Metal Storm logo
Career

30.07.2012 - 21:48
MetalSpider

Here's a topic that I have yet to see...then again, I haven't searched because I'm using the world slowest phone to post this thread.

How many of you are doing the career that you want to be doing? How many of you are like me and have yet to find the right career and struggling to do so?

I've studied quite a bit: Information Technology (which I didn't enjoy), Sound and Music Recording (which I loved but was unable to find a job or even get started on my own...and now don't think I care enough to try again), Accounting (which I really hated). I think I will end up going back to school, just not sure for what yet.

Right now I'm working in a job that has a potential for a career (whether its with the company I work with now or with a different company) however I'm not that interested in what I do. The best part of my job is driving, but there aren't many jobs out there that pay well for driving (none that I know of). It beats sitting in an office for sure, but my schedule and hours suck! If my job was monday to friday 8-5, weekends off, I'd be much happier. I maintain ATM's by the way.

However, on the flip side, I miss working with people. I work alone, driving from one site to the next, maintaing the machines. I guess that's where office jobs has its advantages.

Anyways, the whole point of this thread is to see if a lot of you are like me and struggling to find the right career and a job that you truly enjoy. And for those of you who do have the perfect career for you, how did you find it? Did you struggle or were you lucky or just happened to like what you studied in the beginning?

Sorry if this thread has already been made. Again, I'm using the slowest phone in the world to create this post.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
30.07.2012 - 23:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I don't think of myself as following a certain career at the moment, my current job (and the one before that) implied talking to foreign clients about things related to IT (but not programming or stuff like that). I do it in German, Spanish, English and sometimes Romanian. My current job is pretty good, the pay is quite good and quite above the average salary, I have at least 3-4 hours of "free time" especially during the summer, it's very flexible and I have time to go to the gym, spam facebook and post stuff on Metalstorm (yeah you guessed it, I'm at work now )

As career prospects outside of this whole business process outsourcing domain are, at least for me, pretty bleak I intend to follow on this path and become more and more engaged on training people and the human-resources part of the job (thus finally having a direction in which to go to).

Oh yeah and my degree is in Business Administration, a topic which I've grown to hate.
30.07.2012 - 23:52
BreadGod
Account deleted
I work as a janitor for several local businesses, but when I'm not cleaning, I work on my blog[/shamelesswhoring] in the hopes that with hard work and perseverance, I'll get a bunch of traffic and earn more money through ad revenue.
31.07.2012 - 01:09
MetalSpider

Written by Valentin B on 30.07.2012 at 23:07

I don't think of myself as following a certain career at the moment, my current job (and the one before that) implied talking to foreign clients about things related to IT (but not programming or stuff like that). I do it in German, Spanish, English and sometimes Romanian. My current job is pretty good, the pay is quite good and quite above the average salary, I have at least 3-4 hours of "free time" especially during the summer, it's very flexible and I have time to go to the gym, spam facebook and post stuff on Metalstorm (yeah you guessed it, I'm at work now )

As career prospects outside of this whole business process outsourcing domain are, at least for me, pretty bleak I intend to follow on this path and become more and more engaged on training people and the human-resources part of the job (thus finally having a direction in which to go to).

Oh yeah and my degree is in Business Administration, a topic which I've grown to hate.

So do you see yourself growing within the company that you're working (if there is a way to grow)? do you think your current job is something you could do for the rest of your life (if you didn't have much choice)...or not a chance in hell lol?

There are days where I get a lot of free time while working...it's nice. Right now I'm working 12-9 but I have no calls, so I'm just chilling at home

However, this isn't the kind of job I see myself doing for the rest of my life that's for sure (even though driving is so much fun). In fact I got this job through friends and took it only because I was struggling to find an office job for many months. And if I want to grow within my company, I would have to do training and in some cases take training courses or even go to school...and the end result is not really that much more money as far as I can work out (at least in my division). Also, I'm not all that interested in repairing machinery and all that.

My problem is I have no idea what to do next and I have no idea how to find out and even figure it out (that's what it feels like at least). I'm struggling to do so.
----

31.07.2012 - 03:26
Thrashette

I'm still a student with no idea where my life's going. I was studying engineering for about two years and hated it so much that I switched majors and schools. I'm now studying chemistry, which I like better... The idea of being in school until I'm like 30 so I can get a PhD doesn't particularly excite me though. I think the plan is to see where I can go with an undergrad degree and if I can't get anywhere, I'll go back for grad studies. As of right now, I'm in school part time (soon to be at just the minimum to qualify as a full time student) and also have a part time job helping kids at a math learning centre. Tutoring/teaching is the most fun job I've had, possibly something I'd consider for the future... And I sometimes make a bit of money doing simple sewing/knitting/crocheting tasks but that doesn't give me a significant profit (if any at all), and I really have no desire for it to become more than a hobby
31.07.2012 - 05:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 30.07.2012 at 23:52

, I work on my blog[/shamelesswhoring] in the hopes that with hard work and perseverance, I'll get a bunch of traffic and earn more money through ad revenue.

How does the ad money work? I've always wondered abot the ad revenue about blogs and stuff, I know my friend post COD gameplay and gets 50,000 views, and makes quite about of dough from it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2012 - 12:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by MetalSpider on 31.07.2012 at 01:09

So do you see yourself growing within the company that you're working (if there is a way to grow)? do you think your current job is something you could do for the rest of your life (if you didn't have much choice)...or not a chance in hell lol?

There are days where I get a lot of free time while working...it's nice. Right now I'm working 12-9 but I have no calls, so I'm just chilling at home

However, this isn't the kind of job I see myself doing for the rest of my life that's for sure (even though driving is so much fun). In fact I got this job through friends and took it only because I was struggling to find an office job for many months. And if I want to grow within my company, I would have to do training and in some cases take training courses or even go to school...and the end result is not really that much more money as far as I can work out (at least in my division). Also, I'm not all that interested in repairing machinery and all that.

My problem is I have no idea what to do next and I have no idea how to find out and even figure it out (that's what it feels like at least). I'm struggling to do so.

Well, there is a chance to grow inside this company, but it's not like promotions are given out left and right. I certainly would not see myself doing this for the rest of my life and I actually laugh at people (mostly younger students) who ask me "dude, wtf, are you going to do this for the rest of your life??" yeah bro, I'm so sad I'm not enjoying your unpaid internship sorting papers at your local McCorporate Towers or working my ass off all day for 300 euros at your "real" job. I've been at my current job for a year and 5 months already, but that certainly does not mean I intend to stay another 40 years there. I think no-one wants to do that unless they really love what they do, like artists or whatever.

There's been a lot of people leaving at work because of some tough cost-cutting decisions, the result of which is that they made our performance bonus ridiculously hard to reach, but then again being paid to do almost nothing for 3 days a week during summer is worth it in itself. Plus I can't leave right now as I have to take a long vacation and it would be pretty nice to actually have a place to work when coming back. If nothing changes for the better, I'll be leaving probably in November or something like that, at another one of the BPO companies like Oracle or HP.
31.07.2012 - 17:13
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 31.07.2012 at 05:17

, I work on my blog[/shamelesswhoring] in the hopes that with hard work and perseverance, I'll get a bunch of traffic and earn more money through ad revenue.

How does the ad money work? I've always wondered abot the ad revenue about blogs and stuff, I know my friend post COD gameplay and gets 50,000 views, and makes quite about of dough from it.

From what I can understand, you get more money when people click on the ads than when they just look at the ads. Unfortunately, the people who visit my blog are not the kind of people who click on ads. Of course, it takes a lot of time and effort to make a blog that lots of people will want to visit, so I'm still holding out.
31.07.2012 - 17:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 31.07.2012 at 17:13

Written by Boxcar Willy on 31.07.2012 at 05:17

From what I can understand, you get more money when people click on the ads than when they just look at the ads. Unfortunately, the people who visit my blog are not the kind of people who click on ads. Of course, it takes a lot of time and effort to make a blog that lots of people will want to visit, so I'm still holding out.

Well, maybe I'll head on over and click some ads
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2012 - 17:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm plannign on going to school after highschool for Mechanical Engineering, as I love designing and building things at home.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2012 - 17:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm on the right path when it comes to my career. At high school I studied behavioural science. After high school I worked for a year and a half, not really knowing what I wanted to be. So I thought about it. For three years I had studied the human mind, I figured I should work with humans then. My strongest subjects in school had always been Swedish and History. I've also always had great teachers who always supported me. So it became kinda clear: working with people, good at Swedish and History, great teachers. Why not be a teacher in those subjects myself?

So here I am today, been studying at the university for two and half years, halfway through. Last semester my grades mean value was A. Can't think of any other career which would suit me better (apart from rock star). Best of all, when I'm finished I'll only be 25 years old but with a teacher's license. Licensed to teach Swedish and History in junior high and high school.
----
31.07.2012 - 19:28
Chobo_jokeR

I originally started out in Education to be a physics teacher. I always liked helping kids in my class when it came to studying. I didn't actually have my first "Education" class until the second semester of my first year. After the very first class I realized there is no way I was going to last 4 or 5 years doing the BS journals and all the nonsense to actually finish my degree. Plus my college Physics professor actually made me despise the subject. Loved it in high school, hated it in post-secondary.

So, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to take a year off and work. I worked at Staples as a stock boy. That slowly drove me insane, so I looked for another job. I ended up working in the Laundry Department of the hospital in my city. This job was absolutely disgusting and awful. Terrible hours, and absenteeism was insane. I hate missing school or work, so I was the most faithful employee this place had. However, the other employees did not share that same value. There would be days where I'd be doing the work of two people, and this happened on a regular basis. Picking up 40 lbs bags of laundry from all over the hospital and hauling around 300 lbs carts of clean laundry to various floors. This QUICKLY made me realize I had to go back to school.

After my year at the hospital was up I went to school for a degree in Accounting. I completed my degree this year (at the end of April), with a cumulative GPA of 3.91 (out of 4). I wasn't sure what route I wanted to take, since in Canada there are various designations (CA, CMA, CGA) I spent several weeks mulling it over and decided on CA (Chartered Accountant). Now...the hard part. Finding a job. For most CA Articling student positions there would be 100 to 200 applicants. Luckily 2 job postings were up, one in my hometown and another where I went to University. Applied to both. I got the job with the one in my hometown. I start in September.

I'm not quite sure if this will be something I love and want to do for the rest of my life (since I haven't started yet), but I'm excited. If this isn't for me, I'll likely take a crack at Law school after I complete my CA.

Just curious, MetalSpider, what didn't you like about Accounting? I've been hating the fact that Canada is switching to IFRS...so we have to learn IFRS and ASPE, whereas the US just has US GAAP.
31.07.2012 - 22:06
Mattybu

I would never be a teacher, the educational system is like 0/10.

There's me on an average day on the job, should be clear what I do (I own these streets)...
01.08.2012 - 03:40
Thrashette

Written by Boxcar Willy on 31.07.2012 at 17:28

I'm plannign on going to school after highschool for Mechanical Engineering, as I love designing and building things at home.

My original major was similar to Mechanical Engineering. I hope you also love calculus and physics.

FYI, I changed my major twice and am hoping 3rd one's the charm
01.08.2012 - 03:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Thrashette on 01.08.2012 at 03:40

Written by Boxcar Willy on 31.07.2012 at 17:28

My original major was similar to Mechanical Engineering. I hope you also love calculus and physics.

I do sooooo much XD

Well, I like designing things, so hopefully it will be worth it.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.08.2012 - 04:20
MetalSpider

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 31.07.2012 at 19:28

I originally started out in Education to be a physics teacher. I always liked helping kids in my class when it came to studying. I didn't actually have my first "Education" class until the second semester of my first year. After the very first class I realized there is no way I was going to last 4 or 5 years doing the BS journals and all the nonsense to actually finish my degree. Plus my college Physics professor actually made me despise the subject. Loved it in high school, hated it in post-secondary.

So, not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to take a year off and work. I worked at Staples as a stock boy. That slowly drove me insane, so I looked for another job. I ended up working in the Laundry Department of the hospital in my city. This job was absolutely disgusting and awful. Terrible hours, and absenteeism was insane. I hate missing school or work, so I was the most faithful employee this place had. However, the other employees did not share that same value. There would be days where I'd be doing the work of two people, and this happened on a regular basis. Picking up 40 lbs bags of laundry from all over the hospital and hauling around 300 lbs carts of clean laundry to various floors. This QUICKLY made me realize I had to go back to school.

After my year at the hospital was up I went to school for a degree in Accounting. I completed my degree this year (at the end of April), with a cumulative GPA of 3.91 (out of 4). I wasn't sure what route I wanted to take, since in Canada there are various designations (CA, CMA, CGA) I spent several weeks mulling it over and decided on CA (Chartered Accountant). Now...the hard part. Finding a job. For most CA Articling student positions there would be 100 to 200 applicants. Luckily 2 job postings were up, one in my hometown and another where I went to University. Applied to both. I got the job with the one in my hometown. I start in September.

I'm not quite sure if this will be something I love and want to do for the rest of my life (since I haven't started yet), but I'm excited. If this isn't for me, I'll likely take a crack at Law school after I complete my CA.

Just curious, MetalSpider, what didn't you like about Accounting? I've been hating the fact that Canada is switching to IFRS...so we have to learn IFRS and ASPE, whereas the US just has US GAAP.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. I worked a lot of crappy jobs, though not as bad as you it would seem lol.

I only took accounting under my dad's advice (he told me it's easy and there's a lot of jobs so I said why the fuck not). I found it to be an extremely boring and dry subject. I went to college for accounting. The teachers weren't the greatest. They never made it interesting enough for me to care. Teachers aside, I just didn't enjoy the subject. I would struggle just to study...whether it was alone or with my best friend (she also hated the accounting so that didn't help). And there's all these rules that I just couldn't remember for the life of me lol (GAAP...I think I started learning a bit of IFRS, but Im not even sure). I do have a diploma in Accounting but I don't think I would ever work in Accounting, although they say when you work in Accounting (at least computer based), it's much easier than learning it from a book.

The thing is I also studied accounting right after studying sound and music recording, which was the most fun I've ever had at school (recording bands, recording sound for movie clips etc.)...so that made it really tough for me to enjoy accounting. I suppose if it was taught in a better way, I might have enjoyed it a bit more, but even than I'm not so sure.
----

01.08.2012 - 05:23
Chobo_jokeR

Written by MetalSpider on 01.08.2012 at 04:20

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. I worked a lot of crappy jobs, though not as bad as you it would seem lol.

I only took accounting under my dad's advice (he told me it's easy and there's a lot of jobs so I said why the fuck not). I found it to be an extremely boring and dry subject. I went to college for accounting. The teachers weren't the greatest. They never made it interesting enough for me to care. Teachers aside, I just didn't enjoy the subject. I would struggle just to study...whether it was alone or with my best friend (she also hated the accounting so that didn't help). And there's all these rules that I just couldn't remember for the life of me lol (GAAP...I think I started learning a bit of IFRS, but Im not even sure). I do have a diploma in Accounting but I don't think I would ever work in Accounting, although they say when you work in Accounting (at least computer based), it's much easier than learning it from a book.

The thing is I also studied accounting right after studying sound and music recording, which was the most fun I've ever had at school (recording bands, recording sound for movie clips etc.)...so that made it really tough for me to enjoy accounting. I suppose if it was taught in a better way, I might have enjoyed it a bit more, but even than I'm not so sure.

Yeah Accounting is definitely a love it or hate it type thing. I read all my textbooks (except for Accounting Theory - that book was the devil), and most of it was fine. I'm eager to put the knowledge to use, but from what I've heard the stuff you learn and the methods of doing it, just isn't how people actually do it in the work force.

Finance might have been a better choice than Accounting for you, I've heard it is far more interesting. A friend of mine completed his Accounting degree, but despised it, so he decided to also major in Finance (only needed 5 more classes or something). He loved Finance. I took a couple of Finance classes, it definitely interesting. Global Finance was one of my favourite classes, and it ended up being more applicable to daily life than any of my accounting classes.

I got lucky with Accounting, it's pretty difficult to decide on what you want to do for the next 40 years when you're in your 20s.
01.08.2012 - 05:58
MetalSpider

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 01.08.2012 at 05:23

Written by MetalSpider on 01.08.2012 at 04:20

Yeah Accounting is definitely a love it or hate it type thing. I read all my textbooks (except for Accounting Theory - that book was the devil), and most of it was fine. I'm eager to put the knowledge to use, but from what I've heard the stuff you learn and the methods of doing it, just isn't how people actually do it in the work force.

Finance might have been a better choice than Accounting for you, I've heard it is far more interesting. A friend of mine completed his Accounting degree, but despised it, so he decided to also major in Finance (only needed 5 more classes or something). He loved Finance. I took a couple of Finance classes, it definitely interesting. Global Finance was one of my favourite classes, and it ended up being more applicable to daily life than any of my accounting classes.

I got lucky with Accounting, it's pretty difficult to decide on what you want to do for the next 40 years when you're in your 20s.

I took a Finance course or two while studying accounting...it was alright lol. Marketing was interesting and I did well in the class that I took, but I didn't see it as a career for me at the time. I might take a look at Marketing again. I'd love to do something with cars, but I'm not sure what...I'm still looking at more options.

What made you decide to take Accounting? I noticed in your post, you never mentioned what made you choose it. Was it something that always interested you? or were you just exploring options, found accounting, gave it a try and enjoyed it enough to stick with it?
----

01.08.2012 - 07:19
Chobo_jokeR

Written by MetalSpider on 01.08.2012 at 05:58

I took a Finance course or two while studying accounting...it was alright lol. Marketing was interesting and I did well in the class that I took, but I didn't see it as a career for me at the time. I might take a look at Marketing again. I'd love to do something with cars, but I'm not sure what...I'm still looking at more options.

What made you decide to take Accounting? I noticed in your post, you never mentioned what made you choose it. Was it something that always interested you? or were you just exploring options, found accounting, gave it a try and enjoyed it enough to stick with it?

In high school all the career tests I took said either Accountant or Lawyer, so I decided to give Accounting a whirl. After the introductory courses I started to see that Accounting is far more than the bookkeeping aspect. The higher level classes were far more interesting than the "this is a debit" or "this is a credit" stuff. A class that I took in my last semester was a case analysis class for Management Accounting, where we examined various cases and offered recommendations based on our cumulative knowledge we acquired from over the course of our degree. It was done in groups and we had to present the subject matter and our findings to the class ... in a minimum 45 minute presentation (4 presentations per group throughout the semester). Never put so much effort into a class before. It was classes like this one that made me really feel good about the choice I made.

I could say I was lucky to find Accounting, because if that didn't work, I'm not quite sure what I would have done next.
01.08.2012 - 08:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I'd my Masters in International Marketing and Strategy Pathway. It's an interesting field of marketing where you force to chalk it down an innovative strategies or tactics to sabotage your rival's international marketing strategies. Although it deals with a simple office work, but this career needs lot of travelling. Overall, not an easy task if it comes to down pull your socks up. Anyone wanna go for this career can seek my help( ONLY IF YOU REALLY WANT TO!) regarding what's their innit or anything related to Int. Marketing query. Otherwise, rape google and extract out the information.
01.08.2012 - 13:59
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I should work IT and tech support. "Yes, what seems to be the problem sir? Can I be helping you"

Anyways I've never really known what I wanted to do for a career. Things just seem to happen for me
I did want to do game design/game journalism or sound engineering/sound design when I was in school, but that never took off.
I did my engineering, which was a last minute decision, I did my mechanical engineering since that was what I liked the most from all the courses.

So after my engineering I slacked off for almost a year, doing nothing and just chilling. I then started working for a company that manufactures valves and I work technical sales for the Europe region. It's quite alright, not something I enjoy, nor is it something I despise. I've got quite a chilled out team and boss, so no real complains.

Apart from that I run two companies with some friends, both are into event services.
One company organises sludge/stoner and thrash/death concerts, pretty much music we dig We're doing our annual fest the end of december.
The other company is a booking agency/event services for promoters here to book international/local metal/rock acts for their events.

With the first one we do the entire event ourselves, with the other company we just work booking, we also take up creative's, designs and complete coverage of the event, pretty much photography, we also provide legal and event advice
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
01.08.2012 - 16:09
helofloki

I've got a 40 hour a week job (that I like), but I'm also in a band and write in my free time. In a way I'm definitely following my dreams. I mean, even if I started making money in either of these endeavors I would not quit my job. They are the kind of things you hope to do well with but will never actually make any money. I do take both writing and the band very seriously, but at this point I'm happy to support myself and have health insurance through my job. I'm old enough to understand what is realistic and just stuffing my dreams in where I can. I'm actually pretty happy where I am right now to be honest, it's a good balance.
03.08.2012 - 07:40
FOOCK Nam

I work as a janitor for several local businesses

I had been in US for Disney World custodial job which is similar to janitor. I love the job and American working discipline, it would pays more well if I'm permanent worker. I hate how here Vietnamese is very discriminated on the job work, type or even position. Wish someday I would come back there and do the manual labor jobs but not less interesting and also good of the difficult level custodial/janitor is.
09.08.2012 - 14:46
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
I dropped out of engineering a year ago... i hated it. I am looking for a job to make my dream of becoming a professional cyclist come true. So no career for this motherfucker.
09.08.2012 - 15:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Thrashette on 01.08.2012 at 03:40

Man I dig Calculus a lot but there's still a fat chance I'm going to change my choice and quit math... gonna see how this year turns out though. I'm still going to make the best of it but if I'm still feeling meh about it regardless of how I'm doing... i gotta do something about it. The problem is that I don't know what I want to do since I'm interested in a whole bunch of different things and I have the grades and stuff to actually change to anything I feel like it (except medicine, I'm not THAT good)...

I never thought I was going to say this but... It sucks to have so many big interests and that my grades allow me to change without too much problem. No clue what to do atm so I'm just going to continue with math.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.08.2012 - 16:53
IronAngel

I'm a University person. Can't imagine leaving that place altogether. After my master's thesis I'll stay to get my doctorate, then I'll probably either stay to teach and research in the Uni and maybe get some funding from the Academy of Finland for a project or two. Being a researcher basically means applying for new funding every few years, but I can't imagine anything I would love more.

Might get into science and education politics, at some point. You know, preparing some stuff for the Board or Ministry of Education. Or maybe an administrative career in the University of Helsinki. Or possibly just become a teacher. Or if it turns out I'm not as divinely inspired and brilliant as I think I am, unemployment. We'll see.

Medieval studies ftw. Theology, history and philosophy in the same package.
09.08.2012 - 16:58
Thrashette

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.08.2012 at 15:06

Man I dig Calculus a lot but there's still a fat chance I'm going to change my choice and quit math... gonna see how this year turns out though. I'm still going to make the best of it but if I'm still feeling meh about it regardless of how I'm doing... i gotta do something about it. The problem is that I don't know what I want to do since I'm interested in a whole bunch of different things and I have the grades and stuff to actually change to anything I feel like it (except medicine, I'm not THAT good)...

I never thought I was going to say this but... It sucks to have so many big interests and that my grades allow me to change without too much problem. No clue what to do atm so I'm just going to continue with math.

I know that feel bro... High enough grades to study pretty much anything but no idea about longterm career goals, and a wide variety of interests but not particularly passionate enough about anything for it to be obvious what to study. I'm sticking with Chemistry, but still have to deal with deciding what specific branch of Chemistry I want to go into, which is where I have no idea. It's my favourite subject, but I still have trouble staying motivated sometimes and can't say I like school...
13.08.2012 - 18:40
MetalSpider

Written by MetallicA on 13.08.2012 at 16:19

I got my bachelor's in geography back in 2009. Went to a community college for 2 years after that to take math and physics classes while working at an arts and crafts store. I then went to grad school for a year for meteorology (which is what I'm really interested in). I had to cut grad school short because I got selected to be an officer for the U.S. Air Force. I got less than 3 weeks till I'm done with officer training school! This has been a hellish summer, that's for sure but it will be worth it in the end. I definitely plan on finishing my master's within the next 5 years though. I'd finish sooner but I'm gonna be in training for my job for the next year and a half. I'm going to be a navigator...hopefully for the F-15E because that would be fucking awesome! And when I get my master's, I may cross-train and do meteorology for the AF. We'll see. All I know, I like where I'm going in life

That's awesome. One of my best friend's dad and uncles were all in the US Airforce once upon a time.
----

17.08.2012 - 18:54
Yellax

The economy right now is in the crapper. I am rather lucky that I have a job. I spent my twenties doing nothing but partying, being in drugged out bands here and there, drinking heavily and trying to get a career with a degree that is totally useless. I have a BA Cum Laude in Professional Writing.

I have been playing the piano ever since I can't even remember and over the years, I have picked up almost every single other instrument. I guess I'm not doing what I want either as a career because all I want to do is be the front man of a progressive metal band. Right now I am the Senior Account Manager of a company that produces tactical headsets; not a bad gig.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.