Metal Storm logo
Shining

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 19.05.2006 - 07:00
Suicidal Black Metal baby...

one of the most obscure bands on earth... passionate, dense, suffocationg, fullfilled by despair... their debut album is my favourite followed by The Eerie Cold...

what do you expect for their next? the chapter V is released this year...
02.03.2008 - 19:03
stigma77
Account deleted
The music is good but all that photos are kind of stupid!
02.03.2008 - 19:04
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.03.2008 at 18:50

And a question that has nothing to do with Shining... what means "tbh"? o.o

lol.. it means to be honest.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.03.2008 - 19:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Damnated on 02.03.2008 at 19:04

Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.03.2008 at 18:50

And a question that has nothing to do with Shining... what means "tbh"? o.o

lol.. it means to be honest.

Jajaja Ok... I'm an idiot when it comes to that kind of writing
Damm.. I wanted to download some songs of Shining... but the computer sucks xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2008 - 16:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Buy a new computer. You won't regret it. (or buy the two latest albums, you won't regret that either).

Since word got out that Shining is going to record a 6th album, I have begun listening to them a lot more. They were always a constant factor in my rotation, but have gotten a lot more plays the last few days. And now that I know King (Gorgoroth) will be the bassplayer, I have started paying even more attention to the bass. And damn. It's so good. It's sooo good. I really, really hope King won't let me down, but I do not have too much trust in him. I have not heard much Gorgoroth, cause I do not like it at all, but when I heard it the bass did not struck me as anything special. So yeah, I'm skeptical.

Further more I hope Kvarforth finds a way of incorporating more non-Black influences/instruments, while keeping a core of Black Metal. I'm not sure if straying away from (Black) Metal would do them any good. Sure, Ulver, Anathema among others did it, but those are completely different bands. Shining without the dark, sinister, nihilistic undertones of Black Metal would simply not be the same. But keep in mind, I completely support their progress, as i think the path they are taking is very interesting, and I hope the next album will be to.

Oh, and just to say it once again: "The Eerie Cold" and "V - Halmstad" are absolutely brilliant, the former one being my favourite album of all time (and has been for quite some time), the latter also ranking somewhere very high in my personal top 10.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.04.2008 - 03:57
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Lucas on 01.04.2008 at 16:18

Buy a new computer. You won't regret it. (or buy the two latest albums, you won't regret that either).

Since word got out that Shining is going to record a 6th album, I have begun listening to them a lot more. They were always a constant factor in my rotation, but have gotten a lot more plays the last few days. And now that I know King (Gorgoroth) will be the bassplayer, I have started paying even more attention to the bass. And damn. It's so good. It's sooo good. I really, really hope King won't let me down, but I do not have too much trust in him. I have not heard much Gorgoroth, cause I do not like it at all, but when I heard it the bass did not struck me as anything special. So yeah, I'm skeptical.

Further more I hope Kvarforth finds a way of incorporating more non-Black influences/instruments, while keeping a core of Black Metal. I'm not sure if straying away from (Black) Metal would do them any good. Sure, Ulver, Anathema among others did it, but those are completely different bands. Shining without the dark, sinister, nihilistic undertones of Black Metal would simply not be the same. But keep in mind, I completely support their progress, as i think the path they are taking is very interesting, and I hope the next album will be to.

Oh, and just to say it once again: "The Eerie Cold" and "V - Halmstad" are absolutely brilliant, the former one being my favourite album of all time (and has been for quite some time), the latter also ranking somewhere very high in my personal top 10.

Mate you'll be interested to know that Kvarforth has also parted ways with their drummer! There was no hard feelings, he just has obligations that inhibit him from touring as much as the rest of the band can. I've already posted the news, just waiting for it to be approved. Until then I've taken the liberty of Copying the MySpace Blog entry [I swear, that site's gonna take over the fvckin' world! It scares me]:

"New Drummer

Due to Jarle Bybergs current situation we have decided that we cannot go ahead with merely him in our ranks. This has nothing to do with him leaving Urgehal last week or anything like that, but he simply haven't got time enough to tour as much as we do, nor spending month after month in the studio.

Therefore, we have now decided to let Schill who accompanied us on the Thank God For Niklas Kvarforth tour last year become a permanent member of SHINING.

Welcome my little precious... / Kvarforth, on behalf of SHINING."

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
02.04.2008 - 14:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Oh, didn't know that yet. Don't think it matters that much though, to be honest.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.04.2008 - 18:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Lucas on 01.04.2008 at 16:18

I'm gonna do the last thing..
We don't have so much money right now ^^U

But yeah.. those albums are very good... and like you, I really love the non-metal influences.
But they still keeping the band very black.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.04.2008 - 18:31
Warman
Erotic Stains
Currently listening through all their releases again and I agree with Nervel, the bass is simply amazing!
----
02.04.2008 - 18:38
W-Lash
Metal Master
Usually The Darkroom Sessions is forgotten.
Doesn't anyone like this one? Yeah, i know that it's a compilation but songs sound in a different way...
Svart Industriell Olycka (probably the best song by Shining) is brilliant in this version.

Written by FOOCK Nam on 01.01.2008 at 14:04

I wonder why they are suicidal black metal but they have their name "shining". Is that to make irony like the case of Lifelover

Maybe it's so or maybe not. But at least it's more depressive stuff than Lifelover is (what's so depressive or suicidal about this pop band?).
02.04.2008 - 18:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I always regarded Lifelover as 'twisted', not depressive.
----

02.04.2008 - 19:09
W-Lash
Metal Master
Written by Lucas on 02.04.2008 at 18:58

I always regarded Lifelover as 'twisted', not depressive.

Ok, that's good.
But there is plenty of faggots tagging this band as "black metal" and "depressive" on last.fm page.
Possibly Lifelover has some black metal songs (but i really doubt about that) but i had no luck to hear them while I was playing random songs by Lifelover.
08.04.2008 - 16:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just love the "UUUHHHHH" in the intro of "Låt oss ta allt från varandra", it's so fucking Thomas Gabriel Fischer of Celtic Frost! It's one of their best songs too IMO, otherwise I'm a total sucker for "Through Corridors of Oppression", too bad it's not in Swedish. The atmosphere is just so much greater with the Swedish lyrics.
----
08.04.2008 - 17:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 08.04.2008 at 16:30

I just love the "UUUHHHHH" in the intro of "Låt oss ta allt från varandra", it's so fucking Thomas Gabriel Fischer of Celtic Frost! It's one of their best songs too IMO, otherwise I'm a total sucker for "Through Corridors of Oppression", too bad it's not in Swedish. The atmosphere is just so much greater with the Swedish lyrics.

I also love that song [it was the first song I hearded from the band] and the girl who's crying sounds great too.
The main riff from the hole song is catchy as fuck...

I really want to buy that album.. but I'm a bit broke right now. The song "Neka Morgondagen" is also very good, especially the solo on the minute 2:50 or something like that...
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.04.2008 - 22:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
And the intro of "Besvikelsens dystra monotoni" almost makes me cry, 'cuz it makes me think of the summer holidays. Well, every Swede must think of that when they hear that tune I guess.

Edit: The song just made me shiver... a great sign or what?
----
08.04.2008 - 22:13
belisarius
i'm planning to buy an album but what one should i take? eerie cold or halmstad?
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
08.04.2008 - 22:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Both.

I think you should start with The Eerie Cold. Some people are turned off by the vocals on Halmstad, so The Eerie Cold would be your best bet. If you do not like it, Shining is most probably not for you, if you do like it, you can always check out Halmstad as well.
----

09.04.2008 - 17:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 08.04.2008 at 22:08

And the intro of "Besvikelsens dystra monotoni" almost makes me cry, 'cuz it makes me think of the summer holidays. Well, every Swede must think of that when they hear that tune I guess.

Not me.. that's for sure xD
I don't like the summer that much xD... it's a ok-season.
But hey.. I'm not swede, maybe that's why xD

Yeah.. that intro kick ass.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2008 - 17:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.04.2008 at 17:36

Hehe, maybe that's why then. But every "true" swede must think of summer when they hear "Idas sommarvisa"!
----
09.04.2008 - 17:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 09.04.2008 at 17:52

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.04.2008 at 17:36

Hehe, maybe that's why then. But every "true" swede must think of summer when they hear "Idas sommarvisa"!

When I started to learning swedish... The teachers put that song and all the guys sang it.. and I was like O_____O"

I wanted to take suicide that day xD
it was more depressing that any song by shining.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2008 - 18:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
After "Den blomstertid nu kommer" that's the most summery of tunes ever!
----
14.04.2008 - 16:59
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
This is strange but no matter how many times I listen to this album I cant like it. I think the album sucks and is probably their worst album so far. It is just totally boring and nothing new compared to their other albums. The ONLY song from the album that I think is good is the last one: "Neka morgondagen"
----
14.04.2008 - 18:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Azhidahak on 14.04.2008 at 16:59

This is strange but no matter how many times I listen to this album I cant like it. I think the album sucks and is probably their worst album so far. It is just totally boring and nothing new compared to their other albums. The ONLY song from the album that I think is good is the last one: "Neka morgondagen"

I know this is totally off topic... but are you back man? I remember you from my very very very early MS years, then you dissapeared.
----
14.04.2008 - 22:28
Sunioj
I checked out Shining - II the other night, and it's definitely up there with Halmstad and Eerie Cold. III sounded really phucking boring to me, if this is the way I feel, the is 'I' any use checking out?
14.04.2008 - 22:54
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
Written by Warman on 14.04.2008 at 18:16

I know this is totally off topic... but are you back man? I remember you from my very very very early MS years, then you dissapeared.

Haha, hey dude. Its cool that you remember me. I havent seen all that many members from the old days (2003-2004) except for the elite/mod/admins.

Ive actually been away for 2-3 years now mainly working and playing poker very seriously. Ive played poker for an average of 6-8 hours per day every day for almost 4 years now (now I only play average 3 hours/day). So thats why Ive been inactive. I also listened to so much doom metal those days that I got into a period when I felt I had heard every underground album that came out those days and I Just got a bit tired of it all. So Ive been experiementing with a lot of different/new music. Anything from chillout, dark ambient, post-rock to whatever you can imagine (anything except hip hop and rap). But now after 2-3 years I guess Im back again. So... glad to see you =)
----
30.07.2008 - 22:25
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
well, unfortunately their lyrics are in Swedish (yes, it suits the music better for being more brootal) but they've few english songs too.
their vocalist is truely MAD
here's part of Kvarforth's interview:
source: The Metal Observer

Q- Concerning your lyrics, they are as always very depressive and suicidal. Why? And what's your own position towards suicide and self-mutilation?

K- They are all a part of the wider concept, myself being very fascinated by suicide, self-mutilation and other forms of abuse, one could almost call it an fixation, Also, I feel that these particular topics are great in use of manipulating the listener as SHINING is based around fully realistic subjects, and not the ordinary forest-demon-battle-shit. The listener can most likely recognise himself/herself in the lyrics thereby hopefully following the code of correct decisions. Even though it would never be a possibility, the highest goal must be to have all our listeners mutilating themselves under the influence of our works, preferably fucking up the other relevant parts of their lives as well?

Q- Honestly, do you think you will commit suicide some day? If yes, what way will you choose? If not, in which way would you enjoy dying?

K- The will to end my life passes through me every day, though I must act as the emissary, thereby my death would mean failure and I must say it can be quite thrilling experimenting on basics on how bad a human being really can feel before completely vanishing in madness? I have always been childishly interested in the rope. Enjoy dying? It might be comfortable at the time present, however, I wish my death to be truly unpleasant?

Q- Else, if some weak-minded "fan" of yours commits suicide, how will you feel about it?

K- As said, that is the main goal of both the band and label, so the answer is quite obvious - it would be great! And I would as well become more motivated to perform.

----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
31.07.2008 - 18:16
VPeter
One of the reasons why I hate this god awfull sh*t pile of a band.
31.07.2008 - 20:32
TheBigRossowski
Written by VPeter on 31.07.2008 at 18:16

You can be mentally unstable and still appreciate the music! The Eerie Cold is a killer album, I hate how they added bitch from Prozac nation into Halmstad though.... Ricci, you whore!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
31.07.2008 - 21:00
VPeter
Written by TheBigRossowski on 31.07.2008 at 20:32

You can be mentally unstable and still appreciate the music! The Eerie Cold is a killer album, I hate how they added bitch from Prozac nation into Halmstad though.... Ricci, you whore!

I can appreciate Funeral Doom, Doom Death, Trad doom but I feel nothing but annoyance with emo black metal bands as Shining.
02.08.2008 - 00:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 30.07.2008 at 22:25

Q- Else, if some weak-minded "fan" of yours commits suicide, how will you feel about it?

K- As said, that is the main goal of both the band and label, so the answer is quite obvious - it would be great! And I would as well become more motivated to perform.

"...and get both the label and myself sued into bankruptcy!"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.08.2008 - 10:13
Swarrrmed
Account deleted

What, so you're judging the bands music by the musicians, not the music?

Written by VPeter on 31.07.2008 at 21:00

Written by TheBigRossowski on 31.07.2008 at 20:32

I can appreciate Funeral Doom, Doom Death, Trad doom but I feel nothing but annoyance with emo black metal bands as Shining.

Emo is a sub genre of Hardcore Punk, it started out as Emo-Violence. I don't think you should talk about something you don't know.