06. Ten Billion Years
07. Hail Science
08. Hymn Of Sanity
09. In Solitude

The best Death Metal album of 2012

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
The Faceless have come a long way already over a career that hasn't even spanned them a decade, proving with each release their ever-evolving skill and maturation as composers. First there was 2006's Akeldama, a release that most everyone would regard as their worst due to its *gasp!* deathcorish elements. Then came 2008, and the band stepped up their game with Planetary Duality, moving further away from their deathcore roots and into some more promising tech death territory. That album brought hope for them to push the new sound even further, and now with 2012's Autotheism, those hopes have been met, the band even further transcending the foolish scene kid wanderings of their past in the process.

Read more ››
published 09.03.2013 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Many people criticize Autotheism as being a departure from The Faceless's previous direction, hoping that the progression from Akeldama to Planetary Duality would yield a third album even heavier and more technical than its predecessors. Autotheism is certainly in a much different vein from the band's previous efforts, being more progressive than technical, but it represents their creative and musical height, drawing on multiple influences to form what seems to be the true sound of The Faceless.

Read more ››
published 12.09.2013 | Comments (2)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 65   Visited by: 1000 users
18.07.2012 - 06:57
Rating: 8
infernaldeath87
One more month and this will be in my hands!
20.07.2012 - 05:59
Rating: 10
Autotheism is supposed to be released August 14th. I can't wait, i've wanted to hear it since Planetary Duality was released.
22.07.2012 - 20:05
Rating: 9
Just pre-ordered this! I hope it's as good as Planetary Duality!
09.08.2012 - 20:00
Grody2themax
Based on the the track they uploaded to youtube, (The Eidolon Reality) I have very very high expectations for this album.
10.08.2012 - 23:38
MIXHELL
Leaked...and it's weak comparing with Planetary Duality, but still good release.
This album includes big influences of Opeth and Cynic, and probably the biggest problem in album is - more included CLEAN VOCALS, but i can still listen them.

New line-up, new The Faceless! - We'll wait for a new shoot (release) with the new line-up which will include more technical, speedy, brutal things and not too much clean vocals.
Keene can do a lot better than this! C,mon! And for the end of my comment, the score - a small 8/10

Here's the last song from the album (which I thinks is the best track of this release) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDiafZaOUu4
11.08.2012 - 05:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Did someone just mention Opeth and Cynic in an album thread for The Faceless?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.08.2012 - 05:56
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.08.2012 at 05:21

Did someone just mention Opeth and Cynic in an album thread for The Faceless?

There is a quite obvious Cynic influence on The Faceless. Opeth, I don't know about that so much, but I've never liked Opeth.
11.08.2012 - 11:48
Moose
I hear some Opeth (and Devin Townsend) influences mainly in the first three tracks (The Autotheist Movement's).
It still sounds like The Faceless, but they've become a lot more experimental. Oh and there's quite a lot of clean vocals.

As for my opinion of the album... once it sinks in, I think it'll place anywhere from 1 to 3 in my top albums of the year. Very, very good.
11.08.2012 - 19:43
Rulatore
I can hear some influences of Opeth and Cynic. Couldn't listen to it in it's entirely
12.08.2012 - 03:07
Crucifux
Account deleted
Quote:
This album includes big influences of Opeth and Cynic

I'll definitely have to look into this now.
12.08.2012 - 05:17
MIXHELL
The more you listen, the more you love it
12.08.2012 - 06:06
BanksD
Account deleted
Didn't like PD...but this...this I can see being one of my top albums of this year
13.08.2012 - 01:58
TrollandDie
One-third of the way through and it's already satisfied me more than 70% of the material released this year.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
13.08.2012 - 04:31
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I decided to check out a song after reading your comments... Deconsecrate was excellent. I really need to check the whole record.
I think it sounds more like BTBAM than Opeth or Cynic, but I can see why you say that.

EDIT: Well, it did sound like a more brutal Watershed at times. What a lovely album.
14.08.2012 - 16:34
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Really enjoying this album. It's a really good mix of prog and tech. The only issue I feel with this album right now is that certain parts of it sound like I've heard it before, like they just took a bunch of styles from other bands and threw them together but didn't actually create their own sound.
14.08.2012 - 21:30
MechanisT
Account deleted
Really? That good? I should get my fingers wrapped around this asap.

EDIT: OH BOY. Who woulda thought. It's light years ahead of Planetary Duality. Shit.
15.08.2012 - 04:50
MetalDoomMaster
I don't see the Opeth references, I think the vocals sound a lot like Devin Townsend at times, and the music too. It's a good thing that Keene changed his vocal style from Planetary Duality because that would have gotten old fast. Interested to see how he pulls them off live. Also seems like they are getting further away from the deathcore bullshit.
15.08.2012 - 05:08
Void Eater
Account deleted
Sounds like Devin Townsend going tech death, pretty awesome. Never listened to the previous album, although apparently this is radically different.
15.08.2012 - 05:29
BenWasHere
Even my mom thought the clean vocals/instrumentation sounded like Devin Townsend...
Great album though, one of my favorites from this year. It's definitely still The Faceless but I think they're evolving their sound quite well.
15.08.2012 - 06:23
Grody2themax
You'r an idiot if you thought this wasn't a step up from planetary duality....or you just like more straight forward 1 dimensional tech death.
15.08.2012 - 16:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Definitely an excellent record. The guitar player is very technical without being a wanker and pulls out very soulful solos when the song asks for it. And there's the fretless bass and the impressive use of the keys and some good vocal melodies along with the growls. Loved it.
15.08.2012 - 20:16
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 15.08.2012 at 04:50

It's a good thing that Keene changed his vocal style from Planetary Duality because that would have gotten old fast.

Judging from the band lineup the vocalist on this release is not the same person as Planetary Duality. I guess that would explain the change in vocal style.
15.08.2012 - 21:17
MetalDoomMaster
Written by BaneConall on 15.08.2012 at 20:16

Written by MetalDoomMaster on 15.08.2012 at 04:50

It's a good thing that Keene changed his vocal style from Planetary Duality because that would have gotten old fast.

Judging from the band lineup the vocalist on this release is not the same person as Planetary Duality. I guess that would explain the change in vocal style.

I meant Keene's clean vocals. The new harsh vocalist actually sounds very similar
15.08.2012 - 21:59
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 15.08.2012 at 21:17

I meant Keene's clean vocals. The new harsh vocalist actually sounds very similar

Oh, I didn't even realize there was someone else doing the clean vocals. Correction fail ...
15.08.2012 - 22:25
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 15.08.2012 at 21:17

Are Keene's vocals the only cleans that we hear or is the other singer also pulling off some cleans? Because the vocals have some diversity throughout the record.
If that is all work of that guy, that's impressive.
15.08.2012 - 22:56
MetalDoomMaster
When I saw them last year, they had this vocalist and Keene did all the cleans, but the only song they played on this album was "The Eidolon Reality", which he also did the cleans on, so I'm guessing it's all him, but I don't know for sure.
16.08.2012 - 05:02
Thrashette
I also got reminded of Opeth when I listened to this one... It's hard to compare it to Planetary Duality since it's a pretty different style, much more varied and progessive. Their first release never struck me as anything special, but this one and Planetary Duality are both amazing.
17.08.2012 - 12:47
zarahuztra
Think this is a very good album, with well thought out songs. i hear a band that are paying attention n incorporate the influence of many of todays top metal acts, such as opeth, devin townsend, ihsahn, enslaved, dimmu borgir and roy kahn vocal style, alcest, lotsa tech death n prog metal. \m/
17.08.2012 - 18:44
Atrus
Great! Too low compared to Planetary Duality and Akeldama but still better than most albums this year. Some awesome melodies.
Maybe some annoying experimental sounds in Deconsecrate and disliking vocals in Eidolon Reality plus irregular Tracklist order fucks this album.
Overall is an incredible release. I just expected a bit more from The Faceless.
18.08.2012 - 08:26
The Voyager
The Table
Written by zarahuztra on 17.08.2012 at 12:47

roy kahn vocal style

You stop disrespecting Roy Khan like that, you hear me?

Hits total: 26889 | This month: 46