12. Robin's Song [live] [limited edition]

Disc II [limited edition DVD]
01. Requiem
02. In A Pale Moon's Shadow
03. Cantus Firmus
04. De La Morte Noir
05. Lost (Robin)
+ In a Pale Moon's Shadow [video]

Symphonic elements in Metal is nowadays in fashion like never before. Bands like Therion made it largely popular and even way before neoclassical artists such as Ygnwie J. Malmsteen were amazing listeners with a blend of classical elements and Heavy Metal. But the German combo Haggard pushed this form of expression to a newer level with 2002's highly acclaimed "Awakening The Centuries". A full orchestra, a full choir and a very talented Metal base ranging from Heavy to Death Metal brought listeners to their knees. In this context, "Eppur Si Muove" surfaced in early 2004 and totally rocked my world.

A one-piece monument of orchestration and head-banging riffs is the simplest way to sum up what this album has to offer, but it doesn't even come close to describe its content. Real piano, violins, violas, oboes and other flutes make this record an unmatched experience. The wide choir is a revolution in Metal spheres and the grunts and growls of the guitar player/singer add a tremendous dose of power, rage and emotion to the vocal department. Alternating pure classical pieces and epic blends of aforementioned styles, "Eppur Si Muove" is one of the best albums ever written. Every single listener would find his own favorite song here as they all produce a different effect. The duo composed by operatic singer Florian and growling singer Asis really expresses more than could be written about it while guitar riffs are astoundingly commanding.

Not only is their music classical, it also carries a great deal of folkish aspects, medieval folk would be a better term in Haggard's case. 'Of A Might Divine' is the perfect example, with a imposing force that drives the melody from A to Z and let you totally speechless. 'Herr Mannelig' is another deep moment on the album with the purest voices I've ever heard and that male bass voice that makes you want to sing along although you know you cannot do it. It's a slow-paced piece but the guitars are so heavy that it's one of the catchiest song on the CD. 'The Observer' is another "epic picture", one can see visions unfold while listening to this one. Better than any movie one could see! The title track is one crazy composition, featuring splendid soprano female vocals on the chorus, but overall a terrific journey from which you'll never return. Once grabbed, there is no turning back.

All these tracks are pure art and no doubt that Haggard is going to be around for a long time, at least let's hope so. The distinctiveness of their brilliant music is too much to be overlooked. So, forget all you've worshipped before, Haggard is almost certainly the only thing you'll want to hear afterwards. "Eppur si Muove" is one of 2004's must-listens, and if you still feel like avoiding it, know that it should be considered a crime.

Written on 14.12.2004 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 284 users
15.11.2006 - 19:08
Rating: 9
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Great review
Eppur Si Muove is a great album indeed, now I appreciate it more than before, the instrumental songs are beautiful and many of the songs are really powerful, like "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Imo, you can hear this album and suddenly love it, or hear it many times to get into it
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
15.11.2006 - 20:10
Rating: 10
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
indeed great review, i agree with everything you wrote

their new album is out soon, looking forwards to it a lot
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
31.12.2006 - 23:49
Dethroned
Account deleted
I Totally Agree with The Alchemist all The way man ...Eppur Si Muove !! Haggad Delivers Nothing But The Goods
01.01.2007 - 02:39
Bitch Boy
This is a real masterpiece, maybe not Haggard's best, but with great quality. Excellent review
04.01.2007 - 09:53
Sith Lord
Account deleted
Just a Great cd and yes it is a Masterpice Haggard All the way !
04.01.2007 - 21:57
Nyarlatothep
What? only a 9? Jebus..

Bloody ace album, and as I suprisingly has discovered, and a killer with the ladies to boot.
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
23.01.2007 - 00:22
haggardmaniac
Account deleted
it's a great CD!!..... I think is 10

all glory for HAGGARD!!!!
18.10.2007 - 23:06
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Good review, and awesome album!!
I cant wait till 'Tales Of Ithiria' are released.... I cannot imagine Haggard doing anything thats not excellent.... Assis is genious!
----
25.04.2008 - 02:33
Sulfur
Account deleted
Great review, i like this album , when i listen Haggard for first time, it was in 2006 with this album, and still i love it!!!:banger:
05.03.2009 - 13:54
bayern
Haggard is my favourite band and this is my favourite album of them and my all time favourite album.
All the songs are wanderfull.
16.04.2010 - 17:10
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
These death metal growls are still a major issue to me. I fucking hate them, without these this album would be perfect.. since the symphonic moments are simply stunning.

No one has mentioned the kick-ass cover art. One of the best ever. Galileu ftw! o/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.08.2010 - 09:38
Rating: 9
Aetherius
I got this album today and also 'And Thou Shalt Trust... The Seer' same day. I love this one even more and glad i have discovered this band. I am looking forward to when i can get the other albums prior and after these ^^ . all of this music is perfect and works very well together and I love all aspects of it!!

Hits total: 12471 | This month: 19