02. Prophecy Of The Lazer Witch
03. Beastblade
04. Deathwaltz
05. Truth Orb And The Kill Pool
06. You Can't Run Away
07. Arena War Of The Immortal Masters
08. Dangertits
09. On My Way

Brendon Small - the guy behind Dethklok. Not exactly the most popular band around here, but whether you like his music or not, we have to acknowledge he does things differently and that's a good thing as it is this sort of thing that gets people talking about him. As some would say, bad publicity is still good publicity.

Perhaps not quite as head turning without seasons of cartoon series to back it up, Brendon Small's Galaktikon is not a melodic death album, but leans towards heavy metal when looking at the big picture and subsequently, a more accessible release for those who can't stand a single bit of harsh vocals. Notice that I said "when looking at the big picture", as it's more than just heavy metal. Some of those Dethklok riffs do creep up in trace doses, and it has a slight alternative vibe to it, differentiating it from other releases of a genre that's largely remained unchanged for decades.

Sounds pretty good on paper, right? However, I feel there's something lacking. The songs feel rather? hollow despite the refreshing nature of it. Not like it's soulless, because I can hear that Mr. Small is clearly having a lot of fun during the recording, and his passion about his music is apparent. Rather, the hollow feeling stems from perhaps the production and the fun nature of the project. Like Dethklok, the sci-fi cartoon coating or the flamboyant melodies are making it hard for me to take the music seriously. Listening to the track "Dangertits" for example, I get images of happy aliens jumping up and down on some bouncy castle. That being said, it's all down to personal preferences because those who enjoy Mr. Small's other musical projects and perhaps video games may find listening to this album a much more rewarding experience.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 8
Production: 5

Written on 25.06.2012 by Ag Fox loves listening to music but is far from being a prolific writer. This corner just shows how territorial he is.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 276 users
25.06.2012 - 19:50
Zealot644

I dont think I'll ever understand the hate for this album. I'd give it at least a 7.5 It isn't an album meant to blow anybody away, but it's not shit either.

The songs are humorous and stupid on purpose, and that's part of enjoying it - the exact thing that keeps it from feeling hollow. All of these low reviews for the album by people who don't seem to understand the point of it are probably causing others to simply pass over it and miss out on some refreshing and not so serious metal.
25.06.2012 - 20:04
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Zealot644 on 25.06.2012 at 19:50

I dont think I'll ever understand the hate for this album. I'd give it at least a 7.5 It isn't an album meant to blow anybody away, but it's not shit either.

The songs are humorous and stupid on purpose, and that's part of enjoying it - the exact thing that keeps it from feeling hollow. All of these low reviews for the album by people who don't seem to understand the point of it are probably causing others to simply pass over it and miss out on some refreshing and not so serious metal.
I did mention it's down to personal preferences, right?
----
loves 小巫
25.06.2012 - 20:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

6.5 doesn't mean it's shit.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.06.2012 - 00:55
machiavelli
Account deleted
I gave it an 8. The strongest part is the first 4 tracks.
26.06.2012 - 05:42
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I get the other scores but the one I don't get is the low production score. Listened to it and the production sounds good to me. It sure doesn't sound like it was not well mixed or recorded.
26.06.2012 - 06:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.06.2012 at 20:07

6.5 doesn't mean it's shit.

Means above average.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.06.2012 - 08:49
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Guest on 26.06.2012 at 05:42

I get the other scores but the one I don't get is the low production score. Listened to it and the production sounds good to me. It sure doesn't sound like it was not well mixed or recorded.
I think the production is not good because it sounded a bit thin to me. The instruments are clear and well recorded, but that doesn't mean I feel it has enhanced the listening experience. Some albums benefit from a squeaky clean production, while some albums with the same production applied to it feels sterile; Some albums sound great when it's all fuzzy and raw, but some just sounds trying too hard when going for the raw sound. In this case, I just think the production could have been heavier or something, hence the "not good". But it's not "bad" either.
----
loves 小巫
26.06.2012 - 09:29
AberrantBeing

The poor guy must be running out of music ideas...
26.06.2012 - 14:36
Zap
Album cover is the best part of the album.
26.06.2012 - 16:08
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by AberrantBeing on 26.06.2012 at 09:29

The poor guy must be running out of music ideas...
On the contrary, I think he has quite a lot of ideas and they are not too bad. The general direction is towards something that's more original than 90% of the other heavy metal bands and that's good, but the execution could be done better in order to sound more convincing. I enjoy some fun albums too, so I hope he finds a way to find a good balance in the next release.
----
loves 小巫
30.06.2012 - 14:33
axelx666

Dethklok. Not exactly the most popular band around here

really? i mean dethklok is amazing, i freaking love the cartoon and have all the seasons on DVD!
and their music is amazing. you must have them confused with limp bizkit,,,

but you are right though THIS ISN'T DETHKLOK listen to the songs this is brandon small,singing NOT NATHAN EXPLOSION. (he does the voice of nathan but this is his normal voice)

my opinion:

triton: 6/10
prophecy of the lazer witch: 4/10

beastblade: 9/10

dethwaltz: 2/10 (it's all mixed and ugh)

truth orb and the kill pool: 3/10 (sounds better then dethwaltz but still sounds all mixed up and ugly)

you can't run away: 7/10 (it's got an epic rift at the beginning but then...)

arena war of the immmortal masters: 1/10 (it sounds like something from home movies..if you've watched metalapocalypse then you've heard toki's underwater friends right? this has the same atmosphere as that the bubbly atmosphere..)

dangertits: 10/10 (best album on the track it's instrumental and it sounds heavy)

on my way: 8/10 (it's got an epic riff then it ascends into something like old-school metal)

final: 5/10
at first i thought the reviewer was being biased but he really hit the nail on this album. it's got a good basis but like the reviewer said it's only good on paper..THIS IS NOT DETHKLOK let me remind you. so it's not gonna have that epic dark sound. it's not death metal it's standard factory coated metal. now i don't like it but feel free to give it a try,
they have it on youtube just look up the name of the song.

if you like old-school nitro-era judas priest then you will probably like this album. (i do but i like a heavier sound)
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
07.07.2012 - 17:41
Coolingsrock

Written by axelx666 on 30.06.2012 at 14:33

Dethklok. Not exactly the most popular band around here

dangertits: 10/10 (best album on the track it's instrumental and it sounds heavy)

This is the best ALBUM on the Track lol no but really its the best song.

Hits total: 7700 | This month: 6