Metal Storm logo
Aphex Twin

13.09.2012 - 05:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Figured I'd open an Aphex Twin thread. If there was ever an artist that transcends music cultural leanings it's this guy. Most metallers who know of him tend to like his stuff and he's pretty much regarded as a genius in the field of ambient electronic, acid house, breakbeat etc. by everyone else. Despite his popularity his music remains fairly unique. I've yet to hear an artist that quite matches his approach.

I'm lazy so you won't be getting an in-depth description from me, rather a link to his Wiki page right here.

I'm most familiar with his Richard D. James and two Selected Ambient Works records, all are lauded critically and demand your attention. Anyway, songs are better than words so here's some random tracks that I enjoy:

He's arguably most famous for these song and videos. Not a great fan of either of the tracks but the videos are pretty disturbing/amusing stuff:

Here's the entirety of Selected Ambient Works 85-92, his most critically acclaimed release:

Can also find the full Selected Ambient Works Volume II album here, and I Care Because You Do album here. Doesn't look like the whole of Richard D. James album is up there in one go.
05.01.2013 - 01:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hello? One of the greatest artists ever?
13.01.2013 - 00:20
Uldreth

This type of music won't be popular here hahah.

Aphex Twin has been on my radar for some time now so I will check these stuffs out when I am in the mood.

And since a quick search reveals no IDM topic and I don't wanna create one just for this, here is a nice V/A IDM/ambient collection I have found on bandcamp that so far I have found to be really enchanting:
http://raumklangmusic.bandcamp.com/album/snowflakes-iii

No clue if this is any similiar to AT though.
13.01.2013 - 00:28
IronAngel

His discography seems sort of daunting to dig through. I understand it's very uneven and diverse. That, and it's mostly on EPs or other non-standard releases (compilations and whatever). I have heard the first Selected Ambient Works album and Drukqs, though. I found them very likeable, but for whatever reason haven't listened to him much after I first checked him out and were on a few-month phase.
20.02.2013 - 14:18
Paz

Written by Guest on 05.01.2013 at 01:07

Hello? One of the greatest artists ever?

No doubt about it.

"Selected Ambient Works 85-92" is one of my favorite non-metal albums of all time. Recorded directly to a cassette, some of the tracks when Richard was only 15... He's simply a genius.

PS. This music video for "Window Licker" is also one of my favorites (my Title says it all).
21.02.2013 - 20:28
Uldreth

Written by IronAngel on 13.01.2013 at 00:28

His discography seems sort of daunting to dig through. I understand it's very uneven and diverse. That, and it's mostly on EPs or other non-standard releases (compilations and whatever). I have heard the first Selected Ambient Works album and Drukqs, though. I found them very likeable, but for whatever reason haven't listened to him much after I first checked him out and were on a few-month phase.

I listened to the first Selected Ambient Works by now too. It is REALLY good but for some reason I get the same thing - I liked it a LOT but I don't get compelled to listen many times again.
22.08.2014 - 04:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 04:53
Ilham
Giant robot
Hmm. It's always a love/hate situation between Aphex Twin and me. We'll see.
22.08.2014 - 05:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I try to keep to his standard full-lengths - the other stuff is just too much work for me. The Selected albums are both incredible though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 11:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
September?! I wish more artists would do this. Keep news of new releases quiet and then spring them on people right before it's released.
22.08.2014 - 17:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 22.08.2014 at 11:51
September?! I wish more artists would do this. Keep news of new releases quiet and then spring them on people right before it's released.

Seriously though. I lose interest immediately/forget about it completely when a band announces an album slated for a release two years from now or something ridiculous. And then they "hype" it with snippets and previews and then a stream of a song or two and then people start getting their early reviews in and then it leaks early and you download it and listen and it's like... what the hell was the point of all that.
----
22.08.2014 - 17:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.08.2014 at 17:34

Seriously though. I lose interest immediately/forget about it completely when a band announces an album slated for a release two years from now or something ridiculous. And then they "hype" it with snippets and previews and then a stream of a song or two and then people start getting their early reviews in and then it leaks early and you download it and listen and it's like... what the hell was the point of all that.

Yep. Hype is not always a good thing.
23.08.2014 - 22:56
Paz

Fuck to the yeah! My body is ready.
05.09.2014 - 21:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nu trak

19.09.2014 - 01:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
It's here! Not going to give an opinion as I would be obviously biased by the hype. Just listen to it.
26.09.2014 - 11:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's not bad. I think Safe-ex Twin would be a good way to describe it.
26.09.2014 - 23:10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 26.09.2014 at 11:26

It's not bad. I think Safe-ex Twin would be a good way to describe it.

Completely agreed. Doesn't really stand up against the old albums, but it's nice enough I guess.