02. Psi-drama
03. Mysterious Hours
04. Foretoken
05. Evil Dreams
06. Winter Threat
07. The Bridge Of The River Flowing
08. Hopefulness
09. Rescue Of Mind

The silent noise of breaking dreams... hits violently the soul.

2012 has brought many good releases from Portuguese bands so far. There must be something in the water. Smooth Comforts False also drank from the same fountain of inspiration and Thee Orakle is a very young band too; reaching maturity with your second album is not a bad growth curve.

It can be said that with this new release, they have somehow freed themselves creatively even though essentially combining two worlds. At the core of their music there is a gelling fusion of gothic metal with death metal elements, which also has room for progressive overtones and unexpected jazzy outlines where the saxophone and trumpet pay a little surprising but never awkward visit. Also, the notable guest appearances by Yossi Sassi Sa'aron on bouzouki from Orphaned Land in the hybrid "Evil Dreams" and Marco Benevento on vocals from The Foreshadowing in the emotionally intense "Winter Threat" brighten up those different facets of the band. There is a certain complexity in their genre elasticity that is captivating and effortless.

The gothic appeal comes primarily from the powerful and crystalline female vocals offered by Micaela Cardoso, which shape Thee Orakle's music and act as the perfect pendulum that clearly dictates where the songs will go. The use of growls and female vocals remind us of the old Beauty and the Beast dichotomy we often find in the genre, and the gloomy atmospheres built by the keyboards only strengthen that charm.

Aside from this, there is a fascination with death metal, whether melodic or more technical. From the blasting riffs, pick slide à la Gojira and deep growls in "The Bridge Of The River Flowing" to the more melodic and eclectic approach in "Mysterious Hours", the effect tends to be constant: express the loneliness and hopefulness of human existence. Despite the risk of some repetition in certain riffs used and a lyrical style that could be more polished, these small glitches end up being fairly inconsequential when you absorb the big picture.

The best quality of Smooth Comforts False is the fact that there is room for experimentation and stepping out of their comfort zone as well as a good balance between what is the core of the band and the new elements introduced to take it to the next level. Thee Orakle then cement themselves as more than just a promising band and finally break out of their shell. And thus the door is open for bigger flights...

Written by BloodTears | 17.08.2012

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 237 users
17.08.2012 - 13:30
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Great review, this one sounded very ambitious to me too, so I can only agree that there is room for experimentation on this album. That seems to be the focus, trying something a bit different, which they certainly pulled off.
17.08.2012 - 14:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Great review... I had the album in my computer for a while now but haven't really give it a good listen. This review definitely makes me want to listen to it now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2012 - 09:37
I_Die_Often

A very good album IMO
Think I got it from band camp for free a while ago.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
19.08.2012 - 11:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Glad to see people are listening to the album.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.08.2012 - 06:07
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Great review!
----
loves 小巫
03.09.2012 - 00:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Man the artwork is definitely flipping me off.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.09.2012 - 15:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.09.2012 at 00:30

Man the artwork is definitely flipping me off.

In a good way?
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 6296 | This month: 14