04. Dark And Gray
05. So It Feels Like Misunderstanding When
06. All My Hopes And Dreams Turn Into
07. Affliction XXVII II MMIX

Top 20 albums of 2010: 15

Guest review by
tea[m]ster
Rating:
Frequent loneliness. Diminished responsiveness. Unwilling interventions. Unforgiving treatments. Symptoms resonating in a child with autism.

That's the daunting task Blindead take on with this vast, 7 song, 45 minute concept album: Describing a young girl's world infected with this mysterious disease. Cleverly done, the song titles form a paragraph warning you just how depressing and despondent this tale will be. Do away with smirks and smiles because this opus is not a joyful piece of work. Hearing a creaking upstairs floor, eerie sounding leaky pipes and mumbled voices in the very first few seconds of the first song portrays a drab basement straight out of a Hitchcock film and signals what's yet to come.

Read more ››
published 01.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 66   Visited by: 775 users
12.10.2014 - 06:23
Rating: 7
chomskeet
Hmmmm, I listened to this one and have to say I'm not very impressed for a couple reasons. First, the sound isn't really my cup of tea but I decided to give the lyrics a chance, especially since they are apparently writing an album about autism. I'm an MD psychiatrist who treats autism and while the lyrics do mention a lot about isolation and nothingness I can't find ANY other parts which encapsulate aspects of the autistic experience at all. In general the experience is not one of "nothingness" at all. It's usually very intense and anxiety ridden. If you look on the internet it will you will see that autistic individuals can have both increased sensitivities in some sensory domains as well as lower sensitivities in others. I'm sure that the writers of this album will cite the lack of sensitivity argument for the lyrics and sounds. However, in my experience the lack of sensitivity is not a common feature that patients describe as being the problem. It's usually the hypersensitivities which are responsible for the intensity of the autistic experience and the anxiety that comes with it, a sentiment which is poorly explored musically and not explored at all lyrically in this album. Some examples would include "muted, distant, unrecognizable sounds," "I can't smell anything," "my sense of taste ruthlessly vanished somewhere." There is no mention of a heightened experience of anxiety or perception in the whole album. "Delusional perspective, falling apart." Autistic individuals are rarely delusional. A delusion is a fixed false belief and is common to see in psychotic disorders like schizophrenia or bipolar mania. "Why can't I remember who I am, what I am?" Again, this sentiment is not a feature of autism. I can't find many other lyrical examples mainly because most of the lyrics are vague or just focus on loneliness/isolation.

If you want to actually acquire some insight into the autistic experience I'd recommend the very easy read by a non-verbal 13 year old autistic boy named Naoki Higashida titled "The Reason I Jump." Before the next metal band tries to do an album about autism maybe they should read about it first.
12.10.2014 - 07:47
Rating: 9
Diverge
"Because the concept wasn't depicted with 100% scientific accuracy and because the sound isn't my cup of tea, it's a pretty average album." Not the most convincing argument you could have made. In all seriousness, though, you raise some valid points about representation. I don't think we're going to agree on this at all, but I thought I'd message to perhaps shine a little light on why this is such a highly received album and why many of the listeners find the concept enthralling and well executed.

I think it's rather presumptuous to assume that the band didn't research about autism well enough. The lyrics can be a little vague at points, but overall, I think it evokes the hypersensitivities and the anxieties that you're mentioning here. The music is very dynamic (especially the opening track and the third track), and the aggressively delivered lyrics certainly evoke the most extreme of human experiences that autistic children experience (at least for the majority of the listeners). This is indisputably an INTENSE AND ANXIOUS album, and the middle of the album is very uncomfortable to listen to at points because of it; to say the band didn't capture this anxiety is absolutely ludicrous and it's a point of view no one on this site is going to sympathize with. Many of the lyrics used, specifically related to her inability to remember herself, are just embellishments used to emphasize the child's internal frustrations. The artist has creative liberties and provided it doesn't detract from the ability of the concept to remain engaging and authentic, embellishments in the child's behaviour can be used to make the album even more harrowing and direct to listeners. I think most listeners aren't expecting the treatment of autism to be scientific in nature; it should just conform mostly to reality, and that will be sufficient.

So why is it a (borderline?) classic? Because most listeners got enthralled by the concept, the harrowing transitions between perfectly-executed atmospheres, and the powerful instrumental and vocal performances. It gets down to the most salient aspects of autism, and adds enough flourishes to truly propel the album to an intense climax without feeling like they're trying too hard. I can totally understand why you wouldn't find the concept as convincing as most of us, but the atmospheres constructed here are unbelievable, even for post-metal.
12.10.2014 - 17:58
Rating: 7
chomskeet
Written by Diverge on 12.10.2014 at 07:47

"Because the concept wasn't depicted with 100% scientific accuracy and because the sound isn't my cup of tea, it's a pretty average album." Not the most convincing argument you could have made.

This is indisputably an INTENSE AND ANXIOUS album, and the middle of the album is very uncomfortable to listen to at points because of it; to say the band didn't capture this anxiety is absolutely ludicrous and it's a point of view no one on this site is going to sympathize with.

I think most listeners aren't expecting the treatment of autism to be scientific in nature; it should just conform mostly to reality, and that will be sufficient.

So why is it a (borderline?) classic? Because most listeners got enthralled by the concept, the harrowing transitions between perfectly-executed atmospheres, and the powerful instrumental and vocal performances. It gets down to the most salient aspects of autism, and adds enough flourishes to truly propel the album to an intense climax without feeling like they're trying too hard. I can totally understand why you wouldn't find the concept as convincing as most of us, but the atmospheres constructed here are unbelievable, even for post-metal.

I re-listened to the album a couple more times and fair enough, musically it does have intense and anxious parts and it is pretty solid, plus it's not like I REALLY know what autism should "sound" like anyway, even as an autism researcher. If they had said that this was a concept album about schizophrenia the musical representation would have been much more on point, as would the lyrics (although still pretty vague). The atmospheres are tight and there are definitely some outstanding things about this album so maybe my original 6 review was too low and in hindsight I probably should have rated it a 7 as my rating now reflects. It's pretty unfair to summarize my review as my problem being that it "wasn't depicted with 100% scientific accuracy," that's a straw man argument, the definition of which can be found on wikipedia. There's absolutely nothing in the lyrics which describe autism well and it doesn't "conform mostly to reality" or "get down to the most salient aspects of autism," not in any clinical understanding of autism (at least lyrically). Normally I don't give a big part of the rating to lyrics, but if this is truly a concept album about autism, and it's unclear what autism should sound like, then the lyrics should be a big part of what propels the concept, right? Shouldn't SOME of the lyrics be different than vague loneliness dime-a-dozen metal lyrics?

Here are some lyrical themes about the autistic experience that easily could have been explored. I got this list just by skimming the autism article on wikipedia.
1) Difficulty making eye contact
2) The drive for "sameness" and routine
3) The tendency for hypersensitivity (yes there's hyposensitivity too but this doesn't seem to be what bothers autistic individuals the most)
4) Trouble recognizing facial expressions and the confusion and alienation this can lead to
5) Circumscribed interests- feeling compelled to learn a lot about very specific topics
6) Stereotypies- very hard to control movements such as flapping one's hands or body rocking
7) Difficulties interpreting social situations

I know I sound pretentious dinging this album for these reasons but it's really hard for me to think that they gave the concept much thought/research in regards to lyrics. Maybe the next time a band writes an album about mental illness they should sit down with those afflicted for a couple hours and ask them, "what does it feel like to be you?"
27.10.2014 - 15:04
Rating: 10
MelancholiaC
How can anyone know how another feels? It's not the job of an artist to give a comprehensive or "objective" representation of autism as a medical condition, nor should it be; the ethos that flows from the music and lyrics ultimately stems from passions most strongly identified by the creators. It's just my opinion, but all great art is created for entirely selfish reasons, and the only truth sought in the process is internal and private, because the act of creating music/art is one of the most fundamental expressions of individualism. So unlike the scientific researcher or the medical professional, it is not in the nature of the artist to "service society" (and I would argue that intent could actually harm the creative quality).

There are moments on this album that resonate with every fibre of my being, and certainly does not happen because I try to imagine the perspective of an autistic child. To me, art is created in the space between megalomania and extreme self-loathing; that's exactly the way I consume it and why after many listens I find this album at the absolute zenith of its kind (whatever you call post-metal). Dare I say its exquisiteness may even surpass Neurosis's Through Silver In Blood! Although more time is needed to testify that legacy, I think.

P.S. Regarding the roman numeral in the album title, I think the band meant 28/02/1996 and honestly misspelled MCMXCVI... It's the only way I can explain it. To me it makes sense with the last title track Affliction 28/02/2009 echoing the date that the main character dies at 13 - I know, I'm morbid as fuck but what else is new lol. The album starts with conception (the lustful tension in track 1), then "After 38 Weeks" represents the fetal phase (38 weeks being the typical length of pregnancy, the atmosphere being very confined and vocals distant, mumbled, as well as lyrics like "I can't smell anything", "gravity is non-existent" indicating intrauterine consciousness), through a childhood robbed of innocence, eventually ends with Affliction in hopelessness and death ("one coffin, one grave, one priest and a word to say").

Anyway, that's how I hear it. Of course if anybody wants to share and argue about other interpretations, feel free - I welcome thee!
27.10.2014 - 16:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by MelancholiaC on 27.10.2014 at 15:04

Anyway, that's how I hear it. Of course if anybody wants to share and argue about other interpretations, feel free - I welcome thee!

I love your post, makes perfect sense to me. That's the beauty with art - can interpret it any way you want. As far as the Roman numerals, their are a couple of Polish MSers who frequent these boards. I am not saying they know Blindead personally, but I bet they can shed some light on this subject.
----
rekt
28.10.2014 - 10:45
MelancholiaC
Written by tea[m]ster on 27.10.2014 at 16:33

Written by MelancholiaC on 27.10.2014 at 15:04

I love your post, makes perfect sense to me. That's the beauty with art - can interpret it any way you want. As far as the Roman numerals, their are a couple of Polish MSers who frequent these boards. I am not saying they know Blindead personally, but I bet they can shed some light on this subject.

Thanks man! I rarely post such word vomit anywhere online, but this being one of my favourite albums of all time (and one I discovered by mere coincidence here on MS), once I started I just couldn't shut up about it lol!

As Blindead have interviews very rarely and practically exclusively in Polish, they're a very difficult band to research - and believe me, I've spent hours trying to decipher as much as I could through jumbled fragments via Google Translate...
22.01.2015 - 12:23
John Shock
Is it me or the song titles are all connected from the first song to the last, as a large phrase?!
And...is that a number at the end?
Could be a date or something...
24.01.2015 - 18:11
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by John Shock on 22.01.2015 at 12:23

And...is that a number at the end?
Could be a date or something...

Affliction is a concept album - the history of girl affected by autism. This number is 29.02.1996 (translated into arabic numerals). On this day she was born.
24.01.2015 - 18:40
Paz
Elite
Written by Góral on 24.01.2015 at 18:11

This number is 29.02.1996 (translated into arabic numerals).

But then again

Written by Sand on 18.06.2014 at 19:24

MXMVI is not a number. 1996 would be MCMXCVI and 1906 would be MCMVI,which means that they either made a mistake or wanted to fuck us in the brain.
24.01.2015 - 18:55
John Shock
Quote:
Quote:
MXMVI is not a number. 1996 would be MCMXCVI and 1906 would be MCMVI,which means that they either made a mistake or wanted to fuck us in the brain.

Well, probably yes...like many other bands of this genre!
24.01.2015 - 21:05
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 24.01.2015 at 18:40

Written by Góral on 24.01.2015 at 18:11

This number is 29.02.1996 (translated into arabic numerals).

But then again

Written by Sand on 18.06.2014 at 19:24

Heh, hoary old chestnut But damn, it should be clarified. MXMVI is definitely not a mistake:

M - 1000
X - 10
V - 5
I - 1

MXMVI = M + (M - X) + V + I
MXMVI = 1000 + (1000 - 10) + 5 + 1 = 1996

The title is number 1996. This notation is correct as well.
25.01.2015 - 00:16
Paz
Elite
^ Thanks for the math lesson!

PS. Take a look at my previous posts and you'll know that I feel the same way
25.01.2015 - 01:20
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 25.01.2015 at 00:16

PS. Take a look at my previous posts and you'll know that I feel the same way

Yes I know Paz. It was something like generally speaking. And besides, you were always better at math than me
25.01.2015 - 15:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
120 more votes and it's in the top 200
----
rekt
25.01.2015 - 16:04
Paz
Elite
Made an impact too
12.08.2016 - 20:33
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Oh how I wish that something in post-metal would come to this level. Cult of Luna comes close sometimes, but this is still the best stuff in this genre.
12.08.2016 - 20:39
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.08.2016 at 20:33

Oh how I wish that something in post-metal would come to this level. Cult of Luna comes close sometimes, but this is still the best stuff in this genre.

I couldn't have said it better myself
12.08.2016 - 20:55
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 12.08.2016 at 20:39

Written by Guest on 12.08.2016 at 20:33

I couldn't have said it better myself

Haha thanks dude! Like you also said in your comment, Salvation would come as second and then probably Oceanic by Isis but I'm not quite sure about that. But I bet Blindead is killer live, I would like to see them so hard sometime.
12.08.2016 - 21:02
Paz
Elite
Written by Guest on 12.08.2016 at 20:55

But I bet Blindead is killer live, I would like to see them so hard sometime.

Yeah, even better than on the album... Fortunately, I was able to catch them with their original singer Patryk
12.08.2016 - 21:23
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 12.08.2016 at 21:02

Written by Guest on 12.08.2016 at 20:55

But I bet Blindead is killer live, I would like to see them so hard sometime.

Yeah, even better than on the album... Fortunately, I was able to catch them with their original singer Patryk

Fuck, I'm really jealous now. It cant be any better than seeing them with their original singer, so
14.06.2017 - 16:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Oh how I miss Patrick Zwolinski. I wonder what he is up to?
----
rekt
20.06.2017 - 23:18
Paz
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 14.06.2017 at 16:56

Oh how I miss Patrick Zwolinski. I wonder what he is up to?

You don't have to thank

Also, there will be a new album by Proghma-C featuring Patryk and Matteo Bassoli (?)

22.06.2017 - 14:59
VIG
Account deleted
Not a perfect 10 for me (at least not yet) but I think I could easily call this one of if not my favorite post metal record.
22.06.2017 - 21:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Paz on 20.06.2017 at 23:18

You don't have to thank

Oh but I will! Thanks for the update!
----
rekt
09.07.2017 - 06:01
solar
So good. Easily one of the best post metal I've heard. I should mention that the vocals (both clean and otherwise) are exactly how I would have wanted them to be.
09.07.2017 - 13:55
Paz
Elite
Written by solar on 09.07.2017 at 06:01

So good. Easily one of the best post metal I've heard. I should mention that the vocals (both clean and otherwise) are exactly how I would have wanted them to be.

QFT
19.07.2017 - 05:35
VIG
Account deleted

I should mention that the vocals (both clean and otherwise) are exactly how I would have wanted them to be.

The vocals are so fucking perfect. I thought about it, and this is easily my favorite post metal album.
19.07.2017 - 14:01
solar
Written by Guest on 19.07.2017 at 05:35

I should mention that the vocals (both clean and otherwise) are exactly how I would have wanted them to be.

The vocals are so fucking perfect. I thought about it, and this is easily my favorite post metal album.

Right? There are few albums which motivate me to read the lyrics, else I usually don't bother. Affliction was one, and it just goes powerfully deep into emotions. Post is not so boring after all? : P
19.07.2017 - 15:51
VIG
Account deleted
Written by solar on 19.07.2017 at 14:01

Post is not so boring after all? : P

Some bands really can be boring, but Blindead is awesome, and I can't see how someone can disagree.
30.07.2017 - 17:05
VIG
Account deleted
This band (and post metal in general) has been growing on me more and more. Blindead are becoming one of my new favorites.

Hits total: 17856 | This month: 67