Disc II [bonus]
01. Mirror Mirror [live]
02. The Bells Of Acheron [live]
03. Bearer Of Pain [live]
04. A Cry From The Crypt [live]
05. Interview
+ Mirror Mirror [video]

Additional info
Recorded in August 1988 at Nacka Recording House, Stockholm, Sweden.
Mixed at Montezuma Recording, Stockholm, Sweden.
Mastered at Polar Studios, Stockholm, Sweden.
Produced by Candlemass.

Guest review by
Passenger
Rating:
With time Candlemass deservedly won the reputation of Metal Legends and I think it's fair to say that there are four main reasons for their status: "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus," "Nightfall," "Ancient Dreams" and "Tales Of Creation." There's no denying it, these albums are absolute cornerstones of Metal; the originators of the Doom genre, they are full of brilliant songs and music played like no other band had ever played.

Read more ››
published 20.06.2006 | Comments (8)

Found in 15 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 463 users
16.06.2012 - 14:15
Rating: 8
musicalkaratekid

This album was the one to introduce me to Candlemass, and how lucky i was. 'Ancient Dreams' is a fantastic example of how good doom metal can get, whilst also providing the listener with such a gloomy, dull atmosphere. Not quite as good as the first two albums, but it still has its moments.
28.04.2013 - 22:51
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Messiah Marcolin gave Candlemass its mass.
----
07.12.2013 - 18:04
Rating: 7
Erik M.

I think the vocals on here are extremely annoying at times, really too over-the-top. I guess I just highly prefer Johan Längqvist over Messiah Marcolin (even though he did the vocals on Nightfall as well). Overall this album is far less great than Nightfall and especially EDM.

Still a good album, but honestly I can't enjoy it a lot. Somehow the style is very different from the first two albums (especially the debut), as for example this is way less doomy.
07.12.2013 - 18:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 07.12.2013 at 18:04

I think the vocals on here are extremely annoying at times, really too over-the-top. I guess I just highly prefer Johan Längqvist over Messiah Marcolin (even though he did the vocals on Nightfall as well). Overall this album is far less great than Nightfall and especially EDM.

Still a good album, but honestly I can't enjoy it a lot. Somehow the style is very different from the first two albums (especially the debut), as for example this is way less doomy.

I really like the album, and Messiah is a great overall vocalist, but he is too theatrical at times on this. Mirror Mirror in particular bothers me a little. I personally find the album after this one to be the better album.
07.12.2013 - 18:44
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 07.12.2013 at 18:28

I really like the album, and Messiah is a great overall vocalist, but he is too theatrical at times on this. Mirror Mirror in particular bothers me a little. I personally find the album after this one to be the better album.

Yep, I agree about Messiah but he's overdoing it here in my opinion. On Nightfall he did a way better job. Or it's just that the music there appeals to me more, just like the music on EDM appeals to me the most out of the albums I've heard so far. I haven't heard the 4th album (I'm chronologically checking out their discography... taking my time). Is it more similar to this one, Nightfall or EDM?
07.12.2013 - 18:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 07.12.2013 at 18:44

Yep, I agree about Messiah but he's overdoing it here in my opinion. On Nightfall he did a way better job. Or it's just that the music there appeals to me more, just like the music on EDM appeals to me the most out of the albums I've heard so far. I haven't heard the 4th album (I'm chronologically checking out their discography... taking my time). Is it more similar to this one, Nightfall or EDM?

On the whole I'd say Tales of Creation is heavier and doomier in tone than this. I only heard it relatively recently with respect to when I first heard the 3 original albums and I kicked myself to leaving it so late as I thought it was of their mediocre middle-era albums, which it totally isn't. There's a slightly cheesy power metal-esque instrumental in Into the Unfathomed Tower but that's easily overlooked.

Give it a go yourself some time.

07.12.2013 - 21:42
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 07.12.2013 at 18:47

On the whole I'd say Tales of Creation is heavier and doomier in tone than this. I only heard it relatively recently with respect to when I first heard the 3 original albums and I kicked myself to leaving it so late as I thought it was of their mediocre middle-era albums, which it totally isn't. There's a slightly cheesy power metal-esque instrumental in Into the Unfathomed Tower but that's easily overlooked.

Give it a go yourself some time.

From your description I'm guessing I'd like it more than Ancient Dreams. Thanks anyway, I'll check it out.
14.12.2014 - 11:06
NorthernDickhead

Not very happy about the production. Guitar sound is weak and flat compared Tales of Creation. Songs are decent Candlemass stuff though.
20.02.2017 - 23:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A bit as Erik says, weakest whit Messiah IMO, best song here was a cover song then 1th one, even epicenes of song titles are cool as well
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.11.2021 - 00:54
quieted_darkness

Just received my signed vinyl of this album and gave it a full spin today. I must say it was worth every penny. Also not sure if it matters much but I think the original album cover had blue text for the album, "Ancient Dreams" instead of the white-colored letters here.

Hits total: 10952 | This month: 22