Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #5 - Hear music from Miroist, Fever Sea, Kalodin, Black Oak Decline, Fhoi Myore, and more!

Written by: Susan, Milena, BloodTears, Troy Killjoy
Published: 10.07.2012

Clandestine Cuts Volume 2, Issue #5
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Each month we scour the globe for the best demos and EPs from new and unsigned band who are keeping metal alive from the underground on up. Feeling disappointed with the current state of metal? Check out the music below and let these bands brighten your day. Registered users: vote in the poll below for which band should be carrying the torch!

January 31, 2013: VOTING IS NOW CLOSED! Thank you for your votes; find the winners in the Metal Storm Awards 2012 category Clandestine Cut Of The Year and chose your favorite.

Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Contact Susan via PM or email Susan @ MetalStorm . net to find out.

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 1 #15
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #1
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #2
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #3
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #4

Miroist - The Pledge
Listen at Bandcamp

The first sentence in the "about" tab of the official Miroist Facebook page goes: "Avoiding djent 'puns' in band names since 2011." Well I love me some bands with a good sense of humor. Except, this isn't a full band - The Pledge EP is the work of one person, talented Brit James Cook (who recently appeared as a guitarist and co-author on the second Unwritten Pages album). This is instrumental djent with the usual electronics thrown in, and quite distinct ambiance and flavor - think something along the lines of Uneven Structure and Vildhjarta. With a solid pace and very professional-sounding recording, The Pledge should be worthy of your attention, whether you're passionate about the djent scene or just a random passerby like yours truly.

by Milena

Black Oak Decline - Black Oak Decline
Listen at Bandcamp

Here is some dirty sludge that at times channels the mesmerizing aspects of post metal. Excellent combination. With nicely varied tempos and appropriately raw vocals that pop up only when needed, Black Oak Decline is a wall of sound that will impress any fan of the heavier side of post, sludge, or stoner metal. Yet it's full of unique touches here and there that won't leave you thinking you've encountered just another Isis clone. Nope, Black Oak Decline's debut EP stands beautifully alone on the edge of the void.

by Susan

Kalodin - Sarv
Listen on facebook

Symphonic black metal from Nepal. Check it out. Check out the epic guitar work, the groove, and the shroud of mood that only a subtle, well-mixed keyboard can provide to such impressive and dark music. Slight south Asian classical musical influences are present, and the closing track "Trishula" even briefly features a sitar meandering in and out. Also, two session vocalists are backing up our lead vocalist so just imagine the aural attack that awaits you there. What's not to love? Seriously, experience this.

by Susan

Wings Denied - Awake
Listen at Bandcamp

Awake. Could have been a reference to a certain album released back in 1994 but even though the band describes the core of their music as being "prog", that is not the most obvious choice to take from their music. Their musical ideas certainly have roots in many sources. However, the djent flavours are the most prominent, but they put a good spin on it. The galloping flowing riffs, a good balance between aggressive and melodious and the catchiness factor are its greatest strengths. This EP is very organic sounding and apart from some lyrical clichés, this is a good start for this band. Certainly if they can live up in the future to the level of the song "Vultures", we might have a good surprise on our hands.

by BloodTears

Fever Sea - The Deluge
Listen at Bandcamp

This English quintet may just have what it takes to be crowned the champion of the 2012 Clandestine Cuts with their debut EP, brilliantly mixing the melodies of black metal with the atmosphere of post-metal, traversing quite an expansive gap between the two seamlessly while incorporating progressive song structures that bridge quite an array of emotions together. The over-the-top dynamic musicianship is complemented by a combination of alt-rock-styled clean vocals and raspy growls. This is 20 minutes of fascinating metal with an extreme edge uniting angelic melodies and a dreamy atmosphere, as enchanting or burdensome as you make it.

by Troy Killjoy

Ivy Garden of the Desert - Blood Is Love
Listen on myspace

Ivy Garden Of The Desert first appeared in Clandestine Cuts Vol. 1 Issue 14 with their stunning EP Docile. The Italian stoner rockers are back with this second part of a trilogy; Blood Is Love may be more refined than their debut and capitalizes on the band's excellent riffing and compelling song structures. While Docile was rich with epic build-ups and some drastic ups and downs, Blood Is Love stays a bit more even and shows the band letting more metal play into the mood of the music. This added crunch, and some slightly more varied vocal moods, equals another quite memorable trip.

by Susan

Fhoi Myore - The Northern Cold
Listen at Bandcamp

Keeping with the typical quality of a French black metal outfit, Fhoi Myore's debut EP is an excellent atmospheric black metal release, one that retains the genre's traditional spite and aggression without sacrificing melody. The bitter-tuned guitars are somewhat frolicsome, and the drums are varied well beyond straightforward blastbeat insanity, making for an engaging listen. Catchy hooks help draw the listener in further, which makes the lengthier tracks seem to pass without effort - a credit to the accomplished songwriting. The Northern Cold will surely appeal to fans of just about any atmospheric black metal project, from Paysage d'Hiver to Wolves In The Throne Room.

by Troy Killjoy

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 130 users
10.07.2012 - 14:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I feel insanely useless and lazy now.

I'll check them out soon and post my opinion about them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.07.2012 - 18:56
Susan
Smeghead
It's quite a noisy issue, so when you're over your laziness be prepared for an aural assault

As usual, some more great cover art. What is it with these new bands finding such excellent artists? I like. Especially Miroist's creepy octopus.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.07.2012 - 19:57
Druss

From what I've heard (had trouble finding Kalodin and Ivy Gardens' respective EPs on their pages, I'm a bit of a moron, you see), Black Oak Decline might just edge it for me so far, loved the mix of slightly buried vocals and overriding riffs, but Fever Sea's was indeed dynamic as described, and I found both Wings Denied and Fhoi Myores' EPs surprisingly good.

On the subject of cover art, that Fever Sea cover art is sweet as hell, and despite its borderline symmetrical look, Wings Denied's is also quite nice.

Another great edition btw, guys, good work and thanks for all the new material to listen to
10.07.2012 - 20:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm really curious about most of them tbh.

Druss: thanks for the detailed opinion, that was awesome
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.07.2012 - 21:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Who will win Troy or Susan I giva try all bands and those 2 writers what tahy pic up i need listen more and in end Troy wins because both his chosse I like more how Susans
In end wins ''Fever Sea'' album atrt work almost foole dme because I thought I will like more frenchies but no brits was better
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.07.2012 - 22:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
At the end of the day all that matters is the bands winning with free exposure.

We win as writers because we get to listen to good music, too. I'd say it's a fair trade.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.07.2012 - 22:31
JD
Account deleted
Think I enjoyed Black Oak Decline, and Fever Sea the most from this issue.

Voted for BOD.
10.07.2012 - 22:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yay new article!

will check out soon!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
11.07.2012 - 01:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Hard issue. All great imo but I ended up voting for Miroist... I just thought their instrumental djent was very nice. Special mention goes to Black Oak Decline, Fever Sea and Fhoi Myore... Which were very close to get a vote as well.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2012 - 02:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Looks mighty good, looking forward to checking 'em out when i get some time.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.07.2012 - 05:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ultimately I went with Fever Sea, even though I was big on trying to promote Fhoi Myore.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.07.2012 - 06:43
Edmund Fogg

Akready owned Fever Sea and Miroist, but i'll give a fair chance to all. They seem intriguing.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
11.07.2012 - 07:35
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2012 at 22:08

At the end of the day all that matters is the bands winning with free exposure.

We win as writers because we get to listen to good music, too. I'd say it's a fair trade.

Truer words were never spoken
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.07.2012 - 15:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Holyshit! I am actually seeing "Kalodin" introducing to MS fans. As a pretty huge fan of Nepal Metal scene, this band stands out the most. I've seen them live couple of times and honestly, they are just too good.

Kudos to Susan
12.07.2012 - 05:51
Edmund Fogg

Ivy still managed to grab my attention with this edition and might jut top Fever Sea and Fhoi Myore. Yes, once again Ivy takes the win for me.

Oh and it's Desert not Dessert. Suprised nobody caught that one.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
14.07.2012 - 18:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Black Oak Decline it is.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.07.2012 - 21:27
A.Ghosheh

Ivy Garden's cover artwork made me check them first, I think it take alot of balls to use such cover.

Great issue, loved most of the bands but I have to choose between Miroist and Black Oak Decline
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
15.07.2012 - 22:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by A.Ghosheh on 15.07.2012 at 21:27
Ivy Garden's cover artwork made me check them first, I think it take alot of balls to use such cover.

I don't see anything particularly daring about it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.07.2012 - 22:28
A.Ghosheh

Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.07.2012 at 22:07

I don't see anything particularly daring about it.

It's just a simple red line, bands tend to use fancy artworks and this is nothing near fancy. I found it interesting.
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
15.07.2012 - 22:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by A.Ghosheh on 15.07.2012 at 22:28
It's just a simple red line, bands tend to use fancy artworks and this is nothing near fancy. I found it interesting.

Oh I see, I misinterpreted your comment as when you thought "it takes balls" I translated it to "Because that album is so daring!" isntead of "Because it's too simple".
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.07.2012 - 06:42
Crucifux
Account deleted
Miroist and Kalodin were real nice, but Fever Sea definitely takes the cake.
02.09.2012 - 23:21
JD
Account deleted
Listening to Miroist's EP, good stuff.

7/10
29.01.2013 - 19:45
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I was torn between Fever Sea and Ivy Garden Of The Desert and finally... gave my vote to the latter. Maybe partly for the reason that I liked their previous work.
Overall, this time there were plenty of nice bands but none of them managed to impress me.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"

Hits total: 9187 | This month: 24