Release date: 5 July 2012
Style: Industrial black metal

Owners:

42 have it
10 want it

01. I
02. II

Additional info
Comes in "fake leather" rigid gatefold cover with gold hot foil print. Released as 12" gatefold LP only.

Pressed on 180 gram vinyl.

Staff review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
N/A
In recent months the focus of Blut Aus Nord's fanbase and outpouring of news has clearly been on the impending final part of the 777 trilogy, Cosmosophy. Even had that not been the case the most ardent fan could have quite easily let this slip by without notice; there was nary a sight nor sound from the label concerning this vinyl-only EP, perhaps at best one Facebook update shortly before its release. Maybe that was Debemur Mortii's plan from the outset; to keep an air of mystery surrounding it. After all, this kind of thing isn't made for more than a smattering of weirdos and audiophiles.

Read more ››
published 01.08.2012 | Comments (21)

Staff pick by
Account deleted
What part of "Dissonance Incarnate" did you not understand?

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: X-Ray Rod, Introspekrieg, Ag Fox
Bandcamp music player

Found in 11 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 306 users
23.07.2012 - 16:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hellish.

Pretty damned excellent, as expected.
23.07.2012 - 16:58
InnerSelf
proofread free
Yes please
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
23.07.2012 - 17:21
Vombatus
Potorro
Those guitars drive me crazy. Atmosphere is so sickeningly good.
25.07.2012 - 00:30
Rating: 8
Paz
Elite
According to MA release date is July 5th. Why wasn't any information about this EP earlier Who cares, damn new BAN release!
31.07.2012 - 12:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well, I've listened to the rip, I can say that in terms of sound and texture Liber II has to best since, I dunno, perhaps MoRT. As much as I like Desanctification (and to a less extent Sect(s)) the artificial sound of it has never sat quite right with me. Liber II, however, is nigh on perfect in balance and tone. And those bendy, dissonant riffs. Oy.

Second half of this.

31.07.2012 - 15:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 31.07.2012 at 12:25
Side B

I won't lie to you, that was definitely a chore for me to get through. But around the eight minute mark things seemed to take a turn for the best. A big fan of how that song concluded, being far more "direct" and less... discordant than the first seven minutes leading up to it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2012 - 16:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.07.2012 at 15:59
I won't lie to you, that was definitely a chore for me to get through. But around the eight minute mark things seemed to take a turn for the best. A big fan of how that song concluded, being far more "direct" and less... discordant than the first seven minutes leading up to it.

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.07.2012 - 16:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haha
31.07.2012 - 17:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Part II was sexy. Really liked the 4:30ish mark.

Does anyone else think thats a pretty sweet looking cover?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2012 - 17:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 31.07.2012 at 17:41

Does anyone else think thats a pretty sweet looking cover?

Yes. Because it is.
11.08.2012 - 04:07
Rating: 9
The Galactician
This EP makes my ear holes happy.
17.09.2012 - 23:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think this EP (and the Liber series as a whole so far) tops the 777 trilogy. I realise now how much I dislike the production and overall sound on the 777s now it's complete; it's far too clinical, even though I like the approach and style. This however has pretty much everything I like from the band with an amazing production and sound to base it on, which in my opinion translates, or transmits, BaN's sound in its most true and effective fashion. Quite a lot is lost in the filtering and refining process the 777s go through. A bit like overcooking vegeables. Still good for you, only they're better if they still have a bit of an edge to them.
17.09.2012 - 23:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.09.2012 at 23:08

I think this EP (and the Liber series as a whole so far) tops the 777 trilogy. I realise now how much I dislike the production and overall sound on the 777s now it's complete; it's far too clinical, even though I like the approach and style. This however has pretty much everything I like from the band with an amazing production and sound to base it on, which in my opinion translates, or transmits, BaN's sound in its most true and effective fashion. Quite a lot is lost in the filtering and refining process the 777s go through. A bit like overcooking vegeables. Still good for you, only they're better if they still have a bit of an edge to them.

I personally wouldn't have a problem giving the first 2 parts of the triology as much praise as the Liber series. Loved both the sound/production as much as the style and its approach.

Except for the last part of the triology. I can't say I'm satisfied at all, to say that it's the least good of the triology is an understatement considering how much I loved the first 2 parts. It's not bad, but definitely a drop in quality for me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.09.2012 - 23:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.09.2012 at 23:27

I personally wouldn't have a problem giving the first 2 parts of the triology as much praise as the Liber series. Loved both the sound/production as much as the style and its approach.

Except for the last part of the triology. I can't say I'm satisfied at all, to say that it's the least good of the triology is an understatement considering how much I loved the first 2 parts. It's not bad, but definitely a drop in quality for me.

I like it more or less as much as the first two parts (they're all gonna get 8s from me). I can't get through any of them without being very aware of the occasional lulls in quality - no doubt a result of songwriting being spread too thinly - and the lack of real ambiance in any of them which, for me, really shows itself in the song highlights which never quite hit the orgasmic level for me. The performance is there, but the delivery isn't. My brain is so much more comfortable with the Libers than the 777s.
17.09.2012 - 23:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.09.2012 at 23:31
The performance is there, but the delivery isn't.

Well, to me that only applies to the latest part as I find the songwriting in the first 2 near perfect. Even so I would still give it around 8 (gave 9 to the first two parts). I obviously still like it. Would give the third part a 7,5 if we could use the 0,5 idea though... Major problem: The vocals were a failed experiment that seriously damaged my opinion of the album.

Also, I'm extra sensible to sugar.
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.09.2012 - 23:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.09.2012 at 23:53

Well, to me that only applies to the latest part as I find the songwriting in the first 2 near perfect. Even so I would still give it around 8 (gave 9 to the first two parts). I obviously still like it. Would give the third part a 7,5 if we could use the 0,5 idea though... Major problem: The vocals were a failed experiment that seriously damaged my opinion of the album.

Also, I'm extra sensible to sugar.

Yeah the clean vocal thing could have been approached in a variety of ways, and it seems they opted for a way that doesn't seem particularly compatible with the sound. I'd probably have dug some creepy choir-esque chanting or some such, but not what they went with.
18.09.2012 - 00:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 17.09.2012 at 23:55
I'd probably have dug some creepy choir-esque chanting or some such, but not what they went with.

Exactly, and it kind of pisses me off more because it's not like they haven't tried that before. Just listen to Epitome X from Desantification. those choirs/chanting on the backgroun would have worked far better than the vocals we got on the last part.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.09.2012 - 09:43
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Still dunno what to make of this, but I definitely prefer Desanct and Sects over Cos...
I probably should check liber I to fully appreciate liber II
----
loves 小巫
11.10.2012 - 15:46
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
It's a tad upsetting that in the middle of their 777 series, they release this EP which outdoes everything in the series. The Desanctification is almost as good, but not quite up there
12.10.2012 - 17:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This ^
12.10.2012 - 22:39
Vombatus
Potorro
Not sure if I like it more than all three albums (the 4 are excellent), but releasing it in the middle is quite weird as the style is totally different from the kind of gradual progression of the 777 series.

I think it would have been awesome as some sort of prequel to Sect(s)... and making it longer.
12.10.2012 - 22:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 12.10.2012 at 22:39

Not sure if I like it more than all three albums (the 4 are excellent), but releasing it in the middle is quite weird as the style is totally different from the kind of gradual progression of the 777 series.

I think it would have been awesome as some sort of prequel to Sect(s)... and making it longer.

It's a completely separate and unrelated project though, so I don't think it really matters when it was released.
12.10.2012 - 23:58
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 12.10.2012 at 22:58

Written by Vombatus on 12.10.2012 at 22:39

It's a completely separate and unrelated project though, so I don't think it really matters when it was released.

Yeah I mean, quite honestly I think it's great that they released this when they did. Something to tie us over during the gap between The Desanctification to Cosmosophy, but, like i said earlier, this outdoes everything in the 777 series... so yeah...
Either way they've released 5 great albums/eps since 2010 (liber I/II and the 777's) and I can't really complain
31.05.2013 - 14:22
mz
Literally speachless by this EP, just xcellent and well done. BaN might be the only band which managed to please me this much by albums with such diversity in sounds (TWWTG, MoRT, Liber II and cosposophy).
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
31.05.2013 - 14:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 31.05.2013 at 14:22

Literally speachless by this EP, just xcellent and well done. BaN might be the only band which managed to please me this much by albums with such diversity in sounds (TWWTG, MoRT, Liber II and cosposophy).

This is definitely their greatest work since MoRT, in my eyes anyway.
31.05.2013 - 14:31
mz
Written by Guest on 31.05.2013 at 14:24

Written by mz on 31.05.2013 at 14:22

This is definitely their greatest work since MoRT, in my eyes anyway.

It definetly tops 777 series, both in songwritting and production departments (as you stated) but I have not listened to all of their post MoRT albums and EPs so cannot judge those. I also prefer this to MoRT a little and should decrease my MoRT rating to 9 (or increase this one to 10, maybe? )
----
31.05.2013 - 14:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 31.05.2013 at 14:31

It definetly tops 777 series, both in songwritting and production departments (as you stated) but I have not listened to all of their post MoRT albums and EPs so cannot judge those. I also prefer this to MoRT a little and should decrease my MoRT rating to 9 (or increase this one to 10, maybe? )

To me this is how BaN should sound: dense, dissonant and difficult I'd like the 777 series a lot more if the production was more akin to this.
31.05.2013 - 15:01
mz
Written by Guest on 31.05.2013 at 14:40

Written by mz on 31.05.2013 at 14:31

To me this is how BaN should sound: dense, dissonant and difficult I'd like the 777 series a lot more if the production was more akin to this.

aagreed & agreed
----
27.01.2014 - 16:50
Desert Father
Brilliant EP through and through, while I enjoy 777 this series contains more of what BaN stands for in my mind.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
29.07.2015 - 08:47
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Where can I find a place to buy or download this?
----

Hits total: 10145 | This month: 28