Largest Disapointment:
Slayer - Christ Illusion

Top 5 currently of 2006 for me:
I - Between Two Worlds
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium
Beyond Twilight - for the love of art and the making
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Kalmah - The Black Waltz

Edit: I added as to why I picked these choices, after wrathchild bugged me about it:

Personally, I felt that slayer could have done much better. I mean david lombardo came back, thats great. Every review I read about Christ Illusion they all mentioned how Supermist, Catalyst, Skeleton Christ stood out from the rest of the songs. As much as I agree with the reviews, I have to say that Lombardo's other project Grip Inc. has 3 songs that exactly sound the same as those 3 I just mentioned, to the T. I had a fight about this on the Slayer forums and when people noticed the similarities they were appauld by it. Don't ask me to mention the 3 Grip Inc. songs...its 1 AM right now, and i was drinking.

As for kalmah...its catchy...I can listen to it from beginning to end without getting bored. Same goes for I, both bands don't bore me even after I listen to it in my car for days upon days. That and kalmah finally moved away from the Children of Bodom copy-cat music, which I have to give them props and thats why they deserved to be mentioned. As for I, because as i said not boring, I like the tunes, its dark, yet catch music.

Beyond the Twilight - The reason I like it...is because well no particular reason, maybe its the fact that when I listen to it none stop, the music always shocks me, its so well constructed by lyrically and musicially that I always find something new with it.

Unexpect - Probably my pick as being the best album of the year, I dont get bored, its different, its catchy, but yet dark and sinnister at the same time, which is hard...I truely love the album.

I was gonna put Suffocation on that list, but this album is a grower, which doesn't make it #1 for me, its a great album but it just doesnt hit me...not until i actually listen to it a few times.

i obviously left a lot of bands out, NOISM, Cruachan, Ministry, Neuropathia, Pyorrhoea are all great bands that released an album in 2006, but they are tedious in a way that they will get boring and old after my 100th listen, and i listen to music constantly so everything gets boring after a while.
05.01.2007 - 20:36
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Hehe, I love it when you don't say it has to be metal tho

1) Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Now this album just has it going, I actually find it very weird that it is actually hated among Muse fans. However, it's the best album in 2006 for me; amazing rock album full of romanticism, it gets really personal from time to time and the vocals just send shivers down my spine. If there wasn't for the Soldier Song I would have given this album 10/10, because songs just flow one to another, the melodies are strong and the vocal is so piercing and amazing.

2) Moonspell - Memorial

I have been a fan of Moonspell for years now and they gave me back the faith with this album. As their previous 2 released before Memorial were going into more soft rhythms, Memorial now stoods out as an organic, raw and orgasmic album that makes Moonspell shine again. The mixture of black, gothic, doom/death infuelnces in a way only Moonspell can do it.

3) Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Actually, I was never really a die hard fan of Amon Amarth till this record came out. Now after seeing them live I was probably headbanging the most when the whole crowd went wild with Death In Fire. Anyway, this album offers a journey through viking metal and Under The Northern Star is IMO the best song Amon Amarth has ever done; again the rawness embraced with melodic guitars is what got me in this album.

4) Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

I guess Deftones is one of those bands that are hard to digest, you really need to dig them to like them. Fortunately, I do. They kicked hard with a new record, hard, sharp-edged, Deftones. Hole In The Earth is the best intro song I have ever heard and damn that I am willing to starve (of give up smoking!) to get together that 95EU to see them rock live!

5) The Gathering - Home

My fave band out of this five indeed. Home is a solid rock album, a great The Gathering album and one hell of a journey through consciousness. When I listen to Your Troubles Are Over I really feel secure and careless; the entire album is just what The Gathering ever meant to me; I never really focused whether the melodies were simplistic and minimalistic or complex, it's the ambient they create and it takes away just about everything. Anneke then again is a woman I cannot look through; a voice I cannot get enough of and that just soothens me. And Your Trobules Are Over is a hymn of mine that has helped me to get through a lot of garbage in the past six monts... Because my head (is) in clouds and my feet firmly on the ground with the Gathering.

Other albums that impressed me as well: Audioslave - Revelations, Borknagar - Origin, Mnemic - Passenger, Killswith Engage - As Daylight Dies, Theatre of Tragedy - Storm, Lostprophets - Liberation Transmission, Lacuna Coil - Karmacode

The disappointment: Leaves Eyes - Legend Land. I used to love Leaves Eyes, but I'm just losing them... Seriously, I rarely (=never!) lose an interest of a band, but this was just too much. We all know guys from Atrocity got it going on (had it going on?) and so does (did?) miss. Espaenes Krull, but Legend Land is to me a funeral song for Leaves Eyes. Dull, lifeless, repetitive... Oh crap...
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
06.01.2007 - 12:21
matthioso

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
a masterpiece when it comes to melodic death metal

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage
inhuman speed

Raise Hell - City Of The Damned
great black thrash metal

In Flames - Come Clarity
not the best album they ever made, but still a good album

Vader - Impressions In Blood
magnificent brutal death metal as it should be
----
www.seedofrock.be
07.01.2007 - 01:43
Kurzag
Account deleted
1. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
This release became my favourite album. Agalloch manage to mix folklore togheter with melancholic metal, which cames out as a beautiful piece of art.

2. Carpathian Forest - Fuck You All!!!!
Awsome production, awsome vocals by Nattefrost, a catchy and filthy album from hell.

3. Ajattara - Äpäre
They follows the same road as before and creates a dark and heavy album. Catchy riffs and cool vocals by Ruoja aka Pasi Koskinen.

4. Ljå - Til Avasky For Livet
They say that they play necro melodic BM and sure they do. One of the best underground BM bands from Norway.

5. Koldbrann - Moribund
IMO is this band together with Ljå is this band also one of the best bands from Norway. I ilke their raw and filthy sound, also the lyrics are quite good.

Largest disapointment:
Secht - s/t
After reading that this project from Dirge Rep(ex-Enslaved, Gorgoroth) and Vrangsinn (Carpathian Forest) will feature guest vocals from Gaahl, Nocturno Culto, Hoest, Nattefrost and some more from the Norwegian BM scene I thought this would be something intersting. But no. This is just some piece of shit. The release contains only one 37 min. long track, which is some of the most boring songs I ever heard.
07.01.2007 - 02:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AnGina-- on 05.01.2007 at 20:36

Hehe, I love it when you don't say it has to be metal tho

3) Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Actually, I was never really a die hard fan of Amon Amarth till this record came out. Now after seeing them live I was probably headbanging the most when the whole crowd went wild with Death In Fire. Anyway, this album offers a journey through viking metal and Under The Northern Star is IMO the best song Amon Amarth has ever done; again the rawness embraced with melodic guitars is what got me in this album.

OMG I forgot mention this band, in all tops what I make, i didnt mention it
Its good album IMO best og Amon Amarth and amazing, I live it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.01.2007 - 08:37
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...best bands i dont know...but the largest disappointment was dt's octavarium....so sad...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
10.01.2007 - 23:50
ReckoningWinter

Written by nana.MD on 10.01.2007 at 08:37

hmm...best bands i dont know...but the largest disappointment was dt's octavarium....so sad...

That's from 2005 lol.

Well, another great album from 2006 was Diablo Swing Orchestra's debut, The Butcher's Ballroom.
11.01.2007 - 06:46
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by ReckoningWinter on 10.01.2007 at 23:50

Written by nana.MD on 10.01.2007 at 08:37

That's from 2005 lol.

Well, another great album from 2006 was Diablo Swing Orchestra's debut, The Butcher's Ballroom.

...lol u r right...my mistake
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
11.01.2007 - 07:38
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
The best album of 2006 that I have heard was... hmm it was a difficult year... But
1.Tystnaden - Sham of Perfection (For a debut album and for an album in general this was so brilliant, Musically they are very tight, The vocals of Laura De Luca are brilliant. IMO they are the best debut band of 2006, and probably of the last few years. Every song is different sounding, every riff is enjoyable, The growels work well with Laura's Erratic and powerful voice... An no she isn't an Opera singer like most female fronted bands these days.)
2.Ihashn - The Adverary (I was so impressed with Ihashn's solo album, that I now consider him amongst the best guitar players in the business.)
3.My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings (At first I was a little disappointed but, it became apparent after hearing it several times just how good this album was lyrically and musically.)
4.Edenbridge - The Grand Design (This has become my new favorite EB album, I loved the more symphonic sound on this album.)
5.Tool - 10000 days (I know alot of people hated this album... But I loved it, Its progressive and melodic, and lyrically brilliant.)
11.01.2007 - 07:42
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Oh sorry forgot to add my biggest disappointment. Well I actually had three
1.Evanescence - The Open Door (It just plain sucked)
2.Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (This album had its up sides, Our Truth I enjoyed, and the cover of Enjoy the Silence, but in all it was very disappointing.)
3.Slayer - Christ Illusion (Jihad, Cult, and Christ Illusion were the only songs i enjoyed on this album the rest was quite broken with pourly written vocal melodies and very stock riffs.)
14.01.2007 - 09:46
Susan
Smeghead
1. Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth
I knew right away this would be my album of the year and of course it is. For my ear it's their best yet; please don't stone me to death

2. Benedictum - Uncreation
Best new band of the year. Benedictum plays straight-up aggressive, epic, melodic heavy metal. While they released a very energetic debut here they play like seasoned professionals. This album isn't good "for a debut" it's just good period.

3. The Gathering - Home
While they don't play metal anymore then sure keep the spirit and intensity of metal alive in their music. Probably my favourite album of theirs after Souvenirs.

4. Vanden Plas - Christ.0
One of the best "prog" albums I've heard in years! Immediately enjoyable and engaging. The emotion just melts out of my speakers and into my ears and heart. God these boys have talent.

Those are the masterpieces of the year. Some NEAR masterpieces are:

Suidakra- Caledonia
Angtoria - God Has a Plan for Us All
Dream Evil - United
XIV Dark Centuries - Skithingi
... oh I just listed all my favs in my profile text

Biggest Disappointments:

Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse
I have ranted about this album too much. I'll sum it up by saying "boring and common."

Elvenking - The Winter Wake
This album isn't bad but I was personally disappointed by it. Another boring release
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.01.2007 - 10:59
Freezer

Probably Tool's 10.000 days is my favourite from this year, then Origin by Borknagar, A twist in the Myth (but it's not in the same league of BG's 90s albums), Ashes against the grain and then, well, there have been a lot of good discs in 2006, i'll say Aurora Consurgens
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
15.01.2007 - 03:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 14.01.2007 at 09:46

2. Benedictum - Uncreation
Best new band of the year. Benedictum plays straight-up aggressive, epic, melodic heavy metal. While they released a very energetic debut here they play like seasoned professionals. This album isn't good "for a debut" it's just good period.
Those are the masterpieces of the year. Some NEAR masterpieces are:

Suidakra- Caledonia
Angtoria - God Has a Plan for Us All
Dream Evil - United
XIV Dark Centuries - Skithingi
... oh I just listed all my favs in my profile text

Biggest Disappointments:

I have ranted about this album too much. I'll sum it up by saying "boring and common."

Elvenking - The Winter Wake
This album isn't bad but I was personally disappointed by it. Another boring release

Benedictium its same us Benediction, death metal(od school) band from UK? dididnt know thay exist or I mix something

XIV Dark Centuries IMO its werry good album, even i had hear it once thank's to Prom, but I love it about others agree and hanwt hear BG album

@Freezer - BG wont play speed metyal anymore like first 2 albums, ist legacy and ist past even how sad ist be
----

apos;'
[image]
15.01.2007 - 04:02
Susan
Smeghead
@K7, No Benedictum is a new band from the US who plays heavy metal. There must be another band by the same name!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
15.01.2007 - 04:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 15.01.2007 at 04:02

@K7, No Benedictum is a new band from the US who plays heavy metal. There must be another band by the same name!

I mean Benediction its old school death metal I was 2 tapes of them, but since MA are down I cant send links, because there was some whit mp3 but I dunno Benedictium are thay good, any free mp3 soemwhere in net?

@All I post my disapointments in morning
But some of them are in DOOM tread and BM tread(what open Southern Wind)
----

apos;'
[image]
15.01.2007 - 04:12
Susan
Smeghead
@K7. Yes! Benedictum have a myspace page with 3 songs from their amazing album:

http://www.myspace.com/benedictum

Of course the best songs aren't available but the 3 that are up are pretty representative of their style and skill. "Wicca" is probably my fav of those. I hope you like it!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
16.01.2007 - 03:58
Dan066
Account deleted
I really enjoyed Tool's "10,000 Days", Mastodon's "Blood Mountain," and Iron Maidens "AMOLAD". There are a lot more, but I forgot if some came out in 2006 or 2005...
16.01.2007 - 19:57
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I must say that 2006 was a mediocre year when it comes to good metal albums in general.. could be a much better year. Anyway, here's my top 5 (in no particular order):

Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth
Outworld - Outworld
Moonspell - Memorial
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Before The Bleeding Sun

Other good 2006 albums:

Draconian - The Burning Halo
Firewind - Allegiance
Vanden Plas - Christ 0
Angra - Aurora Consurgens
Angtoria - God Has a Plan For Us All
Elis - Griefshire
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode
Norther - Till Death Us Unites
Slayer - Christ Illusion
Unearth - III: In The Eyes Of Fire
Lamb of God - Sacrament
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
To-Mera - Transcendental

Largest disappointment:

Cradle of Filth - Thornography
Into Eternity - The Scattering Of Ashes
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
17.01.2007 - 07:40
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
This year i was shocked by:
Putrid Pile - Collection of Butchery
Abysmal Torment - Epoch Of Methodic Carnage
Skinless - Trample the Weak Hurdle the Dead
Devourment - Butcher The Weak

Largest Dissapoint ment:

The new slayer album, the new Maiden album.
17.02.2007 - 09:06
Danny Thomas

The 5 albums i thought were a success in 2006

Blind Guardian- A Twist in the Myth
probably ranks in the top 3 of my favorite guardian albums

Amon Amarth- With Oden on Our Side
i was blown away the first time i heard this album. it seemed to have something new that i couldnt put my finger on, but its now my favorite Amon Amarth album

Trivium- The Crusade
i always liked trivium's music, but was never fond of the vocal style, it seemed to generic and kinda got on my nerves. but with this new album, heafy completely switches up his vocal style and damnit does it work. almost reminds me of old metallica at times.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow- Before the Bleeding Sun
i am a huge fan of Etos, chaotic beauty being my favorite, so i was very excited about the band getting back together and making a new album. and thank Odin, i wasn't disapointed at all. not a bad song on the cd imo

Norther- Till Death Unites Us
although not as good as dreams of endless war(mine and almost any norther fans favorite album of northers) it was a huge step in the right direction from a disapointing Death Unlimited, which seemed uninspired. i like the use of clean vocals on omen as well

as an honorable mention i would like to state that Zyklon's "Disintegrate" was an improvement from the previous album "Aeon", although not as good as "world ov worms".

the disapointments

In Flames- Come Clarity
i, like most true in flames fans, am a fan of their older stuff(pre reroute to remain) and i heard news that this new come clarity was going to be a return to their old style, and would be much better than soundtrack to your escape. i couldnt disagree more. this is their worst by far. there are only a few songs i can bare to listen to. mind you, they do have some catchy chorus' but the lyrics, i would almost go as far to say are emo. and what the hell happend to the concept of a solo? blahhhhhhh

Kalmah- The Black Waltz
i listen to swamplord, they will return, and swampsong almost every day, they are some of my favorite albums of all time, but this new album just didnt cut it for me. i do like the fact that they are trying to make some variation in their music, but i was overall disapointed in this. there were no standout tracks like "heroes to us" or "Hades" it wasnt a bad album, just not as good as what i was hoping for.

and on a side note, although Christ Illusion isnt slayers best, i actually found it enjoyable. it seems msot people on here found it to be disapointing
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
17.02.2007 - 18:25
Vanwarp

OK, lets start with a few Honorable Mentions:

Tool - 10,000 Days

10,000 Days is a very well rounded disc with a good mix of straightforward tracks like "Vicarious", "Jambi", "The Pot", "Rosetta Stoned" and the more lengthier progressive experimental tracks such as " 10,000 Days ", "Right In Two" and lets not forget the soft atmospheric experimental moments of "Wings For Marie Pt 1", "Lipan Conjuring", "Lost Keys", "Intension" and "Viginti Tres."

When you consider that some of the longer tracks also include soft atmospheric experimental passages, to many of them does not make an album whole. 10,000 Days is not a very heavy album at all and it only includes about 40 minutes of actual meat and potatoes. The rest is ambient music for those who enjoy the slow building tension that is often found on many progressive albums. I must admit that it took some time but this approach actually works particularly well on this release.

Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes

The music of Into Eternity is often very technical and contains a good variety of influences. On The Scattering of Ashes, I observed a little power metal, some Gothenburg metal, some thrash and some metalcore, even some acoustic guitar moments and some guitar hero soloing to appease a wide variety of fans and musicians alike. The songs are relatively short but this actually works in favor of the album, given that the aggressive nature of the music lends itself well to a 40 minute listening session without ever growing old or tiring. Kudos for not overdoing it guys and for trimming the songs to help keep things short and tight.

Although the songs are relatively short, things change often, from one vocal styling to the next, from one technical drum pattern to the next, from one thrashing moment to the next, from one melodic interlude and ensuing solo to the next extreme metal moment. Good stuff!

5. Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

The riffs on The Great Cold Distance are heavy, the overall sound is heavy and for those wondering, the band is a heavy weight in the land of the dark atmospheric metal sub-genres.

The band has included more progressive elements and some clearly identifiable "a la Tool" influences into their compositions. Many of the songs on the album contain these cool little licks that either come from the guitar or bass as no piano or keyboards where used to help create the dark atmosphere and haunting mood of the album. Every time I listen to this album, I'm astounded at how they did it, at what exactly they did with their guitars to come up with that particular sound or that peculiar fragile atmospheric melancholic mood? That's what's most interesting about this album.

The Great Cold Distance contains more complex musical patterns than past offerings from the band. Song arrangements and compositions - I'm talking about the many tempo changes, transitions, solos and musical interludes - are of the highest possible quality and those Tool influenced moments are further proof of the band's attempt at expanding their fan base.

4. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

The album opens with a "Different World", an energetic rocker. I don't think Iron Maiden have ever opened an album with such urgency, but wait a minute, this album is titled A Matter of Life and Death after all!

The boys continue with the headbanging barrage and onslaught with their second track "These Colours Don't Run," and I can just imagine the legions of followers at their concerts joining lead singer "Bruce Dickinson" with the oh-o-o-oh's found in the latter part of the song. And the album just continues this way, one excellent track after another, not one boring moment to speak of?

There are a few points I'd like to make though. This is an Iron Maiden album, so don't expect anything but quality metal music. And, make no mistake about it, this is first and foremost a metal album. There are absolutely no surprises to be found here. For me, song compositions are more straightforward, there is a very lively feel to the album and the music is a little less repetitive than past offerings.

In my view, "Dickinson" has never sounded better and the band seems more at ease than ever before. There's a wonderful flow from track to track that is undeniably smooth, coherent and well developed throughout the disc.

Yes, there are three guitar players, all individually capable of fronting a metal band on their own. But here, you'd never really know it. One could easily argue that all the guitar work done on this album had been performed by one guitarist. The reason being is that you can't always distinguish the work of all three guitarists. You've all heard it said before that sometimes less is more, well, that description fits perfectly here. In my view, the band sounds heavy without necessarily sounding heavier than past offerings. Everything is less cluttered, clearer sounding, making the album appear less complex but the band has included more pace changes and more intricate song structures to keep everything more interesting and moving along nicely.

This is a solid Iron Maiden album. Enjoyable on first listen and I must also admit that the album sticks in your mind after repeated spins. Every single song can be described as having an energetic moment or other particularly wonderful noteworthy moment.

3. Communic - Waves of Visual Decay

Norwegian power trio Communic have released what may very well be the best straightforward prog metal album I've heard all year. Waves of Visual Decay has a polished sound, is full thoughtful lyrics, it is very much a thrash oriented album with progressive influences. Average song length is around 8 minutes and each one of them moves from slow and emotional moments to heavy and technical sequences. The tracks are never so technical as to limit the overall accessibility of the album. This is a big plus as the music is easily digestible and goes down very nicely, much like a good bottle of wine.

Solos are included so as to add substance to the overall experience and not to impress any technical prowess onto the listener. When listening to the album you'll immediately notice the uncomplicated sound created by one bass, one guitar and one set of drums equipped with a double kick pedal. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

"Under a Luminous Sky" is about the violence caused by religious fanatics and how the media exploits this madness and ultimately end up creating even more fear. "Frozen Asleep in the Park" is about a homeless woman, abandoned by her family and left to die alone. With such deep felt lyrical content and themes, one can only be impressed with the bands vision and resolve. When Oddleif Stensland sings pensively with his deep soothing tone or rages in angry outbursts with a clean higher octave voice, you can feel his pain.

The strength of Waves of Visual Decay lies in its no frills, balls to the wall heavy grooves and superb interweaving riffs. When the band switches tempos, they do it smoothly and progressively; they're not in any hurry to rush through each and every song.

Sure there are intense moments with some unexpected twists which will grab your attention and occasionally cause you to bob your head up and down, but you'll probably enjoy this album more sitting down with a cold beer in one hand and your feet up on a foot stool.

2. Moonspell - Memorial

The music of Moonspell is deeply rooted in gothic metal with densely layered guitars, keyboards and synthesizers. Fernando Ribeiro's death growl is back in a very big way. At times the album is dark and atmospheric and sometimes the music exhibits very dramatic moments with a soundtrackish vibe. The band went all out with some double-bass blast-beats, aggressive guitars, orchestral elements and even finding room for some rare female vocals to enhance those less extreme melodic atmospheric moments. In all fairness, I must admit that Ribeiro does a good amount of whispering throughout the disc as well.

What I find most fascinating with this release is the overall quality of the compositions and in particular, all the attention to detail. I mean, there are many facets of this recording that elevate it to a truly exceptional album. For instance, you won't find one bad or awkward transition. Everything is done with refinement amid the uppermost expertise. These "things" I'm talking about are omnipresent but none are more brilliantly done than on "Sanguine" and "Luna."

The album contains several outstanding instrumental tracks, each interlude is intense with a feeling of heightened excitement as we find on the intro "In Memoriam" and a little later with "Proliferation."

Memorial is one of the better - if not the best - extreme metal album released in 2006!

1. Amorphis - Eclipse

The album is full of atmosphere, often moody and ethereal, and it contains plenty of soft and slower passages to give the listener plenty of time to absorb the tragic story being told and suffer along with the main character. At times somber, melancholic and as you listen through, you'll notice a good amount of gothic metal influenced moments. Not to fear, there are perhaps more folk influenced passages with plenty of thrash spread around the album. Acoustic guitars, keyboards, flute, electric guitars, bass and drums all used to perfection here.

Newly acquired front man Tomi Joutsen has a clean tenor voice and he sings with occasional harshness when the music requires him to. I was amazed at Joutsen's ability to find some superb melodies with the lyrics at hand. Just check out the last minute of "Two Moons" when Joutsen sings: "They've taken off in the rivers of heaven, they've taken off." Awesome work!

I've been spinning this album on and off since I got it, taking it out for a spin every now and then. I'll play it two or three times and put it away only to take it out again the following day or the following week. And, I repeat this scenario week after week, month after month. Album highlights for me, the fast paced opening track "Two Moons" with it's layers of heavy guitars and wonderful solo with a most energetic and melodic climactic ending. "House of Sleep" was the first single off the album and deservedly so with it's big catchy chorus. I simply love the slow and mournful "Under A Soil And Black Stone" and the most melodically beautiful track on the album: "Shame Flesh." Every metal album I bought this year, this is the album that I ended up comparing it too.
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
17.02.2007 - 20:28
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Largest Disappointment : "Thornography" - CoF

Wtf is this? pop metal? especially that song Temtation!
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
18.02.2007 - 04:22
Black_Crown
Account deleted
Largest Disappointent (I have two)
The First being above like Varonozz stated Thornography-COF need i say more?

The Second
With Oden On Our Side-Amon Amarth
They retreated back to their original sound for some part but i didnt get the brutal beat you with a bat sound like all of their other albums, and many of the songs imo lyrics were wrote to be too catchy and popy in a way. Ex Runes to my Memory

My fav 5
1.A Matter of Life and Death-Iron Maiden
Reminiscent of old albums such as powerslave and I actually like the single from the album:Different World
2.Monotheist-Celtic Frost
This is by far a dream come true to me. I am probably one of the biggest tom warrior fans and i loved this album. Listenin to it was like watchin a full blown prision riot. The sound was superb as of the old Circle of Tyrants album. And seein them as Waccen after all these years was wonderful. Hope their future stuff will be as great
3. A Twist in the Myth- Blind Guardian
Great Great Great singing by Hansi i loved it just like all their other albums
4.Christ Illusion
People have been bashin this album but i think it was brilliant especially the Eyes of the Insane song and the video is poetry in motion. Lombardos drummin was as good as every as kings guitar playin and Jeffs heckling meshed very well just like always.
5. 10,000 Days- TOOL
This album was wonderful imo. Maynard James Keenans vocals are still superb even with his agein i recommend this one to any fan of the band.
18.02.2007 - 08:46
Black Mass

10,000 Days from Tool was the release of the year for me. I've been a Tool fan for a very long time and initially, 10,000 Days didn't do it for me. By the 3rd listen I was hooked. From start to finish this album takes you on a journey of emotion and leaves you with a feeling of complete-ness and satisfaction.
I went to the Sydney gig on Jan 24th (the 6th time I had seen Tool) and I was moved to tears when they played Wings For Marie (Part 1) and 10,000 Days (Part 2). Tool never fail to meet the high expectations their fans have. When they play live, they never miss a riff and MJK never misses a lyric. Tool are one of the few bands who get better with age.

Rio Grande Blood by Ministry is a fucking awesome album. Its hard, its fast and you can not, should not, sit still while listening to it. This album takes Ministry back to the days of Psalm 69. Fear Is Big Business and Lieslieslies kick arse. They went off at WOA 2006.

Come What(ever) May by Stone Sour is probably my fave 'easy listening' release for 2006. Its good to study to and its one of those albums that I put on when I can't decide exactly what I want to listen to. Its a good space filler. It was the 'surprise' release for 2006 for me.

Christ Illusion from Slayer was hard to get into at first. They're getting old and I was worried they were going to follow in Metallica's footsteps with the disappointment that was St Anger. But I think Christ Illusion, while its not as fast as previous releases, it still rates highly for me in relation to what some old school thrash metal boys can do. Lets not forget, its the original line up as well!

Cant think of a 5th album right now, sorry!!
18.02.2007 - 11:00
Anathemani@c

5. Firewind - Allegiance (Really nice prog metal. Inspired compositions. )
4. Lamb Of God - Sacrament ( These guys just amaze me with every new release. )
3. Moonspell - Memorial ( Finally they realised what is the best for them to play... )
2. Amorphis - Eclipse (No words! Just an amazing alboum with brutal vocals, so melodic, atmospheric, emotional and deep, too. )
1. My Dying Bride - A line of deathless kings ( The kings of doom/death metal returned with a masterpiece that can be heard not only from doom/death metal fans. Enjoy them! )

The most dissapointing releases for this year, might be Cradle Of Filth - Thornography, Katatonia - The great cold distance ( I think Katatonia do ave masterpieces to release that alboum, which isn't that bad.. ) and finally Evergrey - Monday morning apocalypse...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
20.02.2007 - 00:45
Mela Muke
Account deleted
1. Draconian - The Burning Halo
2. The Gathering - Home
3. My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings
4. Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalpyse
5. Deicide - The Stench of Redemption
26.02.2007 - 05:38
Danny Thomas

Written by Black Mass on 18.02.2007 at 08:46

Come What(ever) May by Stone Sour is probably my fave 'easy listening' release for 2006. Its good to study to and its one of those albums that I put on when I can't decide exactly what I want to listen to. Its a good space filler. It was the 'surprise' release for 2006 for me.

haha i actually thought this was a huge disapointment. it doesn't hold a candle to their first album. mainstream dribble imo : /
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
26.02.2007 - 19:16
spiraljoe

1-blind guardian.a twist in the myth
2-Deftones.saturday night wrist
3-celtic frost.monotheist
4-the haunted.the dead eye
5-slayer-christ illusion

disapointment.borknagar-origin, It's great but I really had high expectations for this one.
26.02.2007 - 21:50
Bleeding_Rainbow

Insomnium - Above The Weeping World (I can't get enough of it, I listen to it often and it never gets old.)
Kalmah - The Black Waltz (Wish they had stuck with the previous vocal style, or even mix the tow, but still great album)
Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse (Excellent album.)
Tool - 10,000 Days (Now I just need to wait for A Perfect Circle's next one.)
Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth (Not as good as previous, but good none the less.)

As for disappointments...Black Label Society's new one was a major one to me, it just sucked in my opinion. Others...Shit, can't think right now.
27.02.2007 - 14:49
Whatever...
Account deleted
Thornography by Cradle of Filth
02.03.2007 - 12:46
Black Mass

Written by Danny Thomas on 26.02.2007 at 05:38

Written by Black Mass on 18.02.2007 at 08:46

haha i actually thought this was a huge disapointment. it doesn't hold a candle to their first album. mainstream dribble imo : /

after reading my post i'd have to agree with you, its shithouse compared to their self titled release. i was far too stoned when i wrote that.