01. Lead Us
02. The Book
03. Die!!! (Gín Psie)
04. Raining Blood [Slayer cover]
+ This Is The War [video]
+ Helleluyah!!! (God Is Dead) [video]
+ Sword Of The Witcher [video]

Steamroller of an album

Although the last few Vader albums (especially those without Doc on drums) were far from being poor in quality, it seemed to me like the brute force that the band is famous for was missing. Well, Poland's primary export (not only in musical terms) are back with a vengeance on Impressions In Blood since this is by far one of the most brutal and punishing releases not only this year but overall in death metal history.

As my friend Herzebeth will be the first to tell you, 2006 has so far been quite the exquisite year for death metal in general so it is no small feat for Vader to achieve what they have with Impressions In Blood - its definitely one of the best of these releases. After the short intro, the band gets right to business - this is serious blasting stuff that just doesn't stop. Vader has always been famous for their insane and inhuman blastbeats and Daray not only manages to fill Doc's shoes, he also actually outgrows his excellent predecessor on many occasions. The band finally slows down the pace on "Predator" and this is also done with great style since the song is simply pulverizing in its heaviness.

After this short change in pace the band gets back to blasting away. What is wonderful is that as heavy and brutal as all of this is, it is also quite catchy and memorable. Of course, all of the real masters of death metal know this - in order for this style of music to work there must be a hidden dosage of melody beneath all the aggression. Vader pulls off this trick brilliantly on Impressions In Blood and I guarantee that songs like "Red Code", "ShadowsFear" and especially "Halleluyah (God Is Dead)" wont leave your subconscious for a long while.

Impressions In Blood is definitely one of the best albums of this year in death metal and will certainly pose a great threat for Cannibal Corpse, Deicide and Suffocation at the end of the year charts. Highly recommended.

Written on 15.11.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 209 users
15.11.2006 - 22:25
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Quote:
Of course, all of the real masters of death metal know this - in order for this style of music to work there must be a hidden dosage of melody beneath all the aggression.

so true ) even the most brutal death metal usual includes such. i like vader very much for their solos, which are....different a bit. they play a lot of short solos but they always fit perfectly to the song and are extremely melodical. nice contrast between neverending tremolo of vaders riffs . btw nice review man. i wouldnt expect to review such music (no offence dont worry), youve always reviewed much more experimental stuff. anyway i agree that this album is great .

EDIT: btw im coming to their concert on 2nd December ) yay
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
15.11.2006 - 22:27
rlagksquf
um..I should check this band..thanks
15.11.2006 - 22:47
Herzebeth
You didn't add your little symbol for this album? you're one screwed little fellow. let's hook up someday
----
15.11.2006 - 23:28
Rating: 8
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Good album, recommended for those who think De Profundis is their best. Somehow I liked The Beast and The Art Of War better though.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
15.11.2006 - 23:35
Rating: 9
AnarChrist
brilliant album,but Litany and Revelations remain my favorites
all their releases so far have been brilliant
long live polish death metal and long live vader!
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
16.11.2006 - 00:22
Rating: 10
Doh
I would even say , that this is their best album.
16.11.2006 - 03:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is definitely better than Revelations and The Beast, but overall it seems like an average Vader album. The song Helleluyah is pretty gay, but the other songs are cool. Pretty much perfect recording quality as well, if I remember correctly.
16.11.2006 - 05:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Very good album, indeed...
16.11.2006 - 08:54
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
rules, definitely, 06 in respect to death metal, fucking owns.
16.11.2006 - 09:05
Herzebeth
I just wanted to say something... 2006 has so far been quite the exquisite year for death metal in general
----
16.11.2006 - 15:36
Martinikuss
very good album, sehr gut album, bardzo dobry album \m/
18.11.2006 - 19:35
Mindheist
No Longer Human
'Although the last few Vader albums (especially those without Doc on drums) were far from being poor in quality'.

Well, let's make it clear, Doc was and will stay among the best drummers hailing from Poland. His appearances on Vader, Dies Irae and Slashing Death were far to be a coincidence.
Back to your review, Impressions In Blood is a masterpiece of extreme death metal. Well rated (9.2). Congrats. However, it's tiny , just a little. Some albums need descriptions from 350 to 600 words. This album has caused many confusions to the scene, you know. It's not necessary to mention that, since you are a reviewer...But aside from that, it's good, i liked it though Herz and Jupi .
18.11.2006 - 21:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
In case you havent noticed, I dont rate albums. The 9.2 is an average taken from the users' ratings.
18.12.2006 - 00:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album has grown on me quite a bit. The new drummer has some pretty good timing and it's good to see a stagnating band become revitalized. I think that maybe this album has made it in my top 5 for this year too...
22.12.2006 - 16:57
Glabrezu
No doubt ne of the best metal albums of 2006... Surely on the podium this year. ShadowFear ,Halleluyah! ,and Predator are fantastic!
LET'S BRUTAL!!! 10/10
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
06.02.2007 - 06:33
brutal_name
Account deleted
this is up there on my favorite albums. Am i the only person who thinks Amongst the Ruins fucking dominates?
11.02.2007 - 16:39
Kurzag
Account deleted
Great album. One of the best from 2006.
13.03.2007 - 08:24
Danny Thomas
Written by Dangerboner on 18.12.2006 at 00:49

This album has grown on me quite a bit. The new drummer has some pretty good timing and it's good to see a stagnating band become revitalized. I think that maybe this album has made it in my top 5 for this year too...

i think its made my top 5 of the year as well. you said "it's good to see a stagnating band become revitalized" i wasnt aware they were "stagnating". the first album i heard was revelations, and next the beast, both which i thought were great albums, but i do agree witht he fact that this 1 is better. shadowfear is f'ing great
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
13.03.2007 - 13:33
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
This album is really great, and your review too
The aggressive sound of this album is impressive indeed.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
10.04.2007 - 07:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Im not commenting on the band or album, but that cover looks alot like Belphegors 'Pestapokalypse VI', am I the only one who sees the similarity?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
13.05.2007 - 00:53
__Az__
Amazing album. I listended to it a few weeks ago, and again today. It really didnt leave my sub-conscious at alll... I love it.
13.05.2007 - 00:54
__Az__
Written by Doc G. on 10.04.2007 at 07:10

Im not commenting on the band or album, but that cover looks alot like Belphegors 'Pestapokalypse VI', am I the only one who sees the similarity?

Hmmmmm, i guess there is kind of A similarity, what with all the red and everything...
31.08.2007 - 18:43
Droglii
Account deleted

Impressions in Blood was released earlier than Pestapokalypse VI. So rather Belphegor copy it
31.08.2007 - 22:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 31.08.2007 at 18:43

Impressions in Blood was released earlier than Pestapokalypse VI. So rather Belphegor copy it

Oh, I wasnt hinting at anyone copying eachother (the similarities are probably accidental)...just sort of commenting on how they look alot alike from afar.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
06.10.2007 - 16:26
Infurnace
Certainly one of the best Death Metal releases in years. I really enjoy this cd. Great work, Vader!
21.04.2008 - 15:44
Behemnilephegor
Account deleted
Shadowsfear brings tears to my eyes... This CD deserves its high marks!
03.05.2008 - 05:12
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
great death metal work.. when i see the N/A rate i though it was meant to be a zero xD. Then its just read. Anyway, its a good review and a good album and any dm fan will enjoy.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.12.2008 - 10:35
st1llborn
Account deleted
The Book is one of the best death metal songs ever!
08.12.2008 - 22:48
Nightbane
I just started listening to them recently. I know that blast beating is their style but some songs sound similar becouse of blast beats. If only they would calm down a little and make more songs like The Book.
----
Music saved my life
28.04.2011 - 16:24
*MetalSlave*
Each and every riff is wonderful and memorable, thats what i love about Vader.

Hits total: 8143 | This month: 15