Metal Storm logo
The Browser Wars

Original post

Posted by , 11.11.2006 - 23:08
There were too many sex-related topics in the general forum, and while I'm all for stuff sex-related, I thought I'd give everyone a break from it all with some technology stuff. For those unfamiliar, the term "Browser Wars" is the name given to the competition for dominance in the web browser marketplace. The term is most commonly used to refer to two specific periods of time: the particularly intense struggle between Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator during the late 1990s, and the growing threat which Mozilla Firefox poses to Internet Explorer from 2004 onward. Full Wikipedia article on the topic can be found here.

In this topic, we can discuss the different types of browsers, including which browser is your favorite. Of course, if you're going to state which browser is your favorite, gives some reasons as to why so that you are not spamming. My favorite browser would of course have to be Mozilla Firefox. The reason why I like it can be summed up in three words: security, reliability, tabs.

Poll

Which browser do you prefer?

Mozilla Firefox
Internet Explorer
Opera
Other (please specify)

Total votes: 154
09.10.2009 - 13:34
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I've been using firefox for years, but seeing as Chrome has had reasonable praise, I've decided to give it a try, well it seems very good indeed. It's fast, or should I say faster, pages look as they should (facebook was never right for me under firefox) and the absence of a big menu bar at the top means more of the website. I'm gonna give it a few days then if a still like it and don't find to many flaws it will be goodbye firefox, hello chrome.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
11.10.2009 - 05:20
Archetype

Firefox for me and Firefox Portable when I'm on the go. I tried using Chrome for a while and it wasn't bad but the lack of adblock capability and the fact that everything you do gets submitted to Google wasn't something I was comfortable with.
14.10.2009 - 05:52
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Ive become fond of google chrome searching for stuff is easy and theres no annoying tool bars it doesnt break as much as IE
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
21.10.2009 - 02:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Definitely chrome... been using it since March and it's still as quick as ever and easy to use interface in terms of configuration. So not used to FF or IE on other computers...
----
loves 小巫
03.09.2011 - 18:40
king_matt

Well this poll is definitely out of date. Chrome should be on it as well as Safari.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
04.09.2011 - 00:53
Metal_4Ever

Definitely Google Chrome.
04.09.2011 - 19:49
MetalSpider

I use Chrome...it's the best of the bunch imo.

Firefox is great, but I personally think Chrome is better designed. Internet Explorer has gotten better but still not as good as Firefox or Chrome. I've never tried Opera, so I can't say anything about that. Safari is pretty good but again, I prefer Chrome.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
06.09.2011 - 05:40
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I am a chrome user.
Its lighter, the design is a whole lot better, the extension options are amazing. Plus I have a Chrome, to cell Android phone option that is pretty amazing.
06.09.2011 - 19:57
KMR

Chrome is the fastest everyday use browser, not all features are working well but time is precious. For work I mostly use Firefox cause of huge amount of developers addons.

Chrome should be first on this list.
----
Nothing is sacred.
06.09.2011 - 20:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
After using Chrome and Firefox for a long time and skipping back and fourth between them I can conclude that after using Opera for a few days it was by far the best browser for me. No way will I go back to those other two. Although I do use a Chrome theme as its much more elegant.
06.09.2011 - 22:03
KMR

Written by Guest on 06.09.2011 at 20:15

After using Chrome and Firefox for a long time and skipping back and fourth between them I can conclude that after using Opera for a few days it was by far the best browser for me. No way will I go back to those other two. Although I do use a Chrome theme as its much more elegant.

Opera bought me with gestures, it contains mail client, and many other features. I was using Opera for some years but later I skipped to Chrome and the speed of working was the reason. Chrome is lightweight and simple (and nicely themed), and these are points for my winner.
----
Nothing is sacred.
06.09.2011 - 22:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KMR on 06.09.2011 at 22:03

Opera bought me with gestures, it contains mail client, and many other features. I was using Opera for some years but later I skipped to Chrome and the speed of working was the reason. Chrome is lightweight and simple (and nicely themed), and these are points for my winner.

I didn't notice any speed increase with Chrome (or rather decrease with Opera), if there is it's probably negligible. Chrome may be lighter but I never liked the idea of having separate processes for new tabs and, well, I'm running 4gb of RAM so Opera can take up as much memory as it wants, I'm not using it for anything else apart from gaming. The gestures were the major selling point for me, as well as the smoother default scrolling and the extensions are great (I also like the little key icon for logging in and stuff). Opera has little annoyances though. The little icons in the bookmark bar regularly disappear, the shoddy customisation menu, clicking the mousewheel which opens up a tab and takes you straight to it instead of opening a background tab and some pages refuse to accept Opera (student finance UK for example).

The main reason I turned to it was because my old PC was shite at running videos on Youtube and such, it was extremely choppy with all browsers except Opera which managed to run them smoothly which to me suggests the others aren't necessarily as light as people say.
07.09.2011 - 21:37
Glaucus

I am voting and speaking out of bias, but Firefox does everything that I need, even though it is a bit of a memory hog (sometimes goes over 250,000k of memory), but! I'm running 8gigs on my system, so... Doesn't really effect me.

Chrome seems nifty, but I've used it and wasn't impressed. A lot of people talk about add-ons, but like I said about cell phones in another post... It's a bloody web browser, I don't see to use of add-ons save for plugins for viewing certain content.

Firefox seems to be the most flexible, though, able to view various forms of code universally. Though, that isn't 'too' much a feature of Firefox, as much as it's smart programming.

...I just like Firefox.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
07.09.2011 - 21:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Chrome is interesting to me as i could just turn every English website (and almost all of them are in English) into a language i want to learn, automatically. might make understanding quite difficult but the increased exposure should be great.
09.08.2012 - 15:13
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Chrome... fast and simple.
12.08.2012 - 23:39
FOOCK Nam

I favor Chrome most, the only stable browser I have been with. IE and Firefox too heavy and stagnant. Safari is good but not fast and enduring when I open tons of tabs like Chrome.
01.02.2021 - 02:54
JavierPaper

Brave and Falkon are awesome!