Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favorite Album Art?

Have you ever taken a good look at some albums in your collection and thought to yourself "My God, if only this piece of shit album was half as good as the album artwork that covers it, it would be a solid 10/10." Pretty much anyone who owns Manowar's Anthology has surely thought that at some point or another.

The point being, it's time to give some props to the unsung heroes who create the album artwork of your favorite, and not-so-favorite albums. We want to know what Metal Storm, as a collective, considers the very best album artwork of all time.

Here's how it works:
Step 1: Go through your album collection, pick out your top 3 favorite album covers of all time, regardless of the quality of the music on the albums.
Step 2: Send a PM to Doc Godin here on Metal Storm with your 3 picks.
Step 3: Tune in on July 31st, and we will reveal the top 50 picks. You can then choose your top 3 favorites out of those 50, and we'll continue to whittle it down in that manner.

The deadline for Round 1 is July 30th.

The point? No point. Just for fun.

- The Metal Storm Team
Posted: 24.07.2012 by Doc Godin

Comments page 4 / 6

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 158   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 666 users
27.07.2012 - 20:06
.Nick

There's a lot of cool artwork, but I'll go for these 3.

Amorphis - Skyforger

http://www.amorphis.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/skyforger_kansi.jpg

Satyricon - The Age Of Nero

http://www.satyricon.no/images/Satyricon_the_age_of_nero.jpg

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/3256421152_0135a7fafb.jpg
27.07.2012 - 20:18
scaesura

I dont understand how anyone who selects Storm of the Light's Bane can do so over such superior artwork as Frost or Far Away from the Sun or whatever else you care to name.
27.07.2012 - 20:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by scaesura on 27.07.2012 at 20:18

I dont understand how anyone who selects Storm of the Light's Bane can do so over such superior artwork as Frost or Far Away from the Sun or whatever else you care to name.

Or about a million other artworks. It's an uninteresting and unspectacular artwork imo, but then so many of these are. Most are bad, overly shiny/messily put together photoshop jobs.
27.07.2012 - 21:06
scaesura

Written by Guest on 27.07.2012 at 20:39

Or about a million other artworks. It's an uninteresting and unspectacular artwork imo, but then so many of these are. Most are bad, overly shiny/messily put together photoshop jobs.

Indeed. Honestly I'm pretty disappointed by most people's selections. And I dunno how successful this will be, consequently.
27.07.2012 - 23:13

Account deleted
Written by scaesura on 27.07.2012 at 21:06

Indeed. Honestly I'm pretty disappointed by most people's selections. And I dunno how successful this will be, consequently.

So, it's bullshit if the majority do not choose what you like?
28.07.2012 - 00:55
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Hahaha, someone had to put forth the cover for Born Again by Black Sabbath. I read that this album caused quite a stir when it came out. Doesn't seem a big deal to me but I can imagine people would get upset because babies are beautiful and pure and a depiction of a demonic baby offends people. The bright blue and red they've used is a bit much, and really makes it stand out, with the nice touch of the yellow claws and fangs. Green eyes are weird. For the record, babies are beautiful and pure and sweet and I love them. Haven't heard this album though, so might give it a spin. Gillan on vocals with Sabbath - always been curious about that mix.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.07.2012 - 00:58
theFIST

Written by Uldreth on 27.07.2012 at 12:17

Ahhh, Far Away From The Sun, excellent choice, a bit surprised to see it here.

the idea is great, but done too flat for being a really great cover
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
28.07.2012 - 01:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.07.2012 at 23:13

I don't think it's that necessarily, I just think it would be nice if people put a bit of thought into what they were choosing instead of putting album arts from their favourite records. Obviously art is in the eye the beholder yada yada, but personally I think people have bloody awful taste in art. I mean that Sabbaton cover... seriously...
28.07.2012 - 01:10

Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 01:02

I don't think it's that necessarily, I just think it would be nice if people put a bit of thought into what they were choosing instead of putting album arts from their favourite records. Obviously art is in the eye the beholder yada yada, but personally I think people have bloody awful taste in art. I mean that Sabbaton cover... seriously...

I'll quote Warman here, for truth.

Written by Warman on 24.07.2012 at 18:20

Damn, I've been staring at my albums for hours! This is impossible. And how do I compare one album to another? I've narrowed it down to four categories:
1. Album art which just screams METAL.
2. Album covers which could go for art.
3. Just cool album art.
4. Morbid and/or depressive stuff.
I really don't know what I prefer. This is hell.

Not everyone is going with "artsy" artworks.
28.07.2012 - 04:00
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Does the back cover for Billy Idol's Cyberpunk count?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.07.2012 - 04:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.07.2012 at 00:55

Hahaha, someone had to put forth the cover for Born Again by Black Sabbath. I read that this album caused quite a stir when it came out. Doesn't seem a big deal to me but I can imagine people would get upset because babies are beautiful and pure and a depiction of a demonic baby offends people. The bright blue and red they've used is a bit much, and really makes it stand out, with the nice touch of the yellow claws and fangs. Green eyes are weird. For the record, babies are beautiful and pure and sweet and I love them. Haven't heard this album though, so might give it a spin. Gillan on vocals with Sabbath - always been curious about that mix.

I think it ended up that way because someone reversed the original colours, but Iommi liked it anyway, so it stuck.
Give it a listen, it's a lot heavier than the albums either side of it.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.07.2012 - 05:50
scaesura

Written by Guest on 27.07.2012 at 23:13

Never said that though I see how you might think I meant that.

Should probably have broken up my thoughts a bit.
1. Peoples selections disappoint me. Some are good, some are bad, some meh.
2. Also disappointing, there's no repeating/common selections - bad sign for this, just from whats been posted anyway.
2b. Thusly, since there are no repeating or common selections that I've seen just in here, be they good or bad, it may be difficult to come to any consensus.
28.07.2012 - 06:28

Account deleted
Written by scaesura on 28.07.2012 at 05:50

Never said that though I see how you might think I meant that.

Should probably have broken up my thoughts a bit.
1. Peoples selections disappoint me. Some are good, some are bad, some meh.
2. Also disappointing, there's no repeating/common selections - bad sign for this, just from whats been posted anyway.
2b. Thusly, since there are no repeating or common selections that I've seen just in here, be they good or bad, it may be difficult to come to any consensus.

It's ok, I might have misunderstood. Sorry.
1. Well, yes, that's how it is
2. I disagree. This is the first round, in which the thousands of album arts out there are going to be narrowed down to fifty. Variation is normal at this point. I dont even think we've seen fifty posted yet.
28.07.2012 - 07:16
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 06:28

2. I disagree. This is the first round, in which the thousands of album arts out there are going to be narrowed down to fifty. Variation is normal at this point. I dont even think we've seen fifty posted yet.

There could be a heap more that have voted because the instructions were to PM Doc Godin with your 3 selections. I've already done that. I didn't post my selections to this thread but it has been very interesting seeing what others have chosen.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.07.2012 - 07:45

Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.07.2012 at 07:16

There could be a heap more that have voted because the instructions were to PM Doc Godin with your 3 selections. I've already done that. I didn't post my selections to this thread but it has been very interesting seeing what others have chosen.

Conversely, I haven't sent Doc my votes yet. I'm holding till I make up my mind.
28.07.2012 - 16:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Somehow forgot about this one. The album is nothing special but the artwork is truly something else:

28.07.2012 - 17:08
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 16:01

Somehow forgot about this one. The album is nothing special but the artwork is truly something else:

What's the band/album name?

I saw this in yer "favourite album covers" collection too and got intrigued but couldnt find the bandname.
28.07.2012 - 17:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 28.07.2012 at 17:08

What's the band/album name?

I saw this in yer "favourite album covers" collection too and got intrigued but couldnt find the bandname.

Voila!
28.07.2012 - 18:35
theFIST

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 16:01

looks boring
----
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
28.07.2012 - 19:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by theFIST on 28.07.2012 at 18:35

looks boring

You're right. Garish, horribly oversaturated, messy photoshop disasters like this are much better

The key is, once you think you have enough detail and colour and planets and shit, ADD A FUCK LOAD MOAR.
28.07.2012 - 19:57
theFIST

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 19:36

looks boring

You're right. Garish, horribly oversaturated, messy photoshop disasters like this are much better

The key is, once you think you have enough detail and colour and planets and shit, ADD A FUCK LOAD MOAR.

yes, very much

well, i enjoy hearing, seeing and tasting much, so i like pictures with many details
----
28.07.2012 - 20:40

Account deleted
Written by theFIST on 28.07.2012 at 19:57

well, i enjoy hearing, seeing and tasting much, so i like pictures with many details

Every single piece of detail here corresponds to something in the album.
28.07.2012 - 20:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 20:40

That's how you use detail and colour effectively.
28.07.2012 - 22:23
theFIST

yet the result of it just looks like a fairy tale illustration
reminds me of vildhjarta: work on getting every note on the right place for boring the listener into sleep
----
28.07.2012 - 22:26

Account deleted
Written by theFIST on 28.07.2012 at 22:23

reminds me of vildhjarta: work on getting every note on the right place for boring the listener into sleep

But I do not find it boring.
28.07.2012 - 22:45
theFIST

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 22:26

Written by theFIST on 28.07.2012 at 22:23

But I do not find it boring.

because our tastes are different
----
29.07.2012 - 00:35
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 28.07.2012 at 17:14

Voila!

Thanks.

By the looks of it I won't be much interested but the artwork IS gorgeous.
29.07.2012 - 00:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

looks boring

that is some totally terribly horrendous cover art there. my flying fucking God.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.07.2012 - 00:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

looks boring

[shit picture]

Oh dear lord this is just bullshit.... This is basically "wanking" in picture form. Urgh. There's no such a thing as "many details" anymore... It's wanking.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.07.2012 - 02:15
Milena
gloom cookie
I'll be voting for my mainstream faves when this gets filtered, but getting a few underdogs in:

<- Since it doesn't load for me, this is Madder Mortem's Eight Ways.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 17408 | This month: 11