07. Guitar/Drum Solo
08. Goodbye To Romance
09. I Don't Know
10. Believer
11. Flying High Again
12. Iron Man
13. Children Of The Grave
14. Paranoid

It seems there has been an onslaught of Ozzy-related DVDs hitting the market over the past few years; the wonderful Classic Albums - Paranoid, the boring and unnecessary God Bless Ozzy Osbourne, and now this; Speak Of The Devil - Live in 1982. While not a bad release, it's definitely nothing to write home about.

1982? If that year sounds familiar to those of you who studied hard in Ozzy Osbourne history class, that's the same year the tragic death of Randy Rhoads occured. This concert recording - taken from the "Diary Of A Madman" tour a mere 3 months after Randy's death - is being promoted as some kind of snapshot in time, to show the state of things in this period of turmoil. At least, that's the impression you get from reading the back of the case. In actuality, the contents of this DVD are extremely stripped down; no extras, no interviews, no commentaries, just the concert. Just the concert is really the only way to put it. The performance is seamless, aside from Ozzy's incredibly stoic stage presence, there's nothing awry about any of it. In fact, the only thing that's of real note is the presence of temporary replacement guitarist Brad Gillis, who has otherwise been but a small blip on the metal radar.

All of this may sound like someone complaining about a train-wreck being averted. Hell, maybe it is. It really doesn't change the fact that this DVD, albeit an acceptable performance, really lacks any noteworthy interesting parts, nor any cool type of trivia that the descriptor on the back implies.

Speak Of The Devil is a somewhat entertaining DVD; unfortunately, if you're going to pop in a concert DVD, this definitely shouldn't be the top of the list.

Written on 09.08.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 178 users
09.08.2012 - 14:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Unfortunately, as you know, bands (or mostly record labels) release material just for the sake of the cash, especially in the case of really big bands like Ozzy, Priest, Motorhead, etc. this sounds like one of those DVD's.
09.08.2012 - 15:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Looks like they dropped the ball in terms of bonus content. Kind of pointless as a DVD otherwise unless you're just really keen on watching every Ozzy performance you can get your hands on.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.08.2012 - 15:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmm this is actually quite an interesting release for me since I have a couple of quite dodgy cassette recordings of that same tour with Brad Gillis on guitar. Now it is finally possible to have images of that tour as well.

As for no bonus content, I really don't give a flying f**k, 99% of the times the bonus content is crap anyway.

Brad Gillis was quite a big name at the time because of Nightranger.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 19:21
Lit.
Account deleted
Wasn't this already released in... you know, 1982?
09.08.2012 - 20:23
Misfit74

Speak Of The Devil is one of my favorite live albums ever. I hadn't known there was live footage of it. I'll be interested to check this out. I've listened to the Speak Of The Devil album as much or more than any other Black Sabbath or Ozzy recording except for, perhaps, Live Evil.
10.08.2012 - 00:14
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Yep, the bonus content on DVD releases is usually a flying, steaming load of cr&polla so good thing they've dispensed with it. Just a big marketing ploy designed to suck people in. Hey, big bonus material! (and it is some jerk waffling on about the making of the thing). Anyway, each to their own. A serious question - with regards to this temporary replacement guitarist - does that mean Rhoads doesn't appear in the concert?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
10.08.2012 - 00:57
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2012 at 15:56

As for no bonus content, I really don't give a flying f**k, 99% of the times the bonus content is crap anyway.

Same here.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.08.2012 - 02:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 09.08.2012 at 19:21

Nope that was the live album and that only featured Black Sabbath songs and not Ozzy solo songs
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2012 - 02:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Misfit74 on 09.08.2012 at 20:23

Speak Of The Devil is one of my favorite live albums ever. I hadn't known there was live footage of it. I'll be interested to check this out. I've listened to the Speak Of The Devil album as much or more than any other Black Sabbath or Ozzy recording except for, perhaps, Live Evil.

See my previous comment about the difference between the SOTD live album and the dvd
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2012 - 02:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 10.08.2012 at 00:14

Yep, the bonus content on DVD releases is usually a flying, steaming load of cr&polla so good thing they've dispensed with it. Just a big marketing ploy designed to suck people in. Hey, big bonus material! (and it is some jerk waffling on about the making of the thing). Anyway, each to their own. A serious question - with regards to this temporary replacement guitarist - does that mean Rhoads doesn't appear in the concert?

Of course Randy doesn't appear because he was killed in the plane crash a couple of months prior to this gig
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2012 - 03:13
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.08.2012 at 02:27

Written by Guest on 09.08.2012 at 19:21

Nope that was the live album and that only featured Black Sabbath songs and not Ozzy solo songs

There was a VHS from 1982 called Speak Of The Devil which is different than the live album of Sabbath songs. This dvd is a reissue of said VHS. So yeah, it was released back in 1982. Or a different show from the same year with the same setlist with the same release name.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ozzy_Osbourne/Speak_of_the_Devil/69779
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ozzy_Osbourne/Speak_of_the_Devil/347564
10.08.2012 - 06:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I personally don't care for bonus material for reasons others stated already, but if it's rare footage of a legendary musician or a never-before-seen interview that reveals interesting information that can't simply be Googled, then I'm gonna appreciate that content.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.08.2012 - 13:06
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.08.2012 at 02:29

Of course Randy doesn't appear because he was killed in the plane crash a couple of months prior to this gig

Major embarrassment. Feel like a goose. Should have read that review more thoroughly. Oh well, happens to the best of us. I think I'll check out this DVD at some stage, just for the curiosity value. Agree that bonus content can be valuable if it is "never seen before" footage.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
10.08.2012 - 19:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.08.2012 at 03:13

There was a VHS from 1982 called Speak Of The Devil which is different than the live album of Sabbath songs. This dvd is a reissue of said VHS. So yeah, it was released back in 1982. Or a different show from the same year with the same setlist with the same release name.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ozzy_Osbourne/Speak_of_the_Devil/69779
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ozzy_Osbourne/Speak_of_the_Devil/347564

yeah I just found out about that vhs, but the vhs was only released in Japan, so releasing it on dvd worldwide is a good thing imo.

I see it is the Irvine Meadows show, the exact same show I have a bootleg cassette recording of.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2012 - 21:05
Misfit74

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2012 at 15:56

Mmm this is actually quite an interesting release for me since I have a couple of quite dodgy cassette recordings of that same tour with Brad Gillis on guitar. Now it is finally possible to have images of that tour as well.

Brad Gillis was quite a big name at the time because of Nightranger.

Brad Gillis did a fantastic job, too.

I agree - I'd be watching it to see the music I love performed live. Bonus content is nice, but usually not the reason I watch a DVD like this. Bonus content/footage that accompanies a CD is different - that's all about the bonus footage, etc., such as what you get with Decapitated or Opeth, for example.
20.08.2012 - 00:24
SymphAlchemist

Written by Valentin B on 09.08.2012 at 14:58

Unfortunately, as you know, bands (or mostly record labels) release material just for the sake of the cash, especially in the case of really big bands like Ozzy, Priest, Motorhead, etc. this sounds like one of those DVD's.

It is
21.08.2012 - 08:11
Misfit74

I just noticed that's not even close to the song-list of the album. WTF? Snowblind and Symptom of the Universe are the best tracks on there.

Hits total: 6805 | This month: 17