Metal Storm logo
Progressive rock vs. Progressive Metal

Original post

Posted by Fade To Black, 25.06.2012 - 07:33
Personally I've found I prefer prog rock over prog metal. I was wondering on the preference of the community here and why they prefer that.

The reason I prefer prog rock is that, it tends to focus on the overall structure of the song. Where as prog metal can turn into instrumental bits casually strung together.
14.07.2012 - 17:21
Sync
Account deleted
Who's better? Well, I like Prog Rock, but I also like Prog Metal. There's only one way to find out... FIIIIIIGHT!

On a more serious note, I can't really choose since each genre has absolutely amazing bands in them. I think I'll go listen to some Pure Reason Evolution in the mean time while I decide .
17.07.2012 - 16:39
Cüca Beludö
Account deleted
Progressive rock. I don't enjoy even a single prog. metal band. Progressive rock, in other words...

Kansas and Asia are great.
17.07.2012 - 22:41
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.07.2012 at 16:39

Progressive rock. I don't enjoy even a single prog. metal band. Progressive rock, in other words...

Kansas are great.
Asia is hardly prog.
17.07.2012 - 22:47
Cüca Beludö
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.07.2012 at 22:41

Kansas are great.
Asia is hardly prog.

How do you label them, then?
17.07.2012 - 22:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.07.2012 at 22:47

From what I've heard from them, I'd put them alongside other pop rock/AOR bands. But I haven't listened to more than a few songs, so for all I know they could be a prime example of prog rock.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.07.2012 - 22:55
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.07.2012 at 22:47

Written by Guest on 17.07.2012 at 22:41

Kansas are great.
Asia is hardly prog.

well, they can be classified as AOR, pop-rock, melodic hard rock; they often get labelled as "progressive rock" because of the reputation of the musicians in the original line up (that has reformed in 2008); the years that featured bassist/vocalist John Payne are more towards meoldic hard rock.
18.07.2012 - 19:14
Cüca Beludö
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.07.2012 at 22:55

well, they can be classified as AOR, pop-rock, melodic hard rock; they often get labelled as "progressive rock" because of the reputation of the musicians in the original line up (that has reformed in 2008); the years that featured bassist/vocalist John Payne are more towards meoldic hard rock.

Same category as Survivor, right?
08.09.2012 - 08:42
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I love both genres with all of my body, mind, and soul. Both are able to take you to different worlds and write wonderful music illustrating these exotic, fantasy lands and mental journeys they sing of (just as long as the prog metal artists don't focus too much on "wanking off" their instruments if you will). Both are able to do so, however prog metal is more likely to "show off" their skills a little more, which kind of loses my interest a bit more than prog rock. In short, I still love both, but maybe prog rock a little more.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.09.2012 - 06:07
Evil Chip

I prefer progressive metal although I love King Crimson (all their albums), Yes, Almendra, etc. I don't think it's because I prefer one genre a priori but because the bands I like the most like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Green Carnation and Porcupine Tree have took the progressive label further (and I´m not talking about the wankery masturbatory prog). I just can't identified fully with the 60's or 70's prog scene fully (although The Wall is one of my all time favourites), so that's why I aprecciate so much King Crimson for changing their style.
25.08.2013 - 21:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I somehow get this feeling that bands where Dan Swanö was a member plays much better and pretty enjoable prog metal then others, somehow he knows a way how write a propher songs no metter death, prog death or prog metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.08.2013 - 15:06
Lethrokai

My favourite is actually a fusion between the two.

You need look no further than Ayreon to see what I mean.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
19.10.2013 - 13:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Now since Corion is postimg new songs I decide give a try and listen older as well, because name progresive makes me ignore genre gebnerally, and Vintersorg and Borknogar are bands what I like so I gave a try and this band is so damn awesome, realy awsome , I like such kind prog
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.10.2013 - 20:18
mz

I like both genres but first of all, we should note that prog metal is a subgenre of prog rock. The major problem with contemporary prog metal is that some bands try too hard to be as complex and "intelligent" as possible and they end up being self obsessed and pretentious. Furthermore, I should say that I dislike dream theater and its clowns. I know that it is a matter of opinion but I think that DT has done more harm than good in prog metal.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.10.2013 - 19:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was under the impression that prog rock was its own style with specific elements belonging to it, whereas progressive metal is more of a blanket term for bands that go very slightly out of the box in relatively orthodox ways.
21.10.2013 - 21:47
Lethrokai

Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 19:58

I was under the impression that prog rock was its own style with specific elements belonging to it, whereas progressive metal is more of a blanket term for bands that go very slightly out of the box in relatively orthodox ways.

Isn't that alternative metal?
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
21.10.2013 - 21:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lethrokai on 21.10.2013 at 21:47

Isn't that alternative metal?

Ha, perhaps my description could also lend itself to alternative metal. Then again alternative metal is another genre that doesn't have a set sound and could take many forms.
22.10.2013 - 09:24
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 21:48

Then again alternative metal is another genre that doesn't have a set sound and could take many forms.

Which makes it as stupid and redundant as most genre names.

*ends his usual rant about genres*
22.10.2013 - 11:57
Uldreth

Written by Daniell on 22.10.2013 at 09:24

Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 21:48

Then again alternative metal is another genre that doesn't have a set sound and could take many forms.

Which makes it as stupid and redundant as most genre names.

*ends his usual rant about genres*

Uhm?

That is simply not true for most genres. It is mainly the badly defined "collective" terms that have this problem. Progressive, Avantgarde, Alternative, Nu etc. But out of those I personally would only use alternative and nu as actual genres, the former two only as prefixes. Most other genres within methulz are well defined and exist for a reason.
22.10.2013 - 12:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Uldreth on 22.10.2013 at 11:57

That is simply not true for most genres. It is mainly the badly defined "collective" terms that have this problem. Progressive, Avantgarde, Alternative, Nu etc. But out of those I personally would only use alternative and nu as actual genres, the former two only as prefixes. Most other genres within methulz are well defined and exist for a reason.

I don't want to get into this discussion yet again
22.10.2013 - 21:31
TungstenPhilly

I totally love both. I think choosing is silly.
----
Tungsten - Original Progressive Metal from Philadelphia, USA.

Check us out at tungstenphilly.com or at facebook.com/tungstenphilly or at tungstenphilly.bandcamp.com

For fans of Opeth, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Mastodon, Ayreon, etc.
22.10.2013 - 21:57
mz

Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 19:58

Apparently, prog rock could also be very diverse and it has several sub-genres according to progarchives.com and some other resources of progressive rock and avid fans of prog rock seem to agree with those classifications. Prog metal is intersection of prog rock and metal music. Depending on the sub-genre of prog rock chosen and sub-genre of metal being used, prog metal can result in different outcomes. In the other words, I think that diversity of prog metal is because it is combination of two genres which are diverse themselves.
----
06.11.2013 - 07:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by mz on 22.10.2013 at 21:57

I think that diversity of prog metal is because it is combination of two genres which are diverse themselves.

However still prog rock is more diverse and open to more genres according to progarchives if you see all the sub genres there and metal isn't all that open to sevveral niche genres that prog rock incorporates. I am not saying this with 100% proof or lots of experience but that maybe because prog rock is a loosely thrown around and umbrella term in the rock genre and also with the number of bands experimenting in the PR genre, I believe that is the case there.
06.11.2013 - 13:06
mz

Written by 3rdWorld on 06.11.2013 at 07:25

Written by mz on 22.10.2013 at 21:57

I think that diversity of prog metal is because it is combination of two genres which are diverse themselves.

However still prog rock is more diverse and open to more genres according to progarchives if you see all the sub genres there and metal isn't all that open to sevveral niche genres that prog rock incorporates. I am not saying this with 100% proof or lots of experience but that maybe because prog rock is a loosely thrown around and umbrella term in the rock genre and also with the number of bands experimenting in the PR genre, I believe that is the case there.

prog rock is more diverse than prog metal, no doubt about that. But don't you think that progressive metal could be considered a subgenre of prog rock?
My previous post meant that progressive metal takes some influences from progressive rock and some from metal music. And since these genres are diverse themselves, for instance, prog rock has many subgenres itself beside progressive metal, the final result would be diverse.
Regarding progarchives.com, note that it considers genres like post rock, avantgarde rock and even post metal as a subgenre of progressive rock, and while I like how open minded that site is, I don't really think that all of genres mentioned in their data base are really a part of progressive rock movement. The fact that bands like Blut Aus Nord and Khanate have profile there truly shows this fact.
----
06.11.2013 - 22:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Well, fuck genre discussions. According to Wikipedia, Heavy metal is still a sub-genre of Rock. That would mean every genre is a sub-genre of a another genre which could be a bracket term and a parent genre until it is everything gets very clearly distinguishable and obvious. I don't want that, kthxbai.
08.11.2013 - 20:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by 3rdWorld on 06.11.2013 at 22:22

Well, fuck genre discussions. According to Wikipedia, Heavy metal is still a sub-genre of Rock. That would mean every genre is a sub-genre of a another genre which could be a bracket term and a parent genre until it is everything gets very clearly distinguishable and obvious. I don't want that, kthxbai.

There's nothing wrong with discussing genres, no matter what you or The Lord Wikipedia says. This website is after all called Metal Storm. Or maybe we should include all music since genres don't matter? And no, I won't accept the answer "metal is metal". It's not. There's a big difference between several metal genres.
----
08.11.2013 - 21:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Warman on 08.11.2013 at 20:37

Written by 3rdWorld on 06.11.2013 at 22:22

There's nothing wrong with discussing genres, no matter what you or The Lord Wikipedia says. This website is after all called Metal Storm. Or maybe we should include all music since genres don't matter? And no, I won't accept the answer "metal is metal". It's not. There's a big difference between several metal genres.

I dont get it, did I ever ask anyone to forgo genre discussions? I just said Heavy metal and Rock and totally distinct genres and still calling Heavy metal a subgenre of rock would be disservice to the genre. I don't get the necessity for the rest of your quote either.
08.11.2013 - 22:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by 3rdWorld on 08.11.2013 at 21:52

I dont get it, did I ever ask anyone to forgo genre discussions? I just said Heavy metal and Rock and totally distinct genres and still calling Heavy metal a subgenre of rock would be disservice to the genre. I don't get the necessity for the rest of your quote either.

Well you said "fuck genre discussions" so I just assumed you were one of those who think we shouldn't categorize music at all.
----
08.11.2013 - 22:42
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Warman on 08.11.2013 at 22:25

Well you said "fuck genre discussions" so I just assumed you were one of those who think we shouldn't categorize music at all.

We damn need it. How else will we damn get to stuff or music that we instantly love because of their very basic sonic structure and playing style. We also need the discussions but some are really pointless like how in the fuck could one consider Metal a subgenre of Rock. I dont need to discuss that and it is WRONG.

As far as this discussions goes, I really think prog rock is more welcoming and experimental than Prog metal. No more. Not that I know a gazillion prog rock bands, don't ask me. But then how can a subgenre be more welcoming than a parent genre? Atleast if we consider a Extreme prog metal a subgenre of prog metal, then it might be, I think. But some of 70's prog gems are indeed very good and have a classic feel that you won't get anywhere in prog metal. So listen to both, I'd say.
08.11.2013 - 23:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by 3rdWorld on 08.11.2013 at 22:42

We damn need it. How else will we damn get to stuff or music that we instantly love because of their very basic sonic structure and playing style. We also need the discussions but some are really pointless like how in the fuck could one consider Metal a subgenre of Rock. I dont need to discuss that and it is WRONG.

As far as this discussions goes, I really think prog rock is more welcoming and experimental than Prog metal. No more. Not that I know a gazillion prog rock bands, don't ask me. But then how can a subgenre be more welcoming than a parent genre? Atleast if we consider a Extreme prog metal a subgenre of prog metal, then it might be, I think. But some of 70's prog gems are indeed very good and have a classic feel that you won't get anywhere in prog metal. So listen to both, I'd say.

I understand. I apparently misunderstood you in the first place.
----
09.11.2013 - 09:06
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Tricky, I say.

Progressive metal is indeed drawing influence from progressive rock, with the simplest example being the complexity. But, as in many other genres, progressive metal has gone way too far to be considered progressive rock anymore. (and you don't need to cite sources from encyclopedias or communities; just think about what you're listening to.) I would prefer progressive rock although I wouldn't deny that I like progressive metal as well.

Written by 3rdWorld on 08.11.2013 at 22:42

But then how can a subgenre be more welcoming than a parent genre?

Could you be more elaborate about "being more welcoming" in general?