Metal Storm logo
5ive - extraordinary Sludge/Drone

19.05.2006 - 04:43
Southern Wind
Account deleted
anybody into this awesome band??? I was reading some forum about ISIS and some guy recommended it. I checked and I'm amazed, specially with their album "The Telestic Disfracture" (2001)... well, they play a very dense and heavy dronish Sludge Metal, imeagine a mix between Pelican, Sunn O))) nd ISIS and you'll havw an idea... check it!
30.05.2006 - 03:49
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Alright, so I will comment a little about them
First of all, I dont see much of sludge or drone in their sound, althought that doesnt really matter.. To me they are a product of the noisecore scene, just like Neurosis, although they went into a direction that is completely their own. They totally avoid any of the wankery that Pelican displays and as a result are really able to make a phenomenally oppressive, yet beautiful wall of sound. They also occasionally have vocals, which remind me a little of Alice In Chains (actually, they remind me of the vocals in the French industrial band Sin, which reminds me of AIC, I just made a shortcut, LOL). This is music for fans of ambience, noise, textures etc...

Funny bit of trivia - they are now called Continuum Research Project (or 5ive's Continuum Research Project, according to some sources) due to the fact that there is already a boys band called 5ive This must have been a little embarrasing for them when they found it out, LOL
30.05.2006 - 04:57
Southern Wind
Account deleted
well, thanx to all-knowing jupitreas for that clarification about genres, in which I certainly suck
30.05.2006 - 16:18
Zombie, M.D.

Ive heard some of their stuff as 5ive's Contunuum Research Project which I really liked, Versus and The Hemophiliac Dream. There is a good balance between the ambient momments and the bone crushingly heavy momments. Almost comparable to newer Neurosis, but also at the same time totally different.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
30.05.2006 - 16:22
Southern Wind
Account deleted
You MUST check their older stuff then, their self titled and specially "The Telestic Disfracture" (a truly masterpiece)
30.05.2006 - 17:04
SteTech

I can't help but be worried that there was a boy band from the UK with the same name!
31.05.2006 - 01:47
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by SteTech on 30.05.2006 at 17:04

I can't help but be worried that there was a boy band from the UK with the same name!

Jupitreas already warned us about that
01.07.2006 - 19:07
Remus

Written by SteTech on 30.05.2006 at 17:04

Baby when the lights, go out... wait, are we talking about the same 5ive here?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.02.2012 - 01:42
The Turbanator

Excellent band. I have their "Hesperus" album. Really good.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!