Metal Storm logo
Enslaved - Unveil New Album Title And Artwork

Norwegian progressive black metallers Enslaved have named their twelfth studio album Riitiir and have unveiled the album's artwork, which was created by Truls Espedal and can be viewed below. Riitiir is due out in Europe on September 28th and in North America on October 2nd through Nuclear Blast.

From the woods in Sweden, Enslaved guitarist/songwriter/founding member Ivar Bjørnson shares the following: "The album is, as mentioned, entitled Riitiir - a self-made 'Norse-ified' version of the words 'Rites' / 'Rituals.' RIITIIR = 'The Rites of Man,' to put it in a formulaic and easy way. There is no story with a timeline; again we've built structures that lay above the independent lyrics that we feel more comfortable with letting the reader explore, interpret, or simply discard themselves. It is entirely up to them. Meanwhile, we are extremely excited to see what visual artist and collaborator Truls Espedal has come up with this time. The collaboration between him, myself, and Grutle Kjellson was closer, more understanding and powerful this time than ever before in our more than decade-long cooperation. The album concept and our feelings connected to it hit home instantly with Truls, in the same way that his initial ideas resonated intensely with us from the second he shared them with us. We will, of course, discuss some key concepts and potential interpretations in deeper song-by-song analysis - but let's cross that rainbow when we get there."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Enslaved
Posted: 10.07.2012 by Alakazam

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 36   Visited by: 284 users
10.07.2012 - 21:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I've never associated these guys with cheese, always considering them somewhat of a "serious" band (in the professional sense), but this whole update reeks of pretension. And while cheese isn't the same thing, it still smells bad.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.07.2012 - 21:27
Azoic
Account deleted
*High-fives a lynx*
10.07.2012 - 21:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2012 at 21:26

I've never associated these guys with cheese, always considering them somewhat of a "serious" band (in the professional sense), but this whole update reeks of pretension. And while cheese isn't the same thing, it still smells bad.

they've had some degree of album concept and cohesion for a long time now. this isn't particularly different than discussing their approach to Monumension, ISA, Ruun, or Vertebrae.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.07.2012 - 21:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's the first time I've ever bothered to read about them hyping up a new release, but I suppose if this is how they normally go about it then I guess I've just been blissfully unaware of this side of them. Should be fun to read through their song-by-song analysis.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.07.2012 - 21:40
strade
Ah, just as brilliant as I would have expected. Counting the days.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
10.07.2012 - 21:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
Cannot wait to hear this after the last album...
10.07.2012 - 21:42
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
This is gonna be good!
10.07.2012 - 21:44
athena
Riitiir. Palindrome. That album cover is creeping me out...
10.07.2012 - 21:49
Lit.
Account deleted
Can you say "Pearl Jam?"
10.07.2012 - 21:58
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Hope they recorded their cover of 'Immigrant Song' as a bonus or something.
10.07.2012 - 21:58
Opethian
Never cared for any their work ....
10.07.2012 - 22:07
scaesura
Gonna be sweet. One of my most anticipated for the remainder of the year, to be sure.
10.07.2012 - 22:15
Czerny Reiter
Ever since seeing their live performance that I've been aware of a certain degree of pretentiousness from their part... offset by some cool and light-hearted on-stage humour. Part of their charm, really.

These news are not a surprise but then neither is the insane antecipation that this release ought to generate. Love the cover, too.
10.07.2012 - 23:15
F.N.S.C.A.C
Artwork looks siiiick, excited for this.

As far as I'm concerned it's easy to ignore their pretentiousness, just buy the album and make up your own mind
10.07.2012 - 23:20
SceneryOfLoss
Can't wait
10.07.2012 - 23:30
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Going for that "Tool-pseudo-mystical" hype... they are going to have to try really hard to disappoint anyone. (Except Troy that is...)
11.07.2012 - 00:24
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Maybe due to the colours and portrayal of hands, Heartwork sprung up to mind.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

11.07.2012 - 01:00
Symmachus
That's really cool album artwork, the way that the picture comes together in those arms.
11.07.2012 - 01:06
Jiri
Those hands are freaking me out...
11.07.2012 - 01:22
infernaldeath87
Looks awesome.
11.07.2012 - 02:24
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Jiri on 11.07.2012 at 01:06

They are coming. They are coming for Jiri.
11.07.2012 - 02:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
That artwork is pretty shitty if you ask me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.07.2012 - 02:37
strade
Had it not been for Bound By Entrails, I might have just gone ahead and crowned this album of the year already and been done with it. Only time will tell. Shall it be perfect like AEO? Or only amazing like Vetrebrae? Or 'merely' spectacular like Below the Lights? Or do I love Enslaved far too much and only make my peers uncomfortable with my insatiable thirst for more bitching Enslaved albums?

Time will tell...
----
11.07.2012 - 02:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.07.2012 at 02:34

That artwork is pretty shitty if you ask me.

truthfully i either don't like or am ambivalent to most their cover art. i like Frost, BTL a lot, most the rest are ok, and Eld and Blodhemn are, uh, notsomuch.

so long as the music is awesome, i can overlook the hands.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.07.2012 - 02:52
Jiri
Written by Guest on 11.07.2012 at 02:24

Written by Jiri on 11.07.2012 at 01:06

They are coming. They are coming for Jiri.

Yes, they are coming to molest him! But fear not! Jiri has a sword which is able to break the rocks! He will defeat hands with it. He will defend his body and soul!
11.07.2012 - 05:09
scaesura
Written by strade on 11.07.2012 at 02:37

Had it not been for Bound By Entrails, I might have just gone ahead and crowned this album of the year already and been done with it. Only time will tell. Shall it be perfect like AEO? Or only amazing like Vetrebrae? Or 'merely' spectacular like Below the Lights? Or do I love Enslaved far too much and only make my peers uncomfortable with my insatiable thirst for more bitching Enslaved albums?

Time will tell...

But, dude... Below the Lights is easily their best work, followed closely by Eld and Frost... Vertebrae was actually just kinda average for me. Decent but not great. Ruun and AOE were both pretty great though.
11.07.2012 - 06:20
strade
Written by scaesura on 11.07.2012 at 05:09

Written by strade on 11.07.2012 at 02:37

Time will tell...

But, dude... Below the Lights is easily their best work, followed closely by Eld and Frost... Vertebrae was actually just kinda average for me. Decent but not great. Ruun and AOE were both pretty great though.

I was actually using modesty to imply that almost all their works are incredible. People will have their favorites but I love them all.
----
11.07.2012 - 07:51
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2012 at 21:26

I know. It totally reminded me of a Rhapsody of Fire update. xD
11.07.2012 - 08:39
SSM
Massacred
Brilliant artwork, I like it.
But about the "song-by-song analysis",
I think it's better to give the audience the opportunity to seek and find the concepts and intentions themselves.
11.07.2012 - 09:04
I just chest bumped a dinosaur.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.

Hits total: 5261 | This month: 14