02. A Vow To Conquer The Ocean
03. From A Tidal Sleep
04. Celestial Tear
05. Convergence
06. Sirens
07. Isle Of Solace
08. The Drowning Sun
09. Voyage Of A Wavering Mind

When it comes to metal if there is one thing I appreciate it's when a band manages to not only fit their music to an idea or a point of focus but make it a bloody enjoyable listen in doing so. Everything from the exceptionally well executed oceanic theme of In Mourning's latest release to the album's title, which matches not only this theme but lets you know exactly what kind of experience you're in for, and displays a clear sense of direction and understanding for where the band want to take their sound.

As unrelenting and inevitable as the incoming tide the melodic death riffs drench with the crushing force of waves in a sea storm. These are best represented in the heavy hitters like "A Vow To Conquer The Ocean", which shifts from Amon Amarth-like barrage into the elongated and slower paced progressive melodies and back again, "Convergence" and the comparatively shorter "Isle Of Solace." The album is geared more towards this driving kind of melodic death riffery interconnected with clever guitar work which somehow manages to evoke aquatic imagery in a unique way. An example is the album highlight "From A Tidal Sleep" with shimmering riffs and passages, particularly in the introduction, which go a long way to connecting with the overarching theme.

The quieter moments don't fail to impress either with "Celestial Tear" boasting some soothing clean vocals and the piano break of "Sirens" offering a reprieve before the storm of the final three tracks of the album.

The only drawback is the considerable tendency to fall back on repetition, perhaps taking too long to extend beyond that one riff or melody, at moments holding onto them more than necessary. Despite this the transitions and changes in melody are executed adeptly, and tracks like the excellent "The Drowning Sun" manage to be somewhat repetitive yet shifting at a pace that allows for flow.

Remarkably well produced, strong songwriting and an impressive display of musical ability are all bolstered by this album's clear and central aim. A must hear album for melo-death and prog fans alike.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by R'Vannith | 30.07.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 240 users
30.07.2012 - 12:50
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
Quote:
The only drawback is the considerable tendency to fall back on repetition, perhaps taking too long to extend beyond that one riff or melody, at moments holding onto them more than necessary.

One of the biggest reasons why this album is such a snoozefest. Way too much generic tripe to consistently make up for the 7-8 minutes. They just tried too hard.
30.07.2012 - 13:22
Rating: 8
Kuroboshi

Written by Risto on 30.07.2012 at 12:50

One of the biggest reasons why this album is such a snoozefest. Way too much generic tripe to consistently make up for the 7-8 minutes. They just tried too hard.

I agree. Although I wouldn't call it a snoozefest, it feels like the songs are long just for the sake of being long. I had hoped they would take out their swings a bit more. Still, many awesome riffs and a thoroughly enjoyable album.
30.07.2012 - 14:45
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I agree with the "taking too long to extend beyond that one riff or melody" aspect. One of my first impressions on this cd was precisely how sometimes it would drag, and how forced it sounds. But everything else is good.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
30.07.2012 - 20:53
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Liked their previous album because it had good hooks....this one is downright boring. Its one of those albums that passes by before you even know it and nothing memorable happens. Shit, I cant even think of one song on the new album as Im typing this.
30.07.2012 - 21:31
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't see the general "too long" or "dragging" problem tbh but I do understand why certain people would find some bits of In Mourning's music boring. But then again I think they do the prog bit very well. Now that Opeth is far away from that style, IM can be a good fix for people who enjoyed prog with extreme metal elements.

The rating seems about right
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.08.2012 - 05:53
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Risto on 30.07.2012 at 12:50

Quote:
The only drawback is the considerable tendency to fall back on repetition, perhaps taking too long to extend beyond that one riff or melody, at moments holding onto them more than necessary.

Could be I haven't heard enough melodeath but "generic tripe" is far from how I'd describe those drawn out bits. I can see why you hear filler material in this, I think so too, but that filler material for me is a great deal more impressive than other stuff out there.
Also when I say that they repeat themselves, it seems to be a negative thing at times, but on the other hand it adds to the music/feel of the album and whatnot at other times.
I don't think I could name a track which is more a culprit of that negative use of repetition than the others, simply because I think the album is very well balanced. Although.. maybe Voyage of a Wavering Mind? Seemed a bit boring in comparison to the rest, and not the strongest way to end the album.

Anyway there really wasn't a period of 7-8 minutes at which I felt "generic tripe" was slipping in, more like as I'm listening for, say, 10 seconds I'm thinking "Well yeah come on, get on with it".
04.08.2012 - 00:16
hadriel

This band has always been centered around building an amazing background atmosphere to their songs, layering it with sick hooks and making an original blend of melodeath/prog... the focus on building atmosphere is just sitting more at the forefront this time around. Seems like I'm one of the few, but the repitition is actually a welcomed change of pace for me. Really gives them some more space to build atmosphere, it fits with the themes they play with on the album, and the musicianship is pretty damn stellar..so all factors combined, it just kind of 'works' when I listen to it...something that I don't think would have quite the same impact if they had opted to cut some of the 'filler/repetitive' bits out.
04.01.2013 - 06:20
I like it allot but it needs more tempo variations. Monolith was a bit more successful of an album, for me.
15.04.2013 - 23:26
Stoned Crow

There is NO filler here.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
10.06.2013 - 00:54
Rating: 7
God of shadows

Just ordered this album, and waiting for it to be completely shipped. Seems that I won't be disappointed
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
01.11.2014 - 12:09
Rockfellas

This album is just PERFECT something espicial

Hits total: 5739 | This month: 7