Metal Storm logo
Scary metal songs you have ever listened to ?

13.06.2012 - 16:31
FOOCK Nam
What are scary metal songs you ever listened to ? I mean the songs that make you feel the scary cold touch on your back and neck. Knowing metal is music for enjoyment, but I guess there can some songs that scareeee you. : )

Mine is theses two:
- Bishop Of Hexen - The Somber Ground of Truth
- Swallow The Sun - Ghost of Laura Palmer

What about yours ?
13.06.2012 - 17:01
Oaken
Hipster
Mayhem's Freezing Moon is quite scary. I'd also add anything from Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum, Reverorum Ib Malacht's What Do You Think Of The Old God We Call Him Judas, Lurker Of Chalice's self-titled and Autopsy's Mental Funeral. There are a lot of songs that scared me but those are the ones I remember right now. :s
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.06.2012 - 17:13
InnerSelf
proofread free
The Ruins of Beverast's debut had some scary moments especially the intro and some of the ambient tracks, Phurpa which I recently discovered thanks to Lokaeda (and Joe) are quite scary too
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
13.06.2012 - 17:32
Hendrikse
Account deleted
+1 for Mayhem. Everytime I listen to "Buried by time and dust" it sends shivers down my spine.

Silencer have pretty messed up songs, and there's always an abundance of Dark Ambient/Black Metal projects somewhere.
13.06.2012 - 17:55
Lit.
Account deleted
Gorguts, specifically Sweet Silence. The very end always gets me.
13.06.2012 - 19:11
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The ending track of the album Lateralus by Tool is scary. I don't want to go to sleep listening to that record, I guess that if I wake up during that song it won't be a nice experience.
14.06.2012 - 00:53
Paz
Elite
"All The Dread Magnificence Of Perversity" by Gnaw Their Tongues. Pretty scary shit, Mories is a master in this category.

14.06.2012 - 01:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Paz on 14.06.2012 at 00:53

"All The Dread Magnificence Of Perversity" by Gnaw Their Tongues. Pretty scary shit, Mories is a master in this category.

It was just a matter of time until Mories was named in this thread. Kudos for that!
BTW I just opened a thread in the extreme metal section for all his projects in case some people are interesting in more of the projects of this sick (yet brilliant) musician.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2012 - 01:52
BreadGod
Account deleted
For me, one of the scariest metal songs would have to be this:
14.06.2012 - 02:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I can honestly say I've never been scared by any music, metal or otherwise. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.06.2012 - 05:38
Iriki

Acctually, nothing scares me to death more than Electroacoustic music. Is there any Metal band with such fusion?
14.06.2012 - 06:12
PorcOpeth
The first time I heard Opeth was the song Serenity Painted Death and at that time I was just getting into metal. The middle part kinda scared me but I fell in love and have been exploring the metal universe since!!!
14.06.2012 - 06:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.06.2012 at 02:45

Same, there have been a few bands that have gotten close, but none have kept me up at night.

My sister used to be scared of "House of 1000 Corpses" by Rob Zombie, espicially withc the long intro.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.06.2012 - 08:06
Timmeh
Dudeman
I'm a big fearless man, nothing scares me. Though I remember years ago, the whole doof... doof... doof... doof... "I am Iron Man" used to creep me out and Mastodon's 'March of the Fire Ants' I used to have to fast forward through all the scary vocals to get to the good riff. It's funny because those songs are quite tame .
14.06.2012 - 09:13
ANGEL REAPER

me too...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.06.2012 - 10:11
Ab.Victor
عرص
When i was 13 i heard "THE Everlasting -Virgin black" for the first time and I was really afraid
but now after 5 years i thought that i'm a true fearless guy , and there are no songs or bands can scare me not a little bit .However, when i heard Fear OF Eternity for first time it was really weird feeling , they are great band but the Magical Atmospheric with keyboard effects and the vocalist voice (sounds Like Zombies)scared me for awhile
(BTW i really like 'em)
check this out
----
Stab me with hate
Enforce my fate
Pain's my belonging
To death I am longing
The death I desire
The dead I admire
See no more illusion
Just thy persecution

So finish your work
Stab me with fork
Torture with knife
End useless life
Slit all my wrists
14.06.2012 - 11:14
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
King Diamond. The insane genius is loved or hated; and those that love it get it. Those that get it FEEL it. I still get chills when I listen to most of his early catalogue (and even a good bit of newer stuff), largely due to some terrifying effects his music had on me as a child. That is all I will say on this.
14.06.2012 - 11:55
Grey Wind
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.06.2012 at 11:14

King Diamond. The insane genius is loved or hated; and those that love it get it. Those that get it FEEL it. I still get chills when I listen to most of his early catalogue (and even a good bit of newer stuff), largely due to some terrifying effects his music had on me as a child. That is all I will say on this.

Gotta agree on King Diamond. My favorites of his are "Melissa"(with Mercyful Fate) and "Abigail", which is such a haunting album, especially if you read the lyrics.
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
14.06.2012 - 12:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Iriki on 14.06.2012 at 05:38

Khanate
Acctually, nothing scares me to death more than Electroacoustic music. Is there any Metal band with such fusion?

I don't get this comment, is your question aimed at Khanate or is it a completely different question unrelated to the band?

Because Khanate is Metal. It's just a very extreme variety of sludge metal with some slight drone influences here and there. There are many bands around that play in a similar vein if you are interested. The easiest way to find them would be to search for the bands/projects that some emmbers of Khanate have for example Sunn O))), Khlyst, Jodis, maybe Moss and other drone metal shit.

Me neither but I take the word "scary" not that literal for this case since I can clearly see what's the idea of this thread. It doesn't need to keep you awake at night as Willy said. There are some bands that definitely create an unpleasant and eeire atmosphere that could be called "scary" for some people regardless of what I think about them myself. For example, Mories work doesn't scare me but it's some of the shit I would totally recommend since such music definitely belongs here. I hardly believe many metalheads have been scared of extreme music so searching for actually "scary" music is hard if not pointless. The main focus seems to be songs do have "scary" vibe regardless if they actually made you pee your pants or not.

TL;DR: I think it's more about the theme rather than if it actually scares you, otherwise the thread would not work as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2012 - 14:37
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
To keep with my recent Dream Theater posting - I've only heard Scenes From A Memory in its entirety three times in the past three years because I'm deathly scared of Finally Free. I'm pretty attached to the characters and learning how they died was waaaaaaaaaay too awful for me, especially because it was such a surprise the first time. I've tried to listen to it two more times, once I had to change it halfway through. Fuckin' scared of that song.
----
7.0 means the album is good
14.06.2012 - 18:16
*!*
Terra Tenebrosa - The Tunnels
listen to the album in the dark...and it will make you uncomfortable.
14.06.2012 - 19:23
Mad Arab666
The first time I listened to "First prayer" followed by "sola fide I" by Deathspell omega was pretty scary. Of course it was in the dark in the middle of the night. (I like to create as much atmosphere as possible).
----
Bring up the wolves head!
14.06.2012 - 20:59
Iriki
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.06.2012 at 12:37

Written by Iriki on 14.06.2012 at 05:38

Khanate

I don't get this comment, is your question aimed at Khanate or is it a completely different question unrelated to the band?

Because Khanate is Metal. It's just a very extreme variety of sludge metal with some slight drone influences here and there.

I meant that, in Metal, the most scary is Khanate, imo, but Electroacoustic music (outside metal) scaries more than Khanate or any other metal band.

Sorry the misundertood
14.06.2012 - 23:32
PocketMetal
Battle Of Mice - Sleep and Dream
if a "woman" screams like that in front of me my soul will leave my body )
15.06.2012 - 09:20
The Turbanator
Portal
Silencer
Terra Tenebrosa
Gnaw Their Tongues
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
15.06.2012 - 09:53
Apatheria
Written by The Turbanator on 15.06.2012 at 09:20

Portal

Only a matter of time until Portal was mentioned. Probably the most unsettling band in extreme metal today.

Axis of Perdition have some pretty eerie tunes in their discography as well.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
15.06.2012 - 10:33
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.06.2012 at 01:52

For me, one of the scariest metal songs would have to be this:

That did absolutely nothing for me. As for scary music, MORT and TWWTG by Blut Aus Nord. Maybe they worked because I listened to them while strolling about an abandoned warehouse at night though.
15.06.2012 - 15:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ab.Victor on 14.06.2012 at 10:11

When i was 13 i heard "THE Everlasting -Virgin black" for the first time and I was really afraid

If you mean the slaw and haunting piano intro, and then the whispering... yeah, I can see what you mean. Never thought of it as potentially scary before, but I can see (hear) it now.
My pick? Probably Colour Of Coma, the closing track to Gallhammer's 1st album. Sounds a bit loke the audio track to a monster movie. Slaughter and Penetrator screaming in terror and agony, with Reaper cacking up like a monkey on happy gas. And the traumatized wimpering at the end as the music dies down. And the out of tune bass.

I don't know if "cacking up" is used overseas. It means laughing really hard.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.06.2012 - 16:03
ANGEL REAPER
New Burzum albums scare the shit out of me each time i got one....when i put my headphones and spin the CD i always become scared that this time Varg managed to screw up....
[sarcasm]
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.06.2012 - 17:26
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Honestly, metal music has never really "scared" me, but I'll tell you what does scare me, the introduction to Gary Wright's Dream Weaver. It's fucking creepy, I admit it! Although if i can only mention metal, i guess you can say that the piano and organ part in Hessian Peel by Opeth that leads up to the death metal part does send chills of anticipation and excitement.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).