Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm's Favourite Album Art: Round 3!

So we've gone from roughly 300 down to 20 album covers. Now, we know what an opinionated bunch you people are, so we're going to shake things up in the voting department this round...

Here's how it is going to work - you look at these covers listed here, then send a private message to Doc Godin with your picks! How are things shaken up? Well, clearly, you're going to look at this list and think to yourself "Well, there definitely is some nice ones, but sweet merciful crap! How the hell did _____ make it to the final 20?!" So you're going to pick 3 to give a thumbs down, and 3 to give a thumbs up. The thumbs-up will give a +1 on the scoreboard for your picks, while the thumbs-down will give a -1.

All that being said, here are the top 20:
Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thundergod
Amorphis - Skyforger
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Cormorant - Dwellings
Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Kvelertak - Kvelertak
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
Mastodon - Leviathan
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Septicflesh - The Great Mass
Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
Vildhjarta - Måsstaden
Wintersun - Wintersun

Note: Only picks PM'd to Doc will be counted. E-mailing him or picks posted here will not be counted.

Tune in for Round 4 on August 15th for the top 10!
Posted: 09.08.2012 by Doc Godin

Comments page 3 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 81   Visited by: 503 users
13.08.2012 - 14:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mattybu on 13.08.2012 at 03:22

Too bad Manslayer didn't make the list. It's better album art and better music quality that about 100% of these.

what has music uality to do with anything on this poll?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2012 - 21:02
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.08.2012 at 14:00

Written by Mattybu on 13.08.2012 at 03:22

Too bad Manslayer didn't make the list. It's better album art and better music quality that about 100% of these.

what has music uality to do with anything on this poll?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

I was joking anyways manslayer is horrendous. I gave up on this contest after round 1 haha
14.08.2012 - 09:59
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
I didn't get involved in any of this (I kinda regret it...I like having fun, too!), however- did anybody ever even think of Cathedral's "Forest of Equilibrium", "The Ethereal Mirror", or "Carnival Bizarre"?!?! If they did, I must have missed it...
14.08.2012 - 11:26
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by btbamfan20 on 12.08.2012 at 22:29

Too bad Spawn of Possession - Incurso didnt make it, its better than ALL of these album arts....

I agree, i voted for it. Was so damn good.

I don't know about most people, but i vote on what looks amazing, not what i THINK i should vote for. Cliche doesn't really come into it unless it is something REALLY lame like a pentagram or candles. I hate symbolism in it's most obvious forms. I only like album art if it actually looks good. I still think Ahab's was the best, though their logo probably killed it off because it is the worst logo i have ever seen.
14.08.2012 - 17:34
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.08.2012 at 09:59

I didn't get involved in any of this (I kinda regret it...I like having fun, too!), however- did anybody ever even think of Cathedral's "Forest of Equilibrium", "The Ethereal Mirror", or "Carnival Bizarre"?!?! If they did, I must have missed it...

I voted for ethereal mirror in round 1. Im so fond of it that I even got a 70cm/50cm high quality poster of the full artwork printed last week that im about to frame eheh next one will be maniacal vale's full artwork!
14.08.2012 - 19:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.08.2012 at 09:59

Cathedral's FOE was one of my three original votes, along with Endname's Anthropomachy and Godflesh' Streetcleaner.

The first two didn't have enough votes to make round two.

Streetcleaner snuck in because someone else has good taste.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.08.2012 - 20:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Dark Cornatus on 14.08.2012 at 11:26
I still think Ahab's was the best, though their logo probably killed it off because it is the worst logo i have ever seen.

i had to disqualify myself from voting for "Divinity of Oceans" because it is actual artwork currently hanging in the Louvre. didn't think it fair.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.08.2012 - 21:22
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Oh, ok. I figured that the 3 Cathedral CDs I listed deserved mention. That artist is phenomenal. (And it's been years since I had listened to the band, honestly. That's how much they stuck with me.)
14.08.2012 - 23:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 14.08.2012 at 19:50
Streetcleaner snuck in because someone else has good taste.

You called?

I voted for it those 2 times... Glad to see it lasted at least more than one round hahahaha
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.08.2012 - 18:01
Oaken
Hipster
When is the next round starting?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.08.2012 - 23:03
Hallford9000

I'm also eagerly waiting for the next round... the MS staff should make more contests like this. Maybe a best demo contest?
17.08.2012 - 10:36
afu

That was the hardest decision I'd made since I was at redtube.
19.08.2012 - 08:29
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by BitterCOld on 14.08.2012 at 20:01

Written by Dark Cornatus on 14.08.2012 at 11:26
I still think Ahab's was the best, though their logo probably killed it off because it is the worst logo i have ever seen.

i had to disqualify myself from voting for "Divinity of Oceans" because it is actual artwork currently hanging in the Louvre. didn't think it fair.

I never knew that (and i've been there LOL). Respect lowered.... i thought they painted it for the album... sigh.
19.08.2012 - 15:14
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Quite a few bands take some famous (or not so famous) artwork for their album covers, like Klabautamann in their latest one:

The original painting is by a Swedish guy, John Bauer. Anyway, as I'm no art enthusiast, I think it's an interesting way to become acquainted with some nice pieces. I never would have heard of that Bauer guy otherwise.
19.08.2012 - 15:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:14

Quite a few bands take some famous (or not so famous) artwork for their album covers, like Klabautamann in their latest one:
The original painting is by a Swedish guy, John Bauer. Anyway, as I'm no art enthusiast, I think it's an interesting way to become acquainted with some nice pieces. I never would have heard of that Bauer guy otherwise.

Pretty stunning work. I'm also a massive fan of the band's other album art:

19.08.2012 - 15:27
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 19.08.2012 at 15:21

Pretty stunning work. I'm also a massive fan of the band's other album art:

They always put a nice cover on their music. Speaking of which I can't get enough of it, that Merkur album in particular
19.08.2012 - 15:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:27

They always put a nice cover on their music. Speaking of which I can't get enough of it, that Merkur album in particular

It was a bit too mellow for me : P
19.08.2012 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Quite a few bands take some famous (or not so famous) artwork for their album covers

Burzum also used existing art for a couple of its albums, Reverend Bizarre too, Candlemass as well, same for Celtic Frost. Actually loads of bands use famous and less famous artwork for their albums
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.08.2012 - 15:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.08.2012 at 15:30

Burzum also used existing art for a couple of its albums, Reverend Bizarre too, Candlemass as well, same for Celtic Frost. Actually loads of bands use famous and less famous artwork for their albums

Zdzisław Beksiński's art seems to pop up all the time too.
19.08.2012 - 15:36
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.08.2012 at 15:30

Quite a few bands take some famous (or not so famous) artwork for their album covers

With Reverend Bizarre its that "In the Rectory" album cover I think, I've seen it elsewhere. As for Candlemass..I'm guessing the cover for Nightfall?
19.08.2012 - 15:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by R'Vannith on 19.08.2012 at 15:36

With Reverend Bizarre its that "In the Rectory" album cover I think, I've seen it elsewhere. As for Candlemass..I'm guessing the cover for Nightfall?

In the Rectory and also So Long Suckers. Candlemass Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 15418 | This month: 135