Metal Storm logo
Katatonia - Release New Lyric Video

"Dead Letters", a brand new song from Swedish metallers Katatonia has been made available online for streaming. The song is taken from their upcoming album Dead End Kings, which will be released on August 27th (Europe) and August 28th (North America) via Peaceville Records. You can listen to "Dead Letters" on the lyric video below and download the song here.

The band posted the following: "We're proud to present to you the first glimpse into the world we've been living in for the last half a year. Instead of giving you just a snippet of audio, we decided to give you a 'lyric video' for a full song also showcasing some of the exquisite artwork to be found inside the album. We hope you will enjoy one of many diverse and different sides found on Dead End Kings by starting off with 'Dead Letters', one the most heavy and progressive songs to be found on the album and certainly a new live classic. Crank it a couple (or hundred) of times and then let us know what you think!"

[Also thanks to Dark Blood for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Katatonia
Posted: 20.06.2012 by Spring Thorns

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 29   Visited by: 246 users
20.06.2012 - 20:23
Swietowit11

Hell yes! This bodes well for the new album. I like that they're taking the progressive elements of the last two even further. My only hope is that there aren't as many slower songs as there were on the last album. That really made it drag a bit for me.
20.06.2012 - 20:34
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Awesome song! Really looking forward to this album.
20.06.2012 - 20:53
Slyfang

They keep getting proggier and proggier, but still refuse to let any song touch even 6 minutes.
20.06.2012 - 22:21
strade

Love the guitar tone and keyboards. It looks like they're progressing even further past the NitND style into some slightly 'happier' pasture, but if the results turn out this well, I won't be complaining. Bravo.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
20.06.2012 - 22:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sounded exactly like I expected it to. Unfortunately.
20.06.2012 - 23:53
MELANCOHOLIC

Sounded exactly like I expected it to. Fortunately.
The artwork is badass!!
21.06.2012 - 00:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 20.06.2012 at 22:24

Sounded exactly like I expected it to. Unfortunately.

100% agreed. So mind numbingly boring it's unbelievable. Now excuse while I revisit Viva Emptiness which is still by far their best in their new style.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2012 - 00:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2012 at 00:03

100% agreed. So mind numbingly boring it's unbelievable. Now excuse while I revisit Viva Emptiness which is still by far their best in their new style.

I'll probably do that same to be honest. With every new record they release the sweeter Viva Emptiness tastes.
21.06.2012 - 01:22
Opethian

Love It! Get to see these guys with Devin Townsend in September!
21.06.2012 - 01:31
MetalSpider

I love what I'm hearing! Can't wait to hear the whole album.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.06.2012 - 01:34
JohnDoe
Account deleted
It is quite predictable, but still, not bad at all.
21.06.2012 - 02:11
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Damn you Spring Thorns! You beat me to it!

The song's not bad, but they've done so much better. I hope the album has better songs.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
21.06.2012 - 03:07
Kuroboshi

It's better than their most boring album, Viva Emptiness, which is a good sign.
21.06.2012 - 05:31
Mr. Blonde

I'm liking it so far. I can't argue against it's predictability. But... keep in mind, that the first song used to promote a new album is often chosen for it's familiarity and for it's ability to allow even casual fans to instantly recognize the band.
21.06.2012 - 07:18
Opethian

Written by Kuroboshi on 21.06.2012 at 03:07

It's better than their most boring album, Viva Emptiness, which is a good sign.

Viva Emptiness is good, but the thing about Katatonia is that for me, its difficult to point out my favorite. Tbh, anything from 'Tonight's Decision and onward is totally worth checking out. I Love these guys and i can't wait for 'Dead End Kings'
21.06.2012 - 08:11
Sworn

Sounds better than I expected, hope the rest of the album has the same quality.
21.06.2012 - 10:40
Slayer666

The fuck is this? Where is the atmosphere, where is their trademark melancholy, that subtle feeling of sadness and grief?

Oh, that's right. Lost in the pseudo-prog wankery. Bleh, just bleh. Even Renkse sounds muffled and bored. I won't be surprised if this turns out to be even crappier than Viva Emptiness.
21.06.2012 - 12:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm actually liking the song somehow.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.06.2012 - 12:41
Kuroboshi

Written by Slayer666 on 21.06.2012 at 10:40

The fuck is this? Where is the atmosphere, where is their trademark melancholy, that subtle feeling of sadness and grief?

Oh, that's right. Lost in the pseudo-prog wankery. Bleh, just bleh. Even Renkse sounds muffled and bored. I won't be surprised if this turns out to be even crappier than Viva Emptiness.

Renkse have ALWAYS sounded bored. That's his trademark.
21.06.2012 - 13:04
IronAngel

Aww, this is garbage. The first Katatonia album I won't buy. I regret getting the previous two, too. They've lost their touch long ago.

Also:
Written by Swietowit11 on 20.06.2012 at 20:23

My only hope is that there aren't as many slower songs as there were on the last album. That really made it drag a bit for me.

lolwut? Nephilim was like the only great song on that album. Onward Into Battle was nice too, and I think it was on the slower side.
21.06.2012 - 13:19
Slyfang

SATAN DEMANDS MOAR CHILDISH WHINING
21.06.2012 - 17:04
Litvin

For me sounds a bit like "Great cold distance" and that is good.
21.06.2012 - 19:57
Kenos
Account deleted
I've heard the album and I have to say one or two things about it:
Those who didn't like NITND will dislike DEK even more.
Rock elements are drastically reduced, Jonas' vocals are more spontaneous but at the same time less catchy. It's all about the interpretation, I think. Refrains aren't immediate at all.
The strange thing is that this is the first Katatonia album which sounds strictly related to the previous one.

As for my opinion: I was hoping for a development of the sound of NITND and here it is. Sure it didn't leave me astonished like Night did but I adore it and I'm looking forward to hearing it with the right audio quality.

And this song is absolutely great.
22.06.2012 - 12:00
Slayer666

Written by Kuroboshi on 21.06.2012 at 12:41

Renkse have ALWAYS sounded bored. That's his trademark.

Not to me. He sounded exhausted, weary (which helped build the overall melancholic mood) but certainly not bored.

On this track, he sounds like he'd much rather be at home, flipping TV channels than perform on the album.
22.06.2012 - 12:04
Apatheria

Eh. I daresay Katatonia's lost it. I'm less impressed with this than I was with "Forsaker" from the last album at the time of that track's release.

They keep incorporating more modern, proggy riffs into their repetoire and just aren't finding a way to make it evoke their trademark melancholy atmospheres.

Bummer.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
22.06.2012 - 16:05
Cassian

Exactly what I have been expecting from an exceptional band like Katatonia.
His voice, the mood, the atmosphere, the harsh guitar, the melodic keyboard... they just blend perfectly.
Can't wait.
14.08.2012 - 11:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I won't be surprised if this turns out to be even crappier than Viva Emptiness.

How could you even compare them. Bleh, just bleh... But then again, it's you.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.08.2012 - 15:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This sounds like Tool if Tool sucked.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2012 - 18:13
3dd

C'mon wake up guys, DOESN'T LOWER YOUR STANDARDS!

This song fucking sucks, where's the feeling? This is the trademark of them. They are just doing they job to get paid, nothing more.

What the fuck, really. Not this again.

Doesn't get me wrong, I WAS a diehard fan of Katatonia, but I gave up of this band a long time ago.

Sad true, that's all I've been thinking to say. Except the mention of Viva Emptiness, it's a great album.

Hits total: 4219 | This month: 8