Metal Storm logo
Progressive rock vs. Progressive Metal

25.06.2012 - 07:33
Fade To Black
Personally I've found I prefer prog rock over prog metal. I was wondering on the preference of the community here and why they prefer that.

The reason I prefer prog rock is that, it tends to focus on the overall structure of the song. Where as prog metal can turn into instrumental bits casually strung together.
25.06.2012 - 11:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Non I dont perefe non vecause its way to boring for me, ac/dc knows fiew primitive cords and it do the trick , prog only complicates music and make it boring but there is some bands what I like hmm King Crismomn, Pyshotic Waltz
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.06.2012 - 16:29
mayoarm
Written by Bad English on 25.06.2012 at 11:58

Non I dont perefe non vecause its way to boring for me, ac/dc knows fiew primitive cords and it do the trick , prog only complicates music and make it boring but there is some bands what I like hmm King Crismomn, Pyshotic Waltz

You really do have bad english, I have no idea what you just said. And WTF? prog only complicates music and makes it boring? LOL, if you enjoy simple music go listen to pop.

The major difference between prog rock and prog metal is the sound. Obviously, prog metal is heavier. But there are some other conventional differences, such as prog rock focusing more on the "feel" and atmospheric emotions it stirs within its listeners, whereas prog metal focus more on technique and musical complexity.

"Where as prog metal can turn into just instrumental its strung together."
I have no idea what this sentence means...
29.06.2012 - 16:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Both is boring , boring and one mor etime boring no metter what prog trys complicate simple metal sound and make it boring , prog is boring
----

apos;'
[image]
29.06.2012 - 16:53
Aristarchos
I personally prefer metal bands who incorporate prog elements, like Iron Maiden and Metallica, rather than pure prog metal bands who usually take the progressivity too far, although I really like early Dream Theater (first two albums). Of prog bands Rush and Jethro Tull are the only ones I really like.
29.06.2012 - 22:21
Stabby
Account deleted
A good prog band has their own unique sound and identity and so my preferences come down to the individual band, mostly uninfluenced by the genre most of the time. There are plenty of prog rock bands that I like more than prog metal bands and vice versa.

It does depend on my mood, though. Prog metal is catchier in general, it's not the rule but it's the trend. So if I'm just going for catchy then my preference is prog-power bands like Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus, Angra and some others. But I'm not always looking for that.

Finally, sometimes classic prog rock just doesn't have the production quality going for it. Plenty of it is great and worth listening to but modern prog bands seem more appealing in general. Or classic bands who have released recent albums. That's not an advantage inherent in metal, but less classic prog bands are also metal. Some of them can get heavy but we no longer call bands like Rush and Tull metal. Listening to that classic guitar tone trying to be heavy just makes me wish that they had better gear back then.
30.06.2012 - 01:57
Fade To Black
Written by mayoarm on 29.06.2012 at 16:29

I have no idea what this sentence means...

Neither do I now that I've taken look at it
30.06.2012 - 13:41
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 22:21

Listening to that classic guitar tone trying to be heavy just makes me wish that they had better gear back then.

Oh yeah, me too! It's silly to judge based on sound quality, I know, but when I listen to heavy music, I don't need that light, airy tone.
----
7.0 means the album is good
30.06.2012 - 16:15
mayoarm
Written by Bad English on 29.06.2012 at 16:31

Both is boring , boring and one mor etime boring no metter what prog trys complicate simple metal sound and make it boring , prog is boring

dumb comment.
30.06.2012 - 16:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Music is boring you get tired of listenimng it , opera or classical music is better so ..... prof is werry boring
----

apos;'
[image]
30.06.2012 - 20:20
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 30.06.2012 at 13:41

Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 22:21

Listening to that classic guitar tone trying to be heavy just makes me wish that they had better gear back then.

Oh yeah, me too! It's silly to judge based on sound quality, I know, but when I listen to heavy music, I don't need that light, airy tone.

It's totally ridiculous, but there it is, and I can't help it. A good band is a good band no matter what gear they use, though. Take something like Rush's 2112; a powerful, genius song. Alex Lifeson kicks ass regardless of what gear he uses. But there is always that lingering feeling that it would sound just a bit better if he had a modern amp. I wish I could do away with that feeling, but a good guitarist like that helps as much as possible.

Good thing vocal gear is timeless. Geddy really completes that song and makes it heavy and kickass
01.07.2012 - 01:13
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 30.06.2012 at 20:20

I wish I could do away with that feeling, but a good guitarist like that helps as much as possible.

Good thing vocal gear is timeless. Geddy really completes that song and makes it heavy and kickass

Yeah, even though the feeling still lingers, it's pretty easy to get over it for a band as amazing as Rush and Geddy, yes, dear lord, the fact that there are people who dislike him boggles my mind,

*something relevant to the topic at hand*
----
01.07.2012 - 03:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I prefer Prog Rock, simply because I listen to it from time to time, unlike Prog Metal.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.07.2012 - 03:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Thing is if I compare these two styles I'm inevitably comparing classic 70's/80's prog rock bands vs. modern prog metal since I have no knowledge of modern prog rock. In that case, whilst the old guys probably created pieces that are musically superior and deserve the credits for spawning the whole genre, I really prefer the kind of production and vocals that are usually present in prog metal.
01.07.2012 - 04:25
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.06.2012 at 16:50

Music is boring you get tired of listenimng it , opera or classical music is better so ..... prof is werry boring

it's just your opinion, don't try to make it sound like a fact.
01.07.2012 - 04:28
JohnDoe
Account deleted

for both your statements on this thread, there is a perfect Romanian proverb which if translated, would sound like this: if you had shut up, you would have been wise (or word by word translation - a philosopher )
01.07.2012 - 05:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by mayoarm on 30.06.2012 at 16:15

dumb comment.

+1
01.07.2012 - 18:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 01.07.2012 at 04:28

for both your statements on this thread, there is a perfect Romanian proverb which if translated, would sound like this: if you had shut up, you would have been wise (or word by word translation - a philosopher )

well there's also the saying in English "whenever he opens his mouth only shit comes out"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2012 - 20:28
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2012 at 18:17

Written by Guest on 01.07.2012 at 04:28

well there's also the saying in English "whenever he opens his mouth only shit comes out"

I'm going to found a new one. "If you had held your head over the garden when you spoke the flowers would have appreciated the nourishment"
06.07.2012 - 08:21
helofloki
Written by Fade To Black on 25.06.2012 at 07:33

Personally I've found I prefer prog rock over prog metal. I was wondering on the preference of the community here and why they prefer that.

The reason I prefer prog rock is that, it tends to focus on the overall structure of the song. Where as prog metal can turn into instrumental bits casually strung together.

Then you haven't listened to enough prog rock. Where do you think the metal guys learned to string instrumental bits together?

Both can be great, both can be awful. It's funny how a style of music that prides itself on trying new things can become so stagnant. It's really just like any other genre, the best bands are either really creative or have a really tight groove. Some of these bands are rock, some of these bands are metal. I personally have a soft spot for prog, but I totally understand what people's issues with it are. I've come to the point where distinguishing prock rock and prog rock almost seems silly. They're all doing the same thing, but one band likes to chug a little.
06.07.2012 - 08:24
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by helofloki on 06.07.2012 at 08:21

They're all doing the same thing, but one band likes to chug a little.

*applause*
----
06.07.2012 - 11:17
sallyjay
I like em both personally. I suppose I'd lean more towards the prog rock camp rather than metal however. Prog rock just feels much better to listen to if that makes sense, not that prog metal doesn't feel good to listen to, but I just find that I feel distracted by the techniques and time signatures and all sorts of other things a lot when I listen to prog metal rather than enjoying the whole piece as I do with a prog rock song.
12.07.2012 - 07:53
GroundZero
I like both, maybe I'm not a great progressive rock/metal fan, but I like Dream Theater and their Liquid Tension stuff, Rush, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Ayreon, etc...

Progressive bands offer a good quality clean sound, personally I appreciate that. I also like those 20 min long songs with a huge variation of rhythms.

And I like other metal genres (almost all of them), indeed I also like jazz music. I prefer to not limit myself to listen to just one genre, that's really boring.
12.07.2012 - 18:30
JakeSnake
Hey all! My band When Prophecy Fails is releasing our first album not long from now and I just wanted to post our promo video here for everyone to check out. It would be very much appreciated. When the album is released I will be posting it up here for free download if anyone is interested!

Progressive rock/metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKk3T4kfrLk

www.facebook.com/whenprophecyfails
www.twitter.com/WPFband
www.youtube.com/whenprophecyfails
12.07.2012 - 20:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
To be honest, I don't know as much about progressive rock as I do about progressive metal, which is strange in a way. I only went back to check out on progressive rock after I was well into metal. I also find that I prefer prog metal in most cases but that prog rock can be very enjoyable with the right band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.07.2012 - 23:33
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 12.07.2012 at 20:58

To be honest, I don't know as much about progressive rock as I do about progressive metal, which is strange in a way. I only went back to check out on progressive rock after I was well into metal. I also find that I prefer prog metal in most cases but that prog rock can be very enjoyable with the right band.

"with the right band"? what do you mean?
There are only bands we like and bands we don't; to me it's as simple as that.
13.07.2012 - 13:18
mayoarm
It's true that sometimes the music repeats itself. But there is still enough great bands that differ from one another to make prog your exclusive music choice. I listen to jazz fusion, and other extreme types of metal like avante-garde, but I could listen to just prog. You have to appreciate the subtle differences.
13.07.2012 - 20:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Quote:
Quote:

rock after I was well into metal. I also find that I prefer prog metal in most cases but that prog rock can be very enjoyable with the right band.

"with the right band"? what do you mean?
There are only bands we like and bands we don't; to me it's as simple as that.

I just mean that it has to be the right band for me, you know. I don't like everything. So, I guess you understood me correclty. I wasn't judging the music the bands come up with, it's just that some bands don't click with me and usually prog rock is harder for me to get into.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.07.2012 - 10:47
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Though you can tell one is obviously different from the other, metal on the one hand and rock on the other, I just enjoy music which is labelled as progressive. So I guess I don't really like to make a definite statement of preference when it comes to either of these, as I very much like both. They both have a similar appeal, but at the same time they have something different from the other. Though that's really simplifying things if you're talking about two entire genres, as they are supposedly, by their very nature, inherently difficult to categorize. But it usually isn't hard to tell what is prog metal and what is prog rock.

Though the metal variant is derived from older prog rock I often enjoy those borderline cases which are not always easy to tell which side of the fence they stand in.
14.07.2012 - 13:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Oh, interesting question! Never thought about it really. It's a toughie. I think I'll choose the sissy's way and say that I love progressive music overall. Sure, there are more prog metal bands than prog rock bands I like. But when prog music is good, I really don't care wether it's rock or metal.
----