01. Two-Pound Torch
02. Shag Harbour's Visitors
03. Red-Skinned Scapegoat
04. Damned Draft Dodgers
05. Amputated Enigma
06. The Golden Square Mile
07. Ominous
08. Cleansing The Hosts

Purposefully and emphatically self-titled, Cryptopsy return with their clear message of intent; Cryptopsy.

Four years ago the death metal world was stunned at the modern direction this pioneering, underground brutal death act had taken with The Unspoken King. Either band mastermind Flo Mounier has changed his mind as readily as he changed the band four years ago, or his gamble just didn't pay off and left only with dissatisfied fans had no real option but to resurrect the Cryptopsy death machine synonymous with the name. Either way, you could say Cryptopsy are back.

Cryptopsy have never been a bland death metal band churning out mindless blastbeats; there has always been a strange captivating aspect to their brutal chaos courtesy of Flo's insanely talented limbs and the technical ability of the band. The Unspoken King elevated the band's sound out of the underground, but compromised the brutal death metal with deathcore and a few terrible clean vocals. Now with Cryptopsy we are treated to yet another crisp sounding, clearly produced death metal album, but this time the deathcore and clean vocals find themselves being exchanged for brutality and more of a technical death metal feel.

Curiously then, Cryptopsy is more like a mixture of Whisper Supremacy and the good parts of The Unspoken King; a mash-up of the classic Cryptopsy blast-fest and the clean and modern Cryptopsy. Either way you look at it, Cryptopsy is the best result anyone disappointed four years ago could have hoped for.

Vocalist Matt McGachy on his second Cryptopsy release now sounds much improved. His vocals are far from one-directional, and although still no Lord Worm in the death growl department, his vocals no longer stick out like a sore thumb and have turned into one of the band's good assets. The rest of the band sound tight together with each impressive explosive section spear-headed by the man behind the drum kit. The album does contain one or two infrequent deathcore-style riffs and modern elements, but instead of the album being swamped by them - a great balance has been struck between the classic and the modern that not only compliments each other but keeps the death metal fresh and dynamic.

Cryptopsy is a death metal album that sounds fresh, modern, technical and brutal all in one. It might not have been an easy few years for Cryptopsy fans, but you can dust off your Cryptopsy shirt and be proud to be seen wearing it in public again.

-

Death metal
Self-Released
Canada
Length: 34:53

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 14.09.2012 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 48   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 489 users
14.09.2012 - 22:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.09.2012 at 22:10
like looking at a car wreck.

Awful, example... Those are fun.

Also... Man, if you get annoyed by those comments, shit dude. I always thought this forum was so vanilla compared to the senseless arguments you get from so many other forums.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.09.2012 - 22:24
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.09.2012 at 22:16

Written by Tristus Scriptor on 14.09.2012 at 22:10
like looking at a car wreck.

Awful, example... Those are fun.

Also... Man, if you get annoyed by those comments, shit dude. I always thought this forum was so vanilla compared to the senseless arguments you get from so many other forums.

Heh. I meant like looking for real mangled corpses in a fresh car wreck. Anyway, to be quite honest...I realized that I'd have to stand up for myself just posting what I said...I even facepalmed (as the kiddies say) myself, just letting it happen. Yet, you're right, other sites (especially Pootube) got my tolerance down. But really, I don't consider it a forum, and- like I said- I simply like reading Baz's reviews, amongst a handful of others. I just decided to stop submitting mine (which is mildly another reason for my lack of tolerance). sorry for being a pot and calling the kettle black, but I just can't stop my fingers sometimes....(Jeez...I'm seeing a lack of self-control today! LOL.)
15.09.2012 - 00:52
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Tried to read this thread, but the comments gave me cancer
15.09.2012 - 01:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dangerboner on 15.09.2012 at 00:52

Tried to read this thread, but the comments gave me cancer

Listen to the album then, it might cure your cancer or something. I thought it was pretty nice.... Not wonderful but in a safe 7-8 scale of goodness. I really liked the jazzy section somewhere in the middle of the album I think. Also... Is it me or have you been away for a long time?
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.09.2012 - 03:03
Mattybu

Not even sure what to think of this, might pick it up to fit in with the cool kids but it's hard to be excited about a band this unremarkable
15.09.2012 - 03:51
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Listening now and I like it. Not their best, but I'm going to buy it for sure. The comments in this thread are still annoying , but any Cryptopsy thread on any site generally turn to shit.

Definitely not as technical as I expected, but still better than TUK.
23.09.2012 - 22:49
Blackhand

This album is better than the last one, but not really anything special. I was really hoping for something more like "One was Not". That album fucking crushes.
26.09.2012 - 12:27
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.09.2012 at 21:17

Written by Oaken on 14.09.2012 at 20:50
None So Vile's awesomeness is a fact.

Bullshit. Nothing related to tastes in art is fact.

I know, I know. I was just "fanboying"
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
26.09.2012 - 12:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Oaken on 26.09.2012 at 12:27

I know, I know. I was just "fanboying"

I know, I know. I was just smartassing
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.09.2012 - 16:21
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Grey Wind on 14.09.2012 at 10:50

Bleh, not even close to None So Vile !

Dude think about what you're saying... None So vile is one of the few legendary albums in death metal today.. I doubt any bands even Cryptopsy themselves could even come close to None So Vile.. We don't get to see many None So Vile in a lifetime, luckily we lived in that era and rejoiced every moment of it. And after all how many vocalist do you think can match Lord Worm lest alone surpass him. So its highly improbable that we'd get to see another None So Vile again. An its no point comparing to it. This album is generic at best, good thing though they didn't made another crap like Unspoken King.
28.09.2012 - 13:03
Grey Wind

Written by Maxx666 on 27.09.2012 at 16:21

Dude think about what you're saying... None So vile is one of the few legendary albums in death metal today.. I doubt any bands even Cryptopsy themselves could even come close to None So Vile.. We don't get to see many None So Vile in a lifetime, luckily we lived in that era and rejoiced every moment of it. And after all how many vocalist do you think can match Lord Worm lest alone surpass him. So its highly improbable that we'd get to see another None So Vile again. An its no point comparing to it. This album is generic at best, good thing though they didn't made another crap like Unspoken King.

Yeah I guess you are right. I just don't like generic DM.
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
01.10.2012 - 22:03
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Grey Wind on 28.09.2012 at 13:03

Written by Maxx666 on 27.09.2012 at 16:21

Yeah I guess you are right. I just don't like generic DM.

Me neither....!
01.10.2012 - 22:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Maxx666 on 01.10.2012 at 22:03

Me neither....!

and yet you think Cryptopsy is great? talk about generic brutal death, damn skippy.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2012 - 21:12
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.10.2012 at 22:19

Written by Maxx666 on 01.10.2012 at 22:03

Me neither....!

and yet you think Cryptopsy is great? talk about generic brutal death, damn skippy.

I said Cryptopsy were great, and no one can deny that. But that was till Once was Not, after that we lost our beloved Cryptopsy to mainstream generic junk that it is at present
24.10.2012 - 22:12
Jon Levasseur

JON LEVASSEUR NO LONGER IN CRYPTOPSY

Hey everyone!
Jon Levasseur here and once again, plain and simple, I left Cryptopsy a month ago. From the start, this was the plan for me as I just wanted to do one last album with the band.
Even though I had left the band several years before, I was hurt after hearing "The Unspoken King" for the first time. I always was proud to say I played in Cryptopsy but at that point, I felt all the hard work I put into the band over the years (along side band members) was obliterated in the blink of an eye; a difficult pill to swallow. From my perspective, the idea for this new album was to do one last record touching every era of the band, namely from "Blasphemy made Flesh" to "And then you'll Beg", so the fans could at least have one last real Cryptopsy album and the most important thing: TUK not being the last entry in the book of the band's history! Hopefully, this new record will act as a soothing balm on the wounds from TUK, at least for me it will!!!

Before I go, thanx to present band members for putting up with me for another album, great job guys and we did good!! I want to thank everybody who gave this self-titled album a listen and thanx to the fans for all the kind words following my return. It definitely boosted my motivation in the writing process so my part on the album is dedicated to you: the fans! Hope you enjoy and Cryptopsy will be touring the world so don't miss them when they pass through!!! Cheers!

Jon Levasseur
29.10.2012 - 05:32
Void Eater
Account deleted
Wait is this actually John Levasseur? If so, can you sign my profile?
02.11.2012 - 17:25
Nemo Atkins

Written by Guest on 29.10.2012 at 05:32

Wait is this actually John Levasseur? If so, can you sign my profile?

Looks like it was: he's not on the current lineup section on Wikipedia or Metal-Archieves. He's still with them on their MySpace, though...

I'm not normally a death metal fan, btw: just happened to be bored and found the statement above.
24.12.2012 - 20:34
Rating: 8
Opethian

The True definition of Redemption. This is sheer brutality! IMO the closest thing that they delivered since 'None So Vile'. Lord Worm is Pleased

Hits total: 11065 | This month: 14