N/A

58 users:
Band: Blut Aus Nord
Album: What Once Was... Liber II
Style: Industrial black metal
Release date: July 2012

01. I
02. II

In recent months the focus of Blut Aus Nord's fanbase and outpouring of news has clearly been on the impending final part of the 777 trilogy, Cosmosophy. Even had that not been the case the most ardent fan could have quite easily let this slip by without notice; there was nary a sight nor sound from the label concerning this vinyl-only EP, perhaps at best one Facebook update shortly before its release. Maybe that was Debemur Mortii's plan from the outset; to keep an air of mystery surrounding it. After all, this kind of thing isn't made for more than a smattering of weirdos and audiophiles.

If there's something that has never sat quite right with me concerning the lauded 777 series (thus far) it would have to be shift in tone and sound from previous works to a more in-your-face, sterile design, resulting in a somewhat artificial flavour. No question on its ability to contort songwriting concepts beyond anyone's ken, but the delivery somewhat hampered the overall effect and impact. With that in mind it's truly difficult to overstate the perfect balance and poise of Liber II. Whilst similar to Liber I's violent and primitive nature, this not only expands on it songwriting wise, introducing atmospheric and contemplative moments, most notably the memorable exits of both sides of the vinyl to an exceptional degree (particularly as it manages to do so within the 29 minute span of the record) but the encapsulating production and tone are second to none in the band's discog. This is dissonant music in 3D. Not your gimmicky 3D you'll see at any bloated summer blockbuster, but 3 dimensions of organic depth, destruction and atmosphere. Every note, every sound is audible and available for experience.

For many, Cosmosophy was seemingly odds on to win this year's album of the year with no apparent opposition, but like last year they're once again competing with themselves for the top spot, and no one would begrudge you for placing your bets on this.

Fuck the Olympics. The real game is here: getting through this with your sanity intact.

Written by | 01.08.2012

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 271 users
01.08.2012 - 19:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I still have no problems with Sect(s) (you didn't mention it here but you have in many other places)... I just love the artificial sound and tone on the 777 albums because that's how it's supposed to sound anyway... Artificial.

But back to this album and review. Great review and words as usual! and damn, the EP is fantastic I always love bands that comete with themselves, that's the key.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.08.2012 - 19:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.08.2012 at 19:26

I still have no problems with Sect(s) (you didn't mention it here but you have in many other places)... I just love the artificial sound and tone on the 777 albums because that's how it's supposed to sound anyway... Artificial.

But back to this album and review. Great review and words as usual! and damn, the EP is fantastic I always love bands that comete with themselves, that's the key.

Cheers! Actually this was a staff pick but I deleted it when I realised it was over halfway to the minimum review length.

Yeah, I can't really put my finger on what it is with the "sound" as such, but to me this just sounds so much deeper and grimier..

This EP goes someway in recapturing that tone somewhat (despite the different style). The 777's have too much of a kind EBM/Electro-industrial/Fear Factory etc. kind of "industrial" whereas this and TEoAM has a more unique sound that doesn't sound like anything else. Kind of like girders falling in an apocalyptic city. More analogue, less digital.
01.08.2012 - 19:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.08.2012 at 19:31
The 777's have too much of a kind EBM/Electro-industrial/Fear Factory etc. kind of "industrial"

Woah dude that's offensive but still.. It might sound like that because (and this is a wild guess!): They are pretty much Industrial/black, right?!

I know this is speculation but I'm still pretty sure it wouldn't sound as good if the tone of the guitars was "grimmer". It wouldn't work for the songwriting.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.08.2012 - 19:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.08.2012 at 19:38

Woah dude that's offensive but still.. It might sound like that because (and this is a wild guess!): They are pretty much Industrial/black, right?!

I know this is speculation but I'm still pretty sure it wouldn't sound as good if the tone of the guitars was "grimmer". It wouldn't work for the songwriting.

Well it worked pretty well for The Work Which Transforms God =P

I just wish the sound could be a bit deeper on the 777's.
01.08.2012 - 19:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.08.2012 at 19:41
Well it worked pretty well for The Work Which Transforms God =P

Not applicable if you ask me. While there are some similarities, the songwriting and "style" is still pretty different.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.08.2012 - 19:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.08.2012 at 19:42

Not applicable if you ask me. While there are some similarities, the songwriting is still pretty different.

It's not a huge complaint at the end of the day, I just think they could benefit with a slightly less shiny production.
02.08.2012 - 00:51
Slayer666

OK, they don't even need to release Cosmosophy this year, this EP is more than enough of a BaN fix to last me throughout the year.
02.08.2012 - 01:57
malaikat

I just wanted to say how much I love "Blut aus Nord". If black metal has but one purpose, it is to let BuT operate withing its context. /mushy
02.08.2012 - 02:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 02.08.2012 at 01:57

I just wanted to say how much I love "Blut aus Nord". If black metal has but one purpose, it is to let BuT operate withing its context. /mushy

This (even despite its cheesiness)
02.08.2012 - 02:11
malaikat

Damn, BaN. Not BuT. WTF, brain. Now I'm embarassed. Cheesiness definitely destroys brain cells
02.08.2012 - 02:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 02.08.2012 at 02:11

Damn, BaN. Not BuT. WTF, brain. Now I'm embarassed. Cheesiness definitely destroys brain cells

I thought you were making some kind of visual pun there or something o.O
02.08.2012 - 02:27
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Would it be at all possible for the entire trilogy to win album of the year? Since they're all called "Epitome" I, II, etc? Or does it have to be one album with all of its tracks released on one disc?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.08.2012 - 02:27
malaikat

Written by Guest on 02.08.2012 at 02:12

I thought you were making some kind of visual pun there or something o.O

Why... Yes, yes I was. How, err, observant of you. *cough*
02.08.2012 - 02:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeChron James on 02.08.2012 at 02:27

Would it be at all possible for the entire trilogy to win album of the year? Since they're all called "Epitome" I, II, etc? Or does it have to be one album with all of its tracks released on one disc?

Well technically Deathspell's SMRC, FAS and Paracletus are a trilogy but I doubt anyone could justify them being considered for one year's awards

It is a shame BaN didn't get them out all in a year though, probably would have topped a lot of charts for pure achievement alone.
02.08.2012 - 02:41
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Guest on 02.08.2012 at 02:33

Well technically Deathspell's SMRC, FAS and Paracletus are a trilogy but I doubt anyone could justify them being considered for one year's awards

It is a shame BaN didn't get them out all in a year though, probably would have topped a lot of charts for pure achievement alone.

Yeah, if they did get all 3 of those albums out in a year, that'd be an amazing achievement. I still think it's amazing solely on the grounds of them releasing a pair of killer albums with a very short amount of time in between. By comparison it took Deathspell 6 years to release their trilogy hahaha.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.08.2012 - 15:14
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Wow, so excited to hear this EP now lol
----
loves 小巫
08.08.2012 - 00:12
Rating: 9
Oaken
Hipster
Not an easy listen.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
08.08.2012 - 01:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Oaken on 08.08.2012 at 00:12

Not an easy listen.

Really? I loved this, and I'm not even a big fan of BaN.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2012 - 01:48
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 01:17

Not an easy listen.

I love it too, but there's a lot of stuff going on simultaneously. Also the production caught me off guard. I thought it was going to be like the 777 albums.
----
08.08.2012 - 17:19
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.08.2012 at 01:17

Not an easy listen.

After about 5 listens, I don't think it was that difficult to get into. The production was a slap in the face, but I got accustomed to it. Now about the music; The riffs are amazing and fast as they bludgeon their way across the album. I liked the grimier vibe and the darker textures. This is as monolithic as the 777 albums.
----
11.08.2012 - 00:02
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Really great release I think. Blut aus nord always has great build ups and some of the best high points (zeniths)? in their music, the last half of the second song is like that for me. The two tracks could have been 4 with those ambient breaks around the middle of both songs.... or maybe 6! with the ambience separated into their own separate tracks cuz what's a Blut Aus Nord LP/EP without ambient tension.
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 7861 | This month: 11