05. Ma-O-Tzur
06. Good King Wenceslas
07. Lord Of The Dance / Simple Gifts
08. We Three Kings
09. Wish You Were Here
10. Emmanuel
11. Christmas Eve
12. We Wish You A Merry Christmas

Legendary Deep Purple and Rainbow guitarist, Ritchie Blackmore is well know to be a fan of mediaeval periods and folk music. His folk project, Blackmore's Night (the meeting of Ritchie Blackmore and Candice Night, his girlfriend) knows a real success, especially in Japan since 1997, and years after years they're releasing new "sweety" albums. Blackmore's Night is nothing Metal, but if you like sweet tender and emotive folk and if you're a bit bored by brutality, I really recommend you their new release "Winter Carol", a perfect album to pass winter and Christmas quietly at home.

If you're looking for saturated guitars, I' m sorry but you're not reading the good review. "Winter Carols" is based on winter folk ballads and "carol" that was a form of dance music played by minstrels during the Middle Ages. The album is full of folk guitar, harps, whistle and simple percussions and evidently Candice sings with her really beautiful voice on each song. This is full of good and nice intentions the songs are beautiful and tender and even if it can sound a bit "too much" sometime, in general it's really good to listen to it.

"Winter Carols" is more a matter of ambiances and emotions than anything else. Maybe that you'll find this image stupid or cheesy, but really it's perfect for a cold night of winter in front of some fire in your living room. Plus, you must know that some of the songs are "Christmas" related songs, "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" for example is the real "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" that we all know! But a la Folk sauce evidently! You can prepare this CD for December, and to be honest when you know that a lot of others artist will release "Christmas" albums (Tarja Turunen, Twisted Sisters etc?) I can tell you that "Winter Carols" will probably be among the best releases. After all, we're talking about a Ritchie Blackmore's album so everything is just perfectly played and even if it's a ballad album, you'll be able to listen to some good guitars soli ("Wish You Were Here"?) don't worry.

"Winter Carols" is a really beautiful album, something perfect for the long cold winter nights. Maybe that it is a bit "too much" sometime but well, some innocent and friendly music will never hurt us in this brutal world right? Folk and ballads lovers this is for you (evidently you don't have to be allergic to Christmas).

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 16.11.2006

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 44 users
16.11.2006 - 15:19
Talvi

This is not very metal, but it's nice to see Blackmore's Night here. They make good music, but I've still not found a very good album of theirs.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.11.2006 - 17:38
Basso
Account deleted
lol @ track nr 3.

I am usually refered to as Basse by my mates here ^^. Basse Dance, ist krieg
16.11.2006 - 17:38
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I love Blackmore's Night. Have to make my parents buy this one for christmas ^^
16.11.2006 - 17:58
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Blackmores Night are amazing, my fav two albums are Shadow Of The moon and Ghost Of A Rose, how does this compare to the these albums Jeff? Besides the fact its carols.
18.11.2006 - 08:20
Susan
Smeghead
Shit. I am buying this RIGHT now... I am such a Christmas geek

EDIT: I've had the album for a few days now and, to quote Jeff, "Winter Carols" is a really beautiful album"
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 7457 | This month: 6