07. The Heretic Hammer [North American bonus]
08. The Sinister Awakening
09. The Fundamental Alienation
10. The Invaluable Darkness
11. The Foreshadowing Furnace
12. Black Metal [Venom cover] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [DVD]
01. The Serpentine Offering [video]
02. Making Of The Album With Dimmu Borgir (Studio Report)
03. Making Of "The Serpentine Offering"
+ Photogallery

Dimmu Borgir made quite the accomplishment with the album, In Sorte Diaboli. This 2007 release to me is one of their best, if not the best. In Sorte Diaboli (ISD) was the very first Dimmu Borgir album I bought, but it was also the very first black metal, or for you technical people out there, symphonic black metal albums that I bought.

Unlike many of their other albums, there seems to be more of a "common" sound structure. With previous albums it seemed to be about heavy and fast drums, bass, and guitar. Those elements have not been eliminated though, the band still adds those but adds the choruses and the harmonies that are not common with most black metal albums.

The production on this album was put together very well. Sadly this was the last album that the famous producer Fredrik Nordstrom worked with Dimm Borgir on. To me, there wasn't necessarily a "low point" on any part of the album. Every song struck me as a strong, independent track. The composition of the tracks as well as the performance of the tracks was no less than amazing. The first track (single) off this album that I heard was "The Chosen Legacy". When I first heard it, I was still just learning about the whole black metal genre, but this track seemed intriguing, for a lack of a better term.

Unlike many black metal singers, Shagrath has the ability to get that necessary shriek/growl in there, but still makes his lyrics understandable. That is a quality that I have loved about him from the get go. Along with all of the other tracks and singles on this album, they all follow the concept very well. For those of you that don't know, the concept is all about a medieval priest discovering that there is a "new path" so to speak as far as religion and as a way to think. The lyrical content strongly shows the "left handed path" that the priest took after making his discovery.

With concept albums, everything from the sound and lyrics, down to the artwork and presentation of the whole ordeal is important. The band more than successfully accomplished this. Something that occurs more than not, in the current music "era" that we are in, musicians don't create a concept to go with their album. Usually the songs are just thrown together whether they are related or not. Despite that fact, Dimmu Borgir was able to get around that, and still do something that everyone loves, a good story.

However, I shall digress. The album as a whole, to me is a great starting point for everyone when getting into black metal. Many fans of the genre may consider Dimmu Borgir to be "sellout black metal" or nothing like the true Norwegian black metal bands such as the (in)famous Mayhem and Gorgoroth. That is their problem, I recommend this album, along with this band, to all heavy metal listeners. For those that are searching for something heavy, I have just given you the key to the door, now unlock it, and walk into the unknown that is black metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Ekim Reklaw | 11.07.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
A Black Metal concept album? Yes, you read that right. Dimmu Borgir has once again found a way to stand out by taking an unconventional path. The Norwegian superstars are back with "In Sorte Diaboli", following mostly raw reviews on their re-release of "Stormblåst". Needless to say that their concept better stand the test if Dimmu Borgir wants to stay on top, seeing that their latest notable work was released in 2003. Remember "Death Cult Armageddon"?

Read more ››
published 17.06.2007 | Comments (39)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
So here it is, "In Sorte Diaboli", the long awaited new Dimmu Borgir concept album. It truly is a testament to the spirit of black metal, at least in it's message. The story is set in medieval england, and the concept that the album follows is that a man who is a priest's assistant realizes how corrupt the church is, and then in turn gets in touch with his dark side. Silenoz is the one who created the story and concept of the album, and I must say I apreciate him for that, I have been looking for an album dedicated to the message of corruption in organized religion. I would like all reading this review to prepare themselves to come into direct contact with Satan, prepare yourselves for "In Sorte Diaboli."

Read more ››
published 09.09.2007 | Comments (25)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Dimmu Borgir's eighth effort was sadly synchronized with the last appearance of ICS Vortex and Mustis, due to their dismissal from the band. The last record from their third wave, the band released a concept album for the first time in their career, which is quite attractive both in illustration terms and lyric-wise.

Read more ››
published 03.06.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 11   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 179 users
11.07.2012 - 10:38
Kamil
Account deleted
Quote:
Many fans of the genre may consider Dimmu Borgir to be "sellout black metal" (...) That is their problem

Haha, agree with this
Of course many of them soon will call you a fanboy mostly because of their cramped conditions of mind, but do not worry about them - they aren't worth any attention

Cheers and enjoy this very good album
11.07.2012 - 13:08
Rating: 8
Windrider
Raureif
Uh... First of all, this also was my first DB album and I still like it, one of their better ones in recent time.
But for me it does deserve an 8 at the highest, it is good indeed but imo not as much as you describe. I have problems to get your point out of this review, what makes the album so unique and awesome?

Apart from that I like your writing style, but please never say DB was Black Metal, at least since their late 90's. I could kill you for your last sentence but ok, until next time for now.
11.07.2012 - 15:13
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 11.07.2012 at 13:08
...but please never say DB was Black Metal, at least since their late 90's.

Oh please, as if we haven't heard this before. You don't like Dimmu being labeled black metal because they're popular and symphonic. Should be stop calling Emperor black metal then? Just because Dimmu are less extreme and more mainstream doesn't mean they don't embody the defining characteristics of black metal - even if it's an over-the-top symphonic brand of black metal.

It was only with Abrahadabra that they truly moved into more symphonic, less black metal territory.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.07.2012 - 15:49
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.07.2012 at 15:13

Oh please, as if we haven't heard this before. You don't like Dimmu being labeled black metal because they're popular and symphonic. Should be stop calling Emperor black metal then? Just because Dimmu are less extreme and more mainstream doesn't mean they don't embody the defining characteristics of black metal - even if it's an over-the-top symphonic brand of black metal.

It was only with Abrahadabra that they truly moved into more symphonic, less black metal territory.

I don't have problems with bands being popular or symphonic, I do listen to several other bands of that genre but I wouldn't call any of them black metal. To me, one of the main points of the "defining characteristics of black metal" is a minimum of instrumentation together with a maximum of atmosphere, this is what makes it my favourite style. It' not only blast beats, tremolo picking and having the word "Satan" a dozen times in each song.

I am ok if we call this style symphonic black metal, as long as it means that it's a genre standing for its own and not having more things in common with black than with power metal.
11.07.2012 - 15:55
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 11.07.2012 at 15:49
I am ok if we call this style symphonic black metal, as long as it means that it's a genre standing for its own and not having more things in common with black than with power metal.

Eh, I'm more concerned with enjoying the music I listen to as opposed to worrying about whether or not a certain band is labeled black metal. But I suppose that's where we differ.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.07.2012 - 16:39
Kamil
Account deleted
Windrider: definition of black metal is clear. Musically Dimmu Borgir has it all and everyone should accept fact, that they ARE playing black metal no matter, what some of you may think about this.
11.07.2012 - 16:46
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Guest on 11.07.2012 at 16:39

Windrider: definition of black metal is clear. Musically Dimmu Borgir has it all and everyone should accept fact, that they ARE playing black metal no matter, what some of you may think about this.

I don't think there is a clear definition but take this as example for some awesome and real black metal that everyone would agree on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-iQAddxzo
Then compare it again to songs like "The Serpentine Offering" and tell me what they have so much in common apart from being metal.
11.07.2012 - 19:21
Kamil
Account deleted
Written by Windrider on 11.07.2012 at 16:46

Written by Guest on 11.07.2012 at 16:39

I don't think there is a clear definition but take this as example for some awesome and real black metal that everyone would agree on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-iQAddxzo
Then compare it again to songs like "The Serpentine Offering" and tell me what they have so much in common apart from being metal.

Nice song, but in fact both bands are playing black metal. Only style and sound is different - nothing more
12.07.2012 - 09:22
Rating: 10
Big-Al

Was supposed to be the first of a trilogy... I hope Dimmu Borgir eventually do put together follow up albums to this one.
----

I drink moosepiss
12.07.2012 - 18:25
Ekim Reklaw

Written by Big-Al on 12.07.2012 at 09:22

Was supposed to be the first of a trilogy... I hope Dimmu Borgir eventually do put together follow up albums to this one.

I agree! Having the band tell us a trilogy was coming, and then to have them release Abrahadabra, a good album in my opinion but not even close to the same story, was a bit upsetting.
14.07.2012 - 00:04
Martin_metal

Why is your rating 9.8 when you gave it 10 in all?

Hits total: 4555 | This month: 10