Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Part Ways With Singer Anette Olzon

Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company. The band is in the middle of a North American tour with Kamelot and faces yet another line-up change.

Full statement from the band and Anette Olzon: "Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex-After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone. We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together."

Elize Ryd (Amaranthe) and Alissa White-Gluz (The Agonist) stepped in for Anette this past Friday night (September 28th) at the Ogden Theatre, Denver, because Olzon was forced to spend the night at a local hospital. The singer later stated on her blog: "I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine."

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 01.10.2012 by Tristam

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 131   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 864 users
01.10.2012 - 18:42
IronAngel

Pfft, just when I was going to submit my first piece of news.
01.10.2012 - 18:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by IronAngel on 01.10.2012 at 18:42

Pfft, just when I was going to submit my first piece of news.

lol There's always more news to submit
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.10.2012 - 18:48
Yellax

Hahaha...what the fuck?

You know, I really liked this line up and I thought that she was a perfect fit for Nightwish. Floor is a great vocalist though and I loved her in After Forever. That sounds like a great replacement. Maybe it will be permanent.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
01.10.2012 - 18:48
BudDa

Was she fired? The band usually writes some kinda letter firing you when you are in..i don't know..Brazil, Argentina, Greece..erm Hospital? Was it the case here?
This is such frustrating news. It says everything and nothing! What does
Quote:
In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.
even mean?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
01.10.2012 - 18:50
PocketMetal

I respect her but her voice was absolutely annoying for the most part . Floor is like 10x better
I wonder who will be the permanent replacement .
01.10.2012 - 18:52
ANGEL REAPER

YES! hahaha
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.10.2012 - 19:01
Yellax

I think that she was fired and this was not amicable at all. There is a dead giveaway with this: "I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine."

This: "In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover" smells like BULLSHIT.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
01.10.2012 - 19:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Dada dada dada da daaaaaaah......Tarja will now be back. Fuck yeah!
01.10.2012 - 19:04
saiki

I'm very curious how Floor Jansen sounds with Nightwish. Could be an interesting match!
01.10.2012 - 19:06
Risto
Wandering Midget
She indeed did come off as a bit self-righteous. Like it was better to have a club full of disappointed fans than being fronted by replacement singers :
01.10.2012 - 19:09
Nemo Atkins

The fuck? This sounds almost exactly like what happened to Iced Earth!
01.10.2012 - 19:12
D.T. Metal

And I was present at the Denver show when all of this happened.
SOLD OUT venue, by the way, and before Nightwish even started; two guys came out and stated that Annette is sick and in the hospital and that there were two choices for the remainder of the evening: Cancel the gig; or have Elize and Alissa with the help of the audience [and they said that] do a revised set.
Of course nobody wanted the gig to be cancelled and it actually worked out pretty good.
Backed up right now, but review and pics will follow later this week .
01.10.2012 - 19:21
D.T. Metal

Written by Risto on 01.10.2012 at 19:06

She indeed did come off as a bit self-righteous. Like it was better to have a club full of disappointed fans than being fronted by replacement singers :

well,...to further illustrate your point! The tour traveled with 4 (four!) big ass nightliners (tourbuses) and mind you, only Kamelot and Nightwish were on this tour. Thinking there might be an opener at the gig, I did ask and was told the following:

1 tourbus = Kamelot plus their crew
1 tourbus = Nightwish
1 tourbus = Nightwish crew
1 tourbus = ANETTE ALONE
01.10.2012 - 19:23
Unhealer
Eclecticist
So much win. Next month they are playing in my town, now that Floor will be there there is no chance I'll miss it

If they choose another pseudo-operatic vocalist as permanent replacement, they are definitely pussies.
01.10.2012 - 19:31
Enissa

OMG, that's really shocking!!! anyway, Floor is great, I really hope she gets a permanent status as a vocalist...
01.10.2012 - 19:33
Golden Wing

Incredible! simply yesterday i broke a vow and checked a couple of live videos with Anette for the first time in my life (aye, i could not accept her presence in nightwish for all these years), and today she's kicked out! Welcome Floor! i love her voice, no matter in which band
01.10.2012 - 19:43
Ernis
狼獾
Oh crap! I wish this was just a bad dream...

They were doing really great together and I was hoping for at least 5 or more albums with Anette. Crikey... I was even hoping for a duet of Anette and Tarja one day. Hell yeah... mayb they can organise a duo one day...

Floor is not bad but I fear they might drift back to a pseudo-operatic style. But if they really want opera, they should get Melissa Ferlaak once and for all. If there ever was any vocalist born for that band, it was Melissa.

...the hell...
01.10.2012 - 19:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Wow... some news indeed
----
loves 小巫
01.10.2012 - 20:00
TemplarLS

The band will be better without her!
01.10.2012 - 20:07
Byners

Well... That was awkward.
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
01.10.2012 - 20:16
Surm

Realy good news, past 2 albums were dissapointing
01.10.2012 - 20:17
0rpheus

Great news!
Floor's voice would fit more.
Written by Unhealer on 01.10.2012 at 19:23

If they choose another pseudo-operatic vocalist as permanent replacement, they are definitely pussies.

They are already since the first moment they decided to work with Anette. To me it was enough to stop listening to them.
----
I would prefer not to.
01.10.2012 - 20:18
Pazu

I really really want to feel sorry. I really do. But I just can't. Somehow this news makes me happy. :/
01.10.2012 - 20:23
fenchik

Good news! Love After Forever and i think Floor will sing better "old nightwish"
01.10.2012 - 20:26
Lit.
Account deleted
Floor Jensen... wasn't she on KMFDM's new one?
01.10.2012 - 20:40
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
YES!!!!
Now I can finally listen to Nightwish again, that is if they get a good singer now. Anette was a terrible fit for the band...

Floor is perfect, I hope they just keep her on as a permanent member!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
01.10.2012 - 20:58
Milena
gloom cookie
In the light of all the drama that's going on in all corners of the internet I frequent, I just have to post this:

(the left reads "Kamelot chills", MS shrunk my picture)
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.10.2012 - 21:01
Baz Anderson

If Anette would rather Nightwish cancelled a show instead of the band performing with two different singers instead, I think that says all we need to know about her. Good riddance.
01.10.2012 - 21:01
Ap46

Ok, that's shit. First of all, Floor it's just a temporary patch, so they can continue with the tour.. Let's wait, and stop that laughable comments of joy.
01.10.2012 - 21:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Sounds to me as if Anette was fired for the exactly same reason Tarja was fired: She became a diva who viewed herself as being more important than the band as a whole.

Hits total: 19207 | This month: 26