Metal Storm logo
Screamo/Emo/Post-Hardcore

28.06.2012 - 00:33
Uldreth
I assume I am not the only one on MS who is into these closely related, often indistinguishable styles of music and I can't see any topic dedicated to these yet so here we go...

Lately I've been listening to tons of screamo but overall I still don't know as many bands that I'd like to know so I appreciate any recommendations.

Some bands I am into:

Saetia

Notres Langues Nous Trompent
An Open Letter

City of Caterpillar

A Little Change Could Go A Long Way
Minute Hour Day Week Month Year (The Faiths In My Chest)

Pianos Become The Teeth

Cripples Can't Shiver
I'll Be Damned

La Dispute (thanks Troy)

Edward Benz, 27 Times
King Park
The Last Lost Continent

Barrow

The Undertow
Where I Was

Circle Takes The Square and Envy are on my list to check out more in-depth, both are really good from what I heard from them so far.

Let this be the thread to list and "disquss" favourite bands, ask for recommendations, post new releases, etc.
28.06.2012 - 10:05
IronAngel
Awesome. I've been wanting to make this topic for a year now, but never got around to it (probably because my ambient etc. topic was just me posting, too).

My favorite screamo album this year is Loma Prieta's IV. It's the popular choice, but deservedly so. (I haven't heard Suis la lune yet, though - they're supposed to be very good.)

I'll post more later.
29.06.2012 - 00:25
Uldreth
Nice track, sounds like they are going for the grindcore-ish approach as opposed to the post-rock-ish approach and I definitely like it.
Suis La Lune rings a bell but I can't place it, probably came across it on Sputnik or something, gonna add it to my list to check.

Gonna post more tomorrow myself but I am zombie tired atm, I do have a feeling though this isn't gonna be an overly popular thread though
29.06.2012 - 00:57
IronAngel
Written by Uldreth on 29.06.2012 at 00:25

Nice track, sounds like they are going for the grindcore-ish approach as opposed to the post-rock-ish approach and I definitely like it.

Yeah, I was surprised by how aggressive and robust the album sounds. It's a welcome change from the brittle tremolo picking of many bands.

For another really violent album (this is from last year), check out Ampere:

More melodic and in the emo direction, Touche Amore:

And this is a discovery I made on MS, though I can't right now remember who recommended it. Maths, who released an incredible EP called Ascent last year. This is actually one of my favorite screamo songs in a long time:
29.06.2012 - 06:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I'll just name-drop some favorites for you to check out (assuming you don't know them, although for the most part they're not going to be the extremely underground ones because I don't spend as much time digging for this stuff as I do with metal).

Celeste
Circle Takes the Square
Drive Like Jehu
Fugazi
Future of the Left
La Quiete
Mclusky
Mewithoutyou
Shellac
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.06.2012 - 12:26
Uldreth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.06.2012 at 06:16

I'll just name-drop some favorites for you to check out (assuming you don't know them, although for the most part they're not going to be the extremely underground ones because I don't spend as much time digging for this stuff as I do with metal).

Celeste
Circle Takes the Square
Drive Like Jehu
Fugazi
Future of the Left
La Quiete
Mclusky
Mewithoutyou
Shellac

I know CTTS, Fugazi and Mewithoutyou by name but doesn't go farther than that. Rest was totally unknown, so thanks.

Gonna take me ages to thoroughly check out recs from both of you, this shit is generally so underground I can't even find torrents to (YARRRRRR) pirate them.
I did get my hands on that lone CTTS album and it's insane. Crazy vocals and atmospheres, In The Nervous Light of Sunday/Interview At The Ruins/Non-Objective Portrait of Karma pwns.

Btw, I don't know much about this band aside from this one song:

But this one's really good. Is this band worth looking into?
30.06.2012 - 14:58
axelx666
Oh great now i have to make up a huge list of the emo/screamo/post-hardcore bands i like! why not?

orchid
hawthorne heights
saosin
pierce the veil
sleeping with sirens
the devil wears prada
a day to remember
our last night
Panic at the disco!
fall out boy (don't judge me)
new found glory
all american rejects
my chemical romance
alexisonfire
all time low
alesana
anberlin
brand new
coheed and cambria
death cab for cutie
dashboard confessional
the used ( <3)
forever the sickest kids
i am ghost
jimmy eat world
lostprophets
mayday parade
30 seconds to mars
boys like girls
paramore (haley williams )
rites of spring (pionners of emo)
the red jumpsuit apparatus
escape the fate
fugazi
funeral for a friend
senses fail
silverstein
black veil brides
drop,dead,gorgeous
kill switch engage
circa survive
in fear and faith
(early) brokeNCYDE (their ep is epic,back when they really were broken inside)
of mice & men
vampires everywhere
thursday
motionless in white
we came as romans
bring me the horizon
attack attack!
get up kids
the academy is
emarosa
breathe carolina
(i have some other ones but i can't remember at the moment well that's all you get for free )
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
30.06.2012 - 16:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Oh... God...

Well, i guess everyone is entitled to their own taste... but... yeah...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.06.2012 - 17:24
axelx666
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.06.2012 at 16:40

Oh... God...

Well, i guess everyone is entitled to their own taste... but... yeah...

i like anything with screaming..in fact you could hand me a CD of a person screaming with a few chords here and there and some taps and i'd listen to it.
you should see my list of metal bands i have more on there. hahaha
----
"END"
30.06.2012 - 21:25
Uldreth
Holy shit, what happened to my thread...

While there are some post-hc bands there (Orchid or Alexisonfire for example) most of them are more of pop metalcore or pop punk with minor metalcore and post-hc elements. I refuse to believe that adding superclean vocals evoking the image of a thousand nyan cats flying overhead and disjointed electronica sections to generic metalcore makes something post-hardcore...
30.06.2012 - 22:01
axelx666
Written by Uldreth on 30.06.2012 at 21:25

Holy shit, what happened to my thread...

While there are some post-hc bands there (Orchid or Alexisonfire for example) most of them are more of pop metalcore or pop punk with minor metalcore and post-hc elements. I refuse to believe that adding superclean vocals evoking the image of a thousand nyan cats flying overhead and disjointed electronica sections to generic metalcore makes something post-hardcore...

lol if it has screaming it's my music.
and as for that pop you said emo. emo is emotional music. (a.k.a love,breakups,etc)
and all pop is is "popular" and thousands of nyan cats flying is popular evidently. . .
and im just going by what they listed the band as. and according to wikipedia that's what it is.
pick out the ones you want and leave the others that's what i say!
emo/PHC/Screamo has changed since the get-up kids y'know.
the term is tossed around loosly to the sound of an kid with a black fringe with a shirt from Hot topic cutting himself to Mcr. (which isn't correct)
----
"END"
01.07.2012 - 00:46
Paz
elite
I'm not too much in the genre, but latest Loma Prieta smashed me like no other album this year (especially song "Trilogy 6 - Forgetting").
01.07.2012 - 20:53
IronAngel
Despite the very loose parametres of Axel's list, there are some names worth checking out. Thursday are pretty light and leaning towards alt-rock, but their songwriting is ridicilously good. I loved their 2011 album No Devolucion, one of my most listened (if not my final favorites) of the year. Rites of Spring is another good pick of authentic emo. In that vein, I'd check out Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive and Hum. They're way softer than the other stuff I recommended, but quite nice. Especially Hum, I love them.

Maybe they're too obvious a pick, but nobody's mentioned At The Drive-In yet. The band whose central figures would go on to start The Mars Volta. I could talk at length about why they're so good, but I'll just settle for a sample:
02.07.2012 - 02:12
axelx666
Written by IronAngel on 01.07.2012 at 20:53

Despite the very loose parametres of Axel's list, there are some names worth checking out. Thursday are pretty light and leaning towards alt-rock, but their songwriting is ridicilously good. I loved their 2011 album No Devolucion, one of my most listened (if not my final favorites) of the year. Rites of Spring is another good pick of authentic emo. In that vein, I'd check out Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive and Hum. They're way softer than the other stuff I recommended, but quite nice. Especially Hum, I love them.

Maybe they're too obvious a pick, but nobody's mentioned At The Drive-In yet. The band whose central figures would go on to start The Mars Volta. I could talk at length about why they're so good, but I'll just settle for a sample:

i thought i did..i musta forgot!

(i should have mentioned their other band sparta too..).

while im here i'll leave this here:

i have all the hellfest dvd's if you are a post-hardcore/punk fan you really should check out the dvd!
----
"END"
02.07.2012 - 21:21
Big-Al
Alright, I don't know too much about these genres but i do know i have learnt not to like their fans, ie: "burn'em with fire ...no exceptions".

Thanks for the youtube links, i checked most of them and; i further understand and agree with the hatred most metalheads... and anyone else who mentions violence or intolerance towards these styles & their fans.

I try to have what others refer to as an open mind but the likes of "Screamo/Emo/Post-Hardcore" should remain buried far beyond underground. really not something to be proud of.

I guess this post won't go down too well in this thread, but this is supposed to be a metal site... not to be confused with emo/scremo.. n'stuff.
----

I drink moosepiss
03.07.2012 - 00:31
IronAngel
Written by Big-Al on 02.07.2012 at 21:21

I try to have what others refer to as an open mind but the likes of "Screamo/Emo/Post-Hardcore" should remain buried far beyond underground. really not something to be proud of.

I guess they're a little heavy and abrasive for fans of melodic metal and glam rock. I take it you don't like sludge, grindcore, math rock or post-rock, let alone good old hardcore punk, either?
03.07.2012 - 00:54
Uldreth
I am baffled by that post tbh. I would expect it from someone who thinks emo is some whiny form of altrock with large mainstream appeal and followed by teenagers with black dyed hair and eyeliners, cutting themselves, and that screamo is synonymous with the nowadays so trendy synthcore, but he claims he listened to our links which would dispell such myths.

Also unless most metalheads hate post-rock, grindcore and old school hc, I doubt most of them would hate this. Unless we are equating metalheads with the wet-from-Manowar WIMPS AND POSERS LEAVE THE HALL type rabid frothing narrow-minded maniacs, then probably yes.
Furthermore, this might be a metal website but it has an offtopic section, parts of which are dedicated to non-metal music which is where I made this thread.
03.07.2012 - 07:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I guess this post won't go down too well in this thread, but this is supposed to be a metal site... not to be confused with emo/scremo.. n'stuff.

Feel free to go about doing whatever it is that's so important for you to be doing and leave the rest of us poseur emo fags to our MTV scene music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.07.2012 - 16:07
Big-Al
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2012 at 07:07

Feel free to go about doing whatever it is that's so important for you to be doing and leave the rest of us poseur emo fags to our MTV scene music.

ok.
----

I drink moosepiss
04.07.2012 - 16:10
Big-Al
Written by IronAngel on 03.07.2012 at 00:31

I guess they're a little heavy and abrasive for fans of melodic metal and glam rock. I take it you don't like sludge, grindcore, math rock or post-rock, let alone good old hardcore punk, either?

well:
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/Big-Al/profile
----

I drink moosepiss
06.07.2012 - 15:42
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Not unknown by any stretch of the imagination, but heres some of my favourites.

11.07.2012 - 13:46
Uldreth

Funnily enough, I discovered some of this through 9gag.
11.07.2012 - 15:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Uldreth on 11.07.2012 at 13:46
Funnily enough, I discovered some of this through 9gag.

Nothing about 9gag is funny.
----
11.07.2012 - 15:21
Uldreth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.07.2012 at 15:10

Nothing about 9gag is funny.

This fact is.
24.08.2012 - 01:57
Uldreth

Not sure if I should post this here as most sources state this as "just" hardcore but the atmospherics used in this makes me want to lump it into post-hardcore, but regardless of classification it's a great album.
24.08.2012 - 02:19
IronAngel
The new Beau Navire is the shit. I mean, seriously. It's better than that Loma Prieta I recommended earlier. They know their stuff. Kinda reminds me of good old Fingerprint.

30.08.2012 - 03:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by IronAngel on 24.08.2012 at 02:19

The new Beau Navire is the shit.

What a fucking mess! I was laughing out loud while listening to this! Man, it's been a while...
----
rekt
30.08.2012 - 17:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm with Tea[m]ster, that was just fucking awful
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2012 - 21:08
IronAngel
You people have no taste! It's strange coming from tea[m] though, that track has all the best qualities of many post-rock and atmosludge bands, too. Only the first few seconds are a "mess" but no more so than extreme or avant-garde metal piece. There's a really good riff there and the vocals and production are top notch.
10.09.2012 - 09:31
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by IronAngel on 24.08.2012 at 02:19

The new Beau Navire is the shit. I mean, seriously. It's better than that Loma Prieta I recommended earlier. They know their stuff. Kinda reminds me of good old Fingerprint.

I didn't think it was as bad as the rest of them are saying, but I personally didn't like it all that much. That may not be due to the quality of the song itself, but rather the fact that I just don't like that style anyway.
----