02. Lake Of Fire
03. Mihi
04. Daggers
05. Call Out The Dead
06. Red God
07. Iron Wolf
08. Cthulhu
09. Empire

Beast Wars, not to be confused with the mid-90s cartoon, are a Sludgy Stoner act out of New Zealand, with Beast Wars being their first release.

Generally the songwriting approach of this act is to have some form of trudging riff paired with a gritty yet soulful vocal approach that at times almost sound like drunken mumbling by someone chain smoking three packs a day.

After a while, when perhaps the trudging is starting to feel tedious, the band goes Beast-mode with the chorus. The tempo is kept generally the same but intensity gets ratcheted up a notch or three.

Guitar riffs, previously muted, are unleashed? as are the vocals, which switch over to a powerful roar. Toss some wah-drenched leads into the mix as well.
The swell in energy is palpable.

Amusingly, while I grew to like this approach a bit more with each passing song, I felt the two strongest songs on the album were the last two, Cthulu and Empire, and they pretty much eschewed this dynamic.

Cthulu kept the slow, muted trudge pretty much the entire way, but the band managed to craft a creepy song about shipboard disaster which really benefited from the restraint. Probably my favorite song on the album.

Empire went the opposite route, dumped the build-up, and just pushed the intensity straight out of the gate and maintain. A great pick to be the closer, as as the song ended I found myself disappointed to be met with silence. That's a good closing track.

The band isn't blazing new trails with their tunes, but the tunes sound great. The guitars and bass are nicely balanced in the mix so you here both, along with clear vox and drum pounding. The mix gives the tunes more depth and power.

Enjoyable first outing from these Kiwi Beasts.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 10.09.2012 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 253 users
10.09.2012 - 21:04
Coolingsrock

I'll get the album and give er' a go!
10.09.2012 - 21:53
MechanisT
Account deleted
That's some cover. Interested to hear these guys.
10.09.2012 - 23:13
The Voyager
The Table
Best mid-90's cartoon. There is no argument.
10.09.2012 - 23:36
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by The Voyager on 10.09.2012 at 23:13

Yeah, I was a little disappointed to find out this wasn't Transformers themed.
10.09.2012 - 23:41
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Nice to see these guys get some attention on here. I loved the album. The vocals were quite different and I enjoyed them. Some really awesome riffs on the album and the artwork is great as well.

If you want a sample of the album http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/track/damn-the-sky-2
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
11.09.2012 - 02:43
Vermoorden

Album was pretty mediocre imo....But the cover is epic as hell.
11.09.2012 - 03:01
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by The Voyager on 10.09.2012 at 23:13

the funny thing about the cartoon was i was completely unaware of it and the line started off by saying the band name SOUNDED like it could be the name for a late 80's cartoon... fortunately i did a google search.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.09.2012 - 06:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Yeeesss.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.09.2012 - 14:48
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Joining the ranks of the many who came to this page hoping the album was transformer themed.

Also, lol @ M C Vice.
11.09.2012 - 15:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
That great cover art makes me willing to listen to the album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.09.2012 - 15:29
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Fairly good review. I haven't given them my ears yet but it's nice to see that positive reception isn't just from local writers. Thanks also Spirit M for the link...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
14.09.2012 - 15:11
Edmund Fogg

Oh yah Beast Wars finaly made it to MS. Thanks for giving them the recognition they deserve. And if you want a contender for Best Video of The Year in the MS Award, look at this bad boy.

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.09.2012 - 18:16
Urizen367

Not gonna lie. saw this, thought "TERRORIZE!!!"

and was very much surprised and entertained by this!!!
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
19.09.2012 - 02:49
symbolic_acts

Great live video of them here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Btg5TcsYUc

They've been working on a follow up album, which I'm hoping will make it out before the end of the year
23.09.2012 - 03:03
Rating: 8
A.Ghosheh

Great album, loved it.
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef

Hits total: 5353 | This month: 5