Mr. Philip Wilcox - accordion

Additional info
Release dates:
Germany/Austria: July 20, 2012
Europe: July 23, 2012
North America: August 14, 2012
Everywhere else: July 23, 2012

Formats:
- Jewelcase CD. Budget edition with 8-page booklet and no extras.
- Digipak CD. Premium edition in 3-wing Digipak with 20-page booklet. Including bonus track "Dead Love".

- Artbook 2CD/DVD. Collector's edition in 28 x 28 cm hardcover book with 48 pages. Including bonus track "Dead Love", bonus CD with two exclusive cover songs, and DVD with "Gatherer Of The Pure" video clip. Limited to 1000 copies.

- Gatefold 2LP. Vinyl edition with 12-page booklet and poster. Including bonus track "Dead Love". Limited to 500 copies.

Recordedat the Gentelmen's C;ub & the Coach House between August - December 1891.
Except Mr Bishop's trap kit, which was recorded by Robert Hobson at http://www.silent-city.co.uk.

Produced & engineered by Henry Brondson/The Gentleman. Mixed & mastred by Henry Brondson.

With: The Projectionist - Live lighting & imagery, moving pictures & animation.
Cover design & illustration: Karolina Szymkiewicz.
Layout, design & lithographics: Grum.
Scratchings: Curse.
Photography: The Projectionist.

Guest review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
Let me tell you what I believe is the ultimate measure of a band's talent: how many genres they can blend together into a mass fusion of sound, while at the same time sticking to the core base of the primary genre from which they come. A Forest Of Stars have already proven themselves masters at such a technique with 2008's The Corpse Of Rebirth and 2010's lesser-acclaimed (but still impressive) Opportunistic Thieves Of Spring. And here they are in 2012, ready to split the black metal camp in half again with another stunningly outlandish album. The thing about the band that one should take note of is that they never do the same thing twice. True, they have managed to craft a distinct sound that can genuinely be called "theirs," yet (much like Enslaved) this sound is always being embellished upon. On A Shadowplay For Yesterdays, we see it evolving into a much more folklore-ish territory, with the Victorian themes we all love and know the band for being taken to a new height.

Read more ››
published 21.10.2012 | Comments (8)

Maybe, maybe, more accessible than their previous two offerings, yet still completely unique, A Forest Of Stars didn't disappoint at all with this new gem of an album.

Darkside Momo's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Account deleted, X-Ray Rod, Troy Killjoy, Introspekrieg, Ag Fox, Promonex
Bandcamp music player

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 798 users
19.06.2012 - 23:59
Hendrikse
Account deleted
That's some really nice artwork, very different though.
20.06.2012 - 00:07
Rating: 9
Oaken
Hipster
I'm very anticipated for this. I revisited Opportunistic a few days ago, and I found I love it even more. From what it looks like, the songs are shorter than the monolithic lengths on their previous albums, and who knows, that might turn up as a good thing.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
20.07.2012 - 00:27
Sync
Account deleted
Just got the album and I'll give it a spin later tonight. Having 'Gatherer of the Pure' full blast is very good now, considering the music video is quite quiet
20.07.2012 - 17:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just give atry and this abnd is personality, onw style, music, best BM from UK, band has avantgard touche into muisc, great harmony and melodty combinations, interesting lyrics, good album werry good and I wish it will stay more underground, this is english arcturus
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.07.2012 - 05:53
Fredd
Account deleted
Want.
22.07.2012 - 22:03
Kosst Amojan
This is quite different than previous album, more mellow and melodic, with less black metal shrieks from Mr. Curse and more clean, angelic vocals from Katie Stone, but I can't tell it's worse than it's predecessor. It's different, but in a good sense. Surely not a dissapointment and it's one of the better metal albums I heard this year so far.
24.07.2012 - 04:01
Rating: 8
Mechaniacal
Well this surprised the shit out of me.
24.07.2012 - 16:15
Sync
Account deleted
Wow really? 7.4 after 14 votes?

Looks like I'll have to sort that out.
25.07.2012 - 17:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Personally I think this is a big step up from what I felt was a rather disappointing sophomore release in Opportunistic Thieves, but still ultimately pales in comparison to their debut.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.07.2012 - 17:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.07.2012 at 17:45

Personally I think this is a big step up from what I felt was a rather disappointing sophomore release in Opportunistic Thieves, but still ultimately pales in comparison to their debut.

I liked their second album... but it was definitely a less awesome experience than the debut. This album, while being better than the second one is still not as brilliant as the debut.
So yeah, basically... I agree with your words but maybe not with the same intensity since I didn't exactly felt the second album was a dissapointment.

It definitely dserves more than 7,6 overall... what's up with that?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.07.2012 - 23:32
malaikat
My god, I love this. Best AFOS album for me by far.
31.07.2012 - 00:39
Oaken
Hipster
Too many textures, styles and instruments blended in this wonderful musical project. Also the shortening of the tracks was very successful. My favorite tracks were prey tell of the church fate and gatherer of the pure.
----
02.08.2012 - 14:12
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
The vocalist reminds me of Fish for some reason. Even when he moves from clean to harsh it's still recognizable to me. He has a similar technique. Brilliant music too.
11.08.2012 - 17:16
Awesomesaurus
A Prophet For A Pound Of Flesh is a killer track!
----
Always be a poet, even in prose.

A man who wants to lead the whole orchestra - must turn his back to the crowd.
12.08.2012 - 03:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

The snarl vocals remind me of Hanternoz.

Fantastic song, I love the french-homeless-1887-vibe.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.08.2012 - 03:33
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 12.08.2012 at 03:14

The snarl vocals remind me of Hanternoz.

Fantastic song, I love the french-homeless-1887-vibe.

The riff at 3:12 is killer.
----
17.08.2012 - 17:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Definite contender for black metal album of 2012. Fantastic release. Prey Tell of the Church's Fate and The Underside of Eden are my favorites, but the whole album front-to-back is amazing.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.08.2012 - 14:22
Night Sight
their music is too long but good
not great but good
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
24.08.2012 - 14:34
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The bonus track, Dead Love, reminds me of It Can't Rain All The Time by Jane Siberry (the song on the end credits on The Crow).
Hey, would the pigs on Gatherer Of The Pure count as session musicians?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.08.2012 - 19:19
SceneryOfLoss
Loved it, really great discovery! Somehow, it made me remember about Estatic Fear.
28.08.2012 - 13:31
PēterisP
I am wondering if two last tracks are not a sign form AFoS, that they are moving away from BM roots. that would be a shame. Still great album - especially Gatherer of the Pure
----
Metalhead since 1987
28.08.2012 - 14:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by PēterisP on 28.08.2012 at 13:31

I am wondering if two last tracks are not a sign form AFoS, that they are moving away from BM roots. that would be a shame. Still great album - especially Gatherer of the Pure

Lucas gave the same feelings which I share about that. He put it best in his review of their second album:

Quote:
I 'feared' A Forest Of Stars would prove to be one of the bands that would rapidly depart Black metal in favour of stronger, genre-transcending experimentation. Which would not necessarily be a bad thing, but still, we don't want to lose too many worthwhile to non-metal genres. Having a couple of strong, unique and daring extreme acts around is very healthy for our precious little scene.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2012 - 14:10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Man's Laughter is easily my favourite track, can't go past that sound from about 16 seconds in.
28.08.2012 - 15:54
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Liked it. It gets more melodic and better on the second half.
28.08.2012 - 16:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
All glory to the unconventional black metal
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.08.2012 - 03:29
Rating: 6
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
This is interesting. I will have to spin it a few more times...just to soak it all in!
----
rekt
08.09.2012 - 00:49
basquetal
For me, the only problem with this album is the voice i do not like it ... the rest is pretty good, the song "A Prophet For A Pound Of Flesh" is pure magic.
26.09.2012 - 00:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
I like it a lot, not as much as the first two but it still is damn amazing. But if I had to pick a favorite BM album this year I'd still go with Reverence (counting Cosmosophy out since it's more Industrial than Black)
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.01.2013 - 16:47
Draugen
Why did I not listen to this album earlier? Oh well...

I had totally forgotten how absolutely brilliant this band is. Their highly unique sound creates some truly original listening experiences and A Shadowplay For Yesterdays is no exception to this. The album is at times psychedelic and twisted but at others fairly dark and sometimes straight up depressing - much due to the woeful vocals.

In addition to this, what really stood out to me regarding this particular release, is how utterly beautiful it is. The guitar, flute, violin and female vocals are all contributing to a mesmerizing atmosphere which is present throughout most of the album but mainly in the second half. This was something that took me by surprise and while it is true that the band have moved away from the more prevalent black metal sound of previous releases, I for one welcome this atmospheric and experimental approach.
01.03.2013 - 16:08
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Saw this album at a special offer today and I'm glad I bought it. An excellent find and one of the most original metal albums I've heard in a while. 8/10 for now, might move up to a 9 after a few more listens.

Hits total: 18512 | This month: 35