Precious Declaration, Listen, Full Circle, Blame, Disciplined Breakdown, Link, Crowded Head
41. Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions
1997 - tracks 1, 6 and maybe 2 knock completely out of the park the respective album versions of those songs. Also love live (disc 2) tracks 1-5 plus the heavenly run-through of Thank You
42. System Of A Down - System Of A Down
1998 - Know, Soil, War?, Mind, Darts
43. The Feelers - Supersystem
1998 - Pressure Man, Venus, Honey God, From Space with Love, Pull the Strings, Supersystem
44. Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way, Baby
1998 - only perhaps the middle cluster, and the outright length prevent this from being a perfect CD as long as you're not too anti-house/electronica/DJs/almost-hip-hop. Like basically all the entries on this list (certainly at least those albums by artists not on MS) there's a number of stand-out, awesome songs (1-3/4/5, Praise You, Love Island, Acid 8000), while it also functions fantastically as a whole album
45. Metallica - Garage Inc.
1998 - Astronomy, The Small Hours, Am I Evil?, Blitzkrieg, Breadfan, The Prince, Killing Time
46. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
1999 - 1-7, Emit Remmus, This Velvet Glove, Savior, Road Trippin'... it's funny, love pretty much all of it but "Porcelain", and my other slightly-lesser-preferred tracks all happen to be those mentioned as the funk rock songs of the release on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication_(album)#Writing_and_composition
47. Anathema - Judgement
1999 - Pitiless, Destiny Is Dead, Judgement, Wings of God, Anyone, Anywhere, Transacoustic
48. Jimi Hendrix - Live at the Fillmore East (live, expansion of 1970's New Year gigs recorded and released as 'Band of Gypsys')
1999 - Power of Soul, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), We Gotta Live Together, Auld Lang Syne, Burning Desire
49. Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2
1999 - the first five tracks all rule, 2 + 5 in particular
50. Monstrosity - In Dark Purity
1999 - The Angels' Venom, Suffering to the Conquered, Angel of Death (yup ? the Slayer song)
51. Honourable mention - goes to countless pieces from the soundtracks of Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2, Gran Turismo 1 & 2, NfS III & IV, Destruction Derby 2, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Trigger, AoE2Exp:Conquerors, FF6, Namco fighters and...
96ish - Die Hard Trilogy

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Syk ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 1   Visited by: 33 users
10.06.2012 - 01:32
Oaken
Hipster
Thumb up for the mentioning of Twisted Into Form. Awesome album.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.

Hits total: 2807 | This month: 13