07. Endtime Hearts
08. State Of Trust
09. Weight Of The End
10. None Becoming
11. Immemorial [USA bonus]
12. Photon Dreams [USA bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Dark Tranquillity"

Additional info
Guitars, bass, vocals and electronics recorded at Rogue Music. Engineered by Johan Örnborg and Martin Brändström.
Drums recorded at Nacksving Studios. Engineered by Johan Örnborg and Isak Edh.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios except "Photon Dreams" mixed by Johan Örnborg at Fascination Street Studios.

Artwork and layout by Cabin Fever Media.
Portrait photos by Daniel Falk.

Staff review by
Darkside Momo
Rating:
N/A
When "For Broken Words", Construct's opener, was first previewed, reactions were mixed, to say the least - and that's only natural given the weird, mid-tempo nature of this song. Then we got a classical Dark Tranquillity song ("The Science Of Noise", a future live anthem to be sure), and a mellow song with clean vocals ("Uniformity"). Varied album? Indeed! So, how's the rest? Well, screaming 'masterpîece' is obviously a case of blind fanboyism, but talking about 'pure crap' is totally a prejudiced, off-the-mark vision; as usual (and especially with an album like this one) the answer lies in the silence in between (ah ah).

Read more ››
published 11.06.2013 | Comments (40)

Found in 49 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 120   Visited by: 1443 users
30.05.2013 - 21:34
Rating: 5
Lustful Maid

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 00:48

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 00:41

8.4 after 100 votes.
Seriously? It's probably a high 6 at most.
Fanboys.

It's a melodeathenburg album. Pretty much to be expected.

"Melodeathenburg" ? You're too much into it.
- Gothenburg Metal itself is already Melodic. When you see a bird, you don't have to say it's a "flying" bird, it's understood.
- Gothenburg only adopted a small part of the Death Metal's vocal style (harsh voices), the rest are still pretty melodic, it's wrong to put Death and Gothenburg together.
- Sounded like you named a bird as Flying Walking Bird
30.05.2013 - 21:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 30.05.2013 at 21:30

- Gothenburg Metal itself is already Melodic. When you see a bird, you don't have to say it's a "flying" bird, it's understood.
- Gothenburg only adopted a small part of the Death Metal's vocal style (harsh voices), the rest are still pretty melodic, it's wrong to put Death and Gothenburg together.
- Sounded like you name a bird as Flying Walking Bird

Melodic death metal and Gothenburg are exactly the same thing stylistically. Gothenburg is just a regional variation of melodic death metal. I'm patently aware that melodic death metal has practically zero death metal in (I actually explained this to someone on here recently). You simply misunderstood what I was saying which was meant as nothing more than a play on words.
30.05.2013 - 21:51
Lustful Maid

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 21:36

Written by Lustful Maid on 30.05.2013 at 21:30

- Sounded like you name a bird as Flying Walking Bird

Melodic death metal and Gothenburg are exactly the same thing stylistically. Gothenburg is just a regional variation of melodic death metal. I'm patently aware that melodic death metal has practically zero death metal in (I actually explained this to someone on here recently). You simply misunderstood what I was saying which was meant as nothing more than a play on words.

1) "Melodic death metal and Gothenburg are exactly the same thing stylistically. Gothenburg is just a regional variation of melodic death metal"
-Not fully agreed. Gothenburg has to be fast ( I have never heard of any Slow Gothenburg bands around ), they depend on guitarist very much. Melodic Death can be slower and focus on bass more than guitar.
2) "..patently aware that melodic death metal has practically zero death metal in.."
- Sounds unbelievable, I have strong reservations on that theory.
30.05.2013 - 21:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 30.05.2013 at 21:51

1) "Melodic death metal and Gothenburg are exactly the same thing stylistically. Gothenburg is just a regional variation of melodic death metal"
-Not fully agreed. Gothenburg has to be fast ( I have never heard of any Slow Gothenburg bands around ), they depend on guitarist very much. Melodic Death can be slower and focus on bass more than guitar.
2) "..patently aware that melodic death metal has practically zero death metal in.."

I've never heard anywhere that "Gothenburg" has to be fast, even though most bands are (as are melodeath bands).. That's an entirely personal, made up perspective. If you look up any of the so-called Gothenburg bands you will see that they are most commonly referred to as melodic death metal.

There always exceptions to the rule, for example there are actual death metal bands that are melodic, but the vast amount of melodeath is sped up Iron Maiden with harsh vocals. The term "melodic death metal" is an encompassing term that also includes the bands from the Gothenburg region. That is the only signalling factor where the term "Gothenburg" is used. It has nothing whatsoever to do with speed.
30.05.2013 - 22:13
Lustful Maid

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 21:57

I've never heard anywhere that "Gothenburg" has to be fast, even though most bands are (as are melodeath bands).. That's an entirely personal, made up perspective. If you look up any of the so-called Gothenburg bands you will see that they are most commonly referred to as melodic death metal.

There always exceptions to the rule, for example there are actual death metal bands that are melodic, but the vast amount of melodeath is sped up Iron Maiden with harsh vocals. The term "melodic death metal" is an encompassing term that also includes the bands from the Gothenburg region. That is the only signalling factor where the term "Gothenburg" is used. It has nothing whatsoever to do with speed.

1)...If you look up any of the so-called Gothenburg bands you will see that they are most commonly referred to as melodic death metal...
- It's time to make a change.
2) ...vast amount of melodeath is sped up Iron Maiden with harsh vocals..
- You mean Melodeath is a fast forwarding of Heavy Metal ? Over my dead body !
3) ...The term "melodic death metal" is an encompassing term that also includes the bands from the Gothenburg region..
- True, but Gothenburg's style became very stable and recognised, breaking away from Melodeath. Just like a colony became an independent country.
30.05.2013 - 23:43
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Gothenburg is to melodeth as Bay area thrash is to thrash...it's a regional variation
31.05.2013 - 00:32
Dinruth

Written by Lustful Maid on 30.05.2013 at 22:13

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 21:57

1)...If you look up any of the so-called Gothenburg bands you will see that they are most commonly referred to as melodic death metal...
- It's time to make a change.
2) ...vast amount of melodeath is sped up Iron Maiden with harsh vocals..
- You mean Melodeath is a fast forwarding of Heavy Metal ? Over my dead body !
3) ...The term "melodic death metal" is an encompassing term that also includes the bands from the Gothenburg region..
- True, but Gothenburg's style became very stable and recognised, breaking away from Melodeath. Just like a colony became an independent country.

would you then please enlighten us and tell us the difference between the two?
31.05.2013 - 02:17
Lit.
Account deleted
There is no difference. Gothenburg and MDM are virtually the same. Anyone with working ears can hear that.
You know what? Scratch that. I'm partially deaf and even I can tell it's the same.
31.05.2013 - 09:12
Lustful Maid

Written by Guest on 31.05.2013 at 02:17

There is no difference. Gothenburg and MDM are virtually the same. Anyone with working ears can hear that.
You know what? Scratch that. I'm partially deaf and even I can tell it's the same.

War is due to differences in logic.
I am willing to agree with whatever you say.
31.05.2013 - 09:29
Lustful Maid

Written by JÄY on 30.05.2013 at 23:43

Gothenburg is to melodeth as Bay area thrash is to thrash...it's a regional variation

WRONG.
- Bay Area Thrash has their own characteristics, the song is usually short, faster with Rap vocals, just blended some Thrash guitar elements, that's all.
- Gothenburg and Melodeth also different (I have mentioned earlier)
- I hope you can differentiate an Apple and Pineapple.
- There is more White than Black in Germany, a Black can not call himself a White just because the country where he lives in are mainly White as the Black still has his own strong characteristics (eventhough they're human-beings). Unless you have suffered Michael Jackson's Symdrome.
31.05.2013 - 09:52
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Lustful Maid on 31.05.2013 at 09:29

WRONG.
- Bay Area Thrash has their own characteristics, the song is usually short, faster with Rap vocals, just blended some Thrash guitar elements, that's all.

Bay Area thrash bands include Metallica (Kill 'Em All) and Testament. Just thought I'd mention before someone annihilates you for that rap vocals thing
31.05.2013 - 16:55
Rating: 6
Arcesse Eum

Compared to new stuff floating around like Leprous, Persefone and Summoning (which I'm aware are all radically different), this album is pretty cookie-cutter DT. I've been a fanboy since Damage Done and I can't seem to get terribly excited off this record (same with We Are the Void). They're due for something really different to break out of their mold, lately everything sounds kinda the same since Character.
----
As above, so below.
31.05.2013 - 19:23
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Lustful Maid on 30.05.2013 at 21:34

When you see a bird, you don't have to say it's a "flying" bird, it's understood.

You bastard.
31.05.2013 - 19:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Azarath on 31.05.2013 at 19:23

Written by Lustful Maid on 30.05.2013 at 21:34

When you see a bird, you don't have to say it's a "flying" bird, it's understood.

You bastard.

actually the guy you quoted isn't totally right, since there are also non-flying birds
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2013 - 19:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2013 at 19:33

actually the guy you quoted isn't totally right, since there are also non-flying birds

His comment was a link to a penguin btw
31.05.2013 - 19:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 31.05.2013 at 19:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2013 at 19:33

His comment was a link to a penguin btw

nice. I didn't click on his link, so had no idea a posted a non-flying one
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2013 - 19:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2013 at 19:46

Actually I didn't realise there was so many flying birds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flightless_bird

But yes, enough of that offtopicness.
31.05.2013 - 20:00
Lit.
Account deleted
One more off-topic post:
OWNED!
31.05.2013 - 20:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 31.05.2013 at 19:53

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2013 at 19:46

Actually I didn't realise there was so many flying birds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flightless_bird

last off-topicness from me... ahum, don't you mean "non-flying birds"?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2013 - 20:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.05.2013 at 20:03

last off-topicness from me... ahum, don't you mean "non-flying birds"?

Haha, yes, of course
01.06.2013 - 01:00
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
It's a great album, but not one of their catchiest and demands a few listens. It's certainly the 2nd most mellow, after Projector.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
01.06.2013 - 17:34
Wes

Finally I can say for me personally, this album is a masterpiece. I haven't heard anything from them this ambitious since projector. Really great stuff. Damn..
02.06.2013 - 01:30
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Arcesse Eum on 31.05.2013 at 16:55

Compared to new stuff floating around like Leprous, Persefone and Summoning (which I'm aware are all radically different), this album is pretty cookie-cutter DT. I've been a fanboy since Damage Done and I can't seem to get terribly excited off this record (same with We Are the Void). They're due for something really different to break out of their mold, lately everything sounds kinda the same since Character.

I largely disagree. Thing is, when a guy who contributes on one album as much as he's done on his previous albums combined, things are bound to be a little different. Brändström is given the main composer credit on eight songs here (due to other members apparently suffering from writer's block), and after repeated listens it turns out this man is a genius. Dark Tranquillity's music hasn't had this much groove and energy since Damage Done / Character times.
02.06.2013 - 09:50
RealEyes

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 00:41

8.4 after 100 votes.
Seriously? It's probably a high 6 at most.
Fanboys.

that's what you get when you have noobs around you
02.06.2013 - 21:10
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
One thing is for sure, this one is better than We Are The Void, by aeons.

Way to go DT, another great album in my collection!
03.06.2013 - 10:18
This is a very funny thread, since I'm from Gothenburg
03.06.2013 - 18:15
Rating: 7
beyondtehdarksun

Am I the only one who was really bored by this album? Listened to it two times, and not even one of the songs caught my interest.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
04.06.2013 - 08:03
Ap46

Well, i think it's solid. They've managed to put out a nice album, that even though it can be pretty generic from time to time, it has many strong moments. Don't know its replay value for me though, so the score might change in the near future.
05.06.2013 - 01:11
amirviper

Very Very Weak and Disappointed Album!!!!!:noidea:
05.06.2013 - 17:58
s_t_s

This whole thing about defining Melodeath or Gothenburg metal is only mental masturbation guys ! Say you hate or dislike this album but don't try to justify your choice using such arguments. After a few spins, I have to say I've really got into this album and I really like it, in spite of its lack of brutality but hey we're talking about DT, not Behemoth or Marduk ^^

Just waiting for a decent price to try and get hold of the US version so that I can enjoy 2 bonus tracks that seem non existent in the Euro version

Hits total: 29308 | This month: 82