08. Of Treasure
09. Wenches & Mead
10. Flower Of Scotland [The Corries cover]

Additional info
The track 'Flower of Scotland' was written by Roy Williamson

Guest review by
Doc G.
Rating:
Alright! Finally a concept band that steps away from the cliché Viking metal theme. A theme that has scarcely been shown since Running Wild, but unfortunately, Alestorm is no Running Wild.

The album opens up with no warning, trumpets and chugging guitars right from the start. Sounds like some epic fun right? Well, yes, if you are six years old. This album is about as predictable and unbearably cheesy as one band can be. First of all, the keyboards do create the sound the band was probably trying to achieve but it just becomes patronizing. We understand, you are pirates, now lay off the overused hooks with accordion synthesizers. As far as the guitars go, there is very little to say, 90% of the time they are so deeply buried by overproduced trumpet or accordion synthesizers they seem to be there just to make the sound a little beefier, or so the album doesn't get mistaken for the "Muppet Treasure Island" soundtrack. The overall song structure is the predictable part, I don't think there is a single riff on this album I haven't heard somewhere else. Lastly lets take a look at these lyrics; icing on the cheesecake. For the most part, these lyrics are (like a lot of other aspects of the album) completely predictable, most songs being dominated by stupidly facile rhymes like these: "There lived one man who was true/ Guardian of secrets that only he knew/Condemned for a crime that he did not commit/ Sentenced to die in the depths of the pit".

Read more ››
published 20.04.2008 | Comments (58)

Found in 9 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 408 users
09.08.2012 - 03:44
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Holy shit, this album is so fun to listen to! It puts me in a great mood and sounds great to rock out to while drunk
09.08.2012 - 22:43
DavidBurns

Amazing band, make me proud to call myself Scottish!
----
Never rate anything a 10 because there is always so much more to come. If I ever rate anything a 10 don't hesitate to slap me :P
06.03.2015 - 11:41
Rating: 7
BlackMetalDay

"With the power of ale, he could not fail" Really?
22.04.2017 - 13:47
Ruchesko

The commitment to their gimmick is admiral-able (woo!), but I just can't get past Bowes's vocals.
26.10.2019 - 16:59
Rating: 5
Mountain King
K i K o
I didn't enjoy it at all. I tried to listen to it in 4 sessions but the result is the same. With the exception for a few intensive moments like "Terror On The High Sees", I see nothing interesting and mainly the vocals do not fit well in any genre. Just bad vocals even you relate it to Thrash metal.

Hits total: 12196 | This month: 22