Metal Storm logo
Shining

Original post

Posted by , 19.05.2006 - 07:00
Suicidal Black Metal baby...

one of the most obscure bands on earth... passionate, dense, suffocationg, fullfilled by despair... their debut album is my favourite followed by The Eerie Cold...

what do you expect for their next? the chapter V is released this year...
21.01.2009 - 18:37
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Written by TheBigRossowski on 21.01.2009 at 14:52

Written by Guest on 21.01.2009 at 10:43

Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.01.2009 at 15:00

Anyways, fans inflicting injuries onto themselves at the show...wow. It IS just like Alice Cooper said every band trying to be more evil than the last one, except in this case with the fans! I have the shoes too by the way..

"OK"

Why did you put quotations around the word OKAY? I don't really have these Britney Spears shoes, I'm the Dude...man, I wear sandals..and what not.

I would rather see Shining with Koldbrann in Darmstadt, but that's exactly on my wife's birthday. Shit.

Why not go there with you wife? It would be the best birthday ever.
21.01.2009 - 22:24
TheBigRossowski

Written by John Barleycorn on 21.01.2009 at 18:37

Written by TheBigRossowski on 21.01.2009 at 14:52

Written by Guest on 21.01.2009 at 10:43

Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.01.2009 at 15:00

Anyways, fans inflicting injuries onto themselves at the show...wow. It IS just like Alice Cooper said every band trying to be more evil than the last one, except in this case with the fans! I have the shoes too by the way..

"OK"

Why did you put quotations around the word OKAY? I don't really have these Britney Spears shoes, I'm the Dude...man, I wear sandals..and what not.

I would rather see Shining with Koldbrann in Darmstadt, but that's exactly on my wife's birthday. Shit.

Why not go there with you wife? It would be the best birthday ever.

She hates Shining and was upset after the first time we saw them together. She said he's just fucking with people. That's true....he does seem a bit manipulative, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not yet anyways...

Kvarforth himself isn't the issue though, Shining is important.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.01.2009 - 05:04
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I ordered Halmstad almost 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't showed up Amazon.com has let me down
----
Coldgrits
24.01.2009 - 11:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by -DC-002- on 24.01.2009 at 05:04

I ordered Halmstad almost 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't showed up Amazon.com has let me down

Hey, me too. I ordered some albums from the .co.uk department but so far, nothing. And they said they would arrive yesterday at max.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.01.2009 - 15:22
Ascendant187

I recently bought The Eerie Cold and Halmstad and loved both. I don't know which album I prefer however. Halmstad seems a little more progressive but the drumming seems more intense (and fun) on The Eerie Cold; it certainly sticks out for me. I have to admit I laughed at the section on (I think) The Eerie Cold where Kvarforth does that weird growl. What's that all about?
24.01.2009 - 18:23
TheBigRossowski

Written by Ascendant187 on 24.01.2009 at 15:22

I recently bought The Eerie Cold and Halmstad and loved both. I don't know which album I prefer however. Halmstad seems a little more progressive but the drumming seems more intense (and fun) on The Eerie Cold; it certainly sticks out for me. I have to admit I laughed at the section on (I think) The Eerie Cold where Kvarforth does that weird growl. What's that all about?

Which section are you talking about? He always makes weird sounds. The song Eerie Cold is just Sean Penn in 'She's So Lovely'. The whole concept of living backwards is quite interesting. I think I've already made my case on that though?
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.01.2009 - 18:52
Ascendant187

Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.01.2009 at 18:23

Written by Ascendant187 on 24.01.2009 at 15:22

Which section are you talking about? He always makes weird sounds. The song Eerie Cold is just Sean Penn in 'She's So Lovely'. The whole concept of living backwards is quite interesting. I think I've already made my case on that though?

I'd have to listen to the album again to figure out which song it is. It's during a mellower point where he starts with a wail of sorts that he stretches out and allows his voice to change drastically, to a point where it kind of sounds like its a retard singing. Not the most politically correct way to put it, I know, but yeah. I imagine that's no help at all. Sorry.
28.01.2009 - 15:57
Ascendant187

Okay, I've been listening through the album again and have located the song. Its "Nagonting Ar Jaeuligt Fel" (apologies if I've written it incorrectly). The weird growl/wail I'm talking about that I honestly couldn't help chuckling at upon first hearing it starts at 4:40 and happens a few times over. Having said that I really like the vocals... just I sure as shit didn't expect it, y'know?
29.01.2009 - 15:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ascendant187 on 28.01.2009 at 15:57

Okay, I've been listening through the album again and have located the song. Its "Nagonting Ar Jaeuligt Fel" (apologies if I've written it incorrectly). The weird growl/wail I'm talking about that I honestly couldn't help chuckling at upon first hearing it starts at 4:40 and happens a few times over. Having said that I really like the vocals... just I sure as shit didn't expect it, y'know?

Jajjaaj yeah.. it's a really weird growl but it suits the music so it's ok.

But my favorite "Kvarforth-moment" on that album is in the first song "I Och Med Insikt Skall Du Förgå" around the minute 4:40 when he ges "AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh..." and then a fucking catchy riff comes and he screams "Uhhh.... C'mon uhhhh!!!"

it's priceless but I really like it a lot with the catchy riffs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.01.2009 - 17:46
Ascendant187

Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.01.2009 at 15:40

Written by Ascendant187 on 28.01.2009 at 15:57

Jajjaaj yeah.. it's a really weird growl but it suits the music so it's ok.

But my favorite "Kvarforth-moment" on that album is in the first song "I Och Med Insikt Skall Du Förgå" around the minute 4:40 when he ges "AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh..." and then a fucking catchy riff comes and he screams "Uhhh.... C'mon uhhhh!!!"

it's priceless but I really like it algon with the catchy riffs.

Yeah, that moment is actually pretty cool although slightly cheesy. I love the music just sometimes I think what the fuck was the guy on at the time of recording, y'know? Still it's great music.
29.01.2009 - 19:08
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.01.2009 at 15:40

[..] and then a fucking catchy riff comes and he screams "Uhhh.... C'mon uhhhh!!!"

That "uhh" is a real chef-d'oeuvre.
And I like the crying girl in "Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra" from V - Halmstad too, although it's my favourite song anyway, the girl keeps it interesting.

But Shining has a one big problem - names of the each song are too long/difficult to remember, besides, I can't write even "Åttiosextusenfyrahundra" if I want to (yeah, I probably would write it here anyway, 'cause I like this track a lot). And someone said that DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) is the most difficult word (in Latvian it's only a one word) he have ever learned.
Sure, I can't do anything about it, it's Swedish.
29.01.2009 - 19:46
ForeverDarkWoods

If you want to write the name of that particular song, it's just the number 86400 spelled out with letters, and writing it as 86400 wouldn't be wrong (I believe I've written it as such).

Shining is also one of the few bands that can have lyrics in Swedish without sounding cheesy as hell, and some of their Swedish lyrics are second only to the masters of depressive Swedish bm, Woods Of Infinity.

The crying girl in Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra (meaning "let's take everything away from each other") is also a masterpiece. I didn't like Halmstad much at first, but it grew on me, and I started to realize how good it was after a few listens. It's different, but it's also good.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
30.01.2009 - 22:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 29.01.2009 at 19:08

That "uhh" is a real chef-d'oeuvre.
And I like the crying girl in "Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra" from V - Halmstad too, although it's my favourite song anyway, the girl keeps it interesting.

Those "Uhhh" really make me gay for a couple of seconds....
And that saong is actually m first contac with the band for mabe a year ago or something. And is still one of my favorite songs y the band. Really brutal but at the same time catchy and depressive.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.01.2009 - 22:08
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.01.2009 at 22:03

And that saong is actually m first contac with the band for mabe a year ago or something. And is still one of my favorite songs y the band. Really brutal but at the same time catchy and depressive.

Not really that surprising that it was your first contact with them considering it's the first song on their myspace (or at least it used to be, haven't checked it in ages).

It's a great little song though.

I'd also like to issue a generaal reccomendation to check out Woods Of Infinity to anyone who likes Shinings weirder and more experimental moments. That band is nothing short of genius.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
30.01.2009 - 22:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.01.2009 at 22:08

[Not really that surprising that it was your first contact with them considering it's the first song on their myspace (or at least it used to be, haven't checked it in ages).

When I check some band that somebody say to me... Off course the first thing I check is the myspace and at that time everything was surprising
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.01.2009 - 22:14
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.01.2009 at 22:10

[Not really that surprising that it was your first contact with them considering it's the first song on their myspace (or at least it used to be, haven't checked it in ages).

When I check some band that somebody say to me... Off course the first thing I check is the myspace and at that time everything was surprising

The first thing i usually do when I'm gonna check out a band is download an album and listen to it. Except if my this-could-probably-be-crap-and-suck-the-donkey-balls sense is tingling, in which case I'll look for samples first.
----
30.01.2009 - 22:36
Ragana
Rawrcat

Not really that surprising that it was your first contact with them considering it's the first song on their myspace (or at least it used to be, haven't checked it in ages).

It's still the first song. But yeah, I was the one who at first looked into myspace, heard that song and immediately fell in love with it. I think it's the catchiest song in last two Shining albums.

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.01.2009 at 22:14

The first thing i usually do when I'm gonna check out a band is download an album and listen to it.

I think it's a worthless use of time by downloading each album just to check out the band. The same thing as I was searching for some new aggrotech/noise projects today - at first I listened some of those in myspace to make sure I won't download something completely tasteless because it's still a matter of time when do you will get those albums which you are downloading. So I think it's easier to check it all in myspace, although myspace is kinda slow and often a very annoying web page.
And yes, I read the last sentence too.
30.01.2009 - 22:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 30.01.2009 at 22:36

I think it's a worthless use of time by downloading each album just to check out the band. The same thing as I was searching for some new aggrotech/noise projects today - at first I listened some of those in myspace to make sure I won't download something completely tasteless because it's still a matter of time when do you will get those albums which you are downloading. So I think it's easier to check it all in myspace, although myspace is kinda slow and often a very annoying web page.

I agree on that point. I always check myspaces. But those sites suck at times.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.01.2009 - 22:42
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Ragana on 30.01.2009 at 22:36

It's still the first song. But yeah, I was the one who at first looked into myspace, heard that song and immediately fell in love with it. I think it's the catchiest song in last two Shining albums.

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.01.2009 at 22:14

The first thing i usually do when I'm gonna check out a band is download an album and listen to it.

I usually download from blogs through Mediafire and such, making me get one album (through me semi-decent internet connection) on <5 minutes. Therefore it's not really a bother. I also use these blogs to do a lot of "blind downloads", in the way that I look at the cover, decide it looks neat and download the album despite never having heard of the band. I've found some awesome stuff that way. I found a Brittish band called Lyrinx for example, bu downloading an EP of theirs called Nihilistic Purity. It turned out to be some of the best depressive black metal there is out there.

So I usually download releases to check out bands, since it takes less than 5 minutes to get an album if you know how.
----
30.01.2009 - 23:03
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.01.2009 at 22:42

So I usually download releases to check out bands, since it takes less than 5 minutes to get an album if you know how.

It's not the "if you know how", but "how great is the speed of your internet connection". Sure, now I understand why it's so easy for you - if I would download albums in lesser time than five minutes, I wouldn't use myspace at all. But for me it takes 10+ minutes - in that time I can type "www.myspace.com", wait until the page loads and even listen to one song.
30.01.2009 - 23:17
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Ragana on 30.01.2009 at 23:03

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.01.2009 at 22:42

It's not the "if you know how", but "how great is the speed of your internet connection". Sure, now I understand why it's so easy for you - if I would download albums in lesser time than five minutes, I wouldn't use myspace at all. But for me it takes 10+ minutes - in that time I can type "www.myspace.com", wait until the page loads and even listen to one song.

My internet connection is semi-decent at the best of times. It also has a tendency not to work properly. If I'm unlucky, it takes up to 45 minutes, which is why I tend to download a fuckton of stuff at the same time as soon as I see any sign of it not acting up and screwing the entire computer over. At least I have cable connection now, so I don't have to sit with the über shitty wireless that breaks down every 30 fucking seconds and is über slow. If you time your downloads to when traffic is low , you can download really fast with only a semi-decent connection. The main reason I like to download whole releases is I don't think you can judge a band based on a single or a pair of songs unless they're either really REALLY good or really REALLY bad. I've discovered I've missed out on a bunch of great bands through the mistake of using myspace to check them out. I also mostly prefer to listen to complete releases instead of just stray songs.
----
30.01.2009 - 23:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Not judge, but only take a superficial look at it. If the band is not in my style or I don't like it at all, I won't listen to it, so I won't judge it too (of course, I can say I didn't like it, but nothing else). If it doesn't sounds as good as I've expected, but it's not bad or I'm just not sure about it, I obviously will try to get an album from this band and listen to it.

Hmm, yeah, it's possible to miss some good bands too, although I've always missed them just because I don't listen to that genre or something. Like Kreator. I've never liked them, but when there came the year 2009 and new "Hordes Of Chaos", I was surprised to find out that it is a fantastic album; how could I let slip Kreator earlier?!
31.01.2009 - 00:04
ForeverDarkWoods

Let me get this straight, you let Kreator slip because you don't listen to thrash? In that case I got to tell you you're seriously missing out on some of the best metal there is (Morbid Saint! ).
----
31.01.2009 - 00:32
Ragana
Rawrcat
Almost no, well, just few bands that aren't so popular as Kreator. I listened to Kreator a year or two years ago, and I didn't like what I heard, so I put them away. And now I'm finally on my way to the planet Earth again... It's just when I've into one genre, like not so long time ago it started with Shining and continued with other more depressive BM bands which somehow guided me to the doom metal again, I can't pay a full attention to other genres. Especially to those I haven't listened much. So yes, I think I'll pass thrash for this time and return to it after a while. Thrash won't disappear anyway.
31.01.2009 - 05:25
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Ok ok, enough Kreator for today...
05.02.2009 - 15:52
RockeRoy

I think they musicaly are ok, but i can't stand the lyrics. i mean what is he trying to prove?? i have seen some interviews with Kvarforth, and there is a lot of contradiction in what he is saying, he says something about that he don't care about any one ore anything, and the next thing he says is that he loves his band and his dog?? i mean usually that wouldn't have bothered me, but when his whole image is is that he don't care and he is so depressive...... and how can a man that depressive don't care about anything, if you don't care about anything you don't get depressive, you get depressive because you care about things like other people and dreams. and when f.eks your dreams seams unattainable then you can get depressive.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
05.02.2009 - 16:16
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by RockeRoy on 05.02.2009 at 15:52

I think they musicaly are ok, but i can't stand the lyrics. i mean what is he trying to prove?? i have seen some interviews with Kvarforth, and there is a lot of contradiction in what he is saying, he says something about that he don't care about any one ore anything, and the next thing he says is that he loves his band and his dog?? i mean usually that wouldn't have bothered me, but when his whole image is is that he don't care and he is so depressive...... and how can a man that depressive don't care about anything, if you don't care about anything you don't get depressive, you get depressive because you care about things like other people and dreams. and when f.eks your dreams seams unattainable then you can get depressive.

What interviews do you have? They don't sound like the one's I've read at all...

Based on the ones I've read, he basically hates humanity and promotes suicide in any way he can. He's also been bragging about how Shining's music has influenced other people to actually do the deed. The reason he promotes suicide is basically because he hates this world and everybody in it. When I've read about him not saying that he cares about stuff, it's stuff like saying that he hates the world and doesn't care what happens to it. Not all of Shining's lyrics are depressive in it's correct meaning either. A lot of them are just hateful or are just glorifying suicide. There is a difference.

I'd say a he doesn't contradict himself too much, but it was kind of gay of him to first disappear, pretend to be dead for six months and then return, still stating either that he was dead, or that he in fact wasn't Kvarforth at all but someone else (when it was obvious it was him).

Besides, most black metal bands have contradicted themselves on a number of occations, just for the sake of being necro. Shining isn't among the worst of these, or even close to being such.
----
05.02.2009 - 17:32
RockeRoy

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 16:16

What interviews do you have? They don't sound like the one's I've read at all...

Based on the ones I've read, he basically hates humanity and promotes suicide in any way he can. He's also been bragging about how Shining's music has influenced other people to actually do the deed. The reason he promotes suicide is basically because he hates this world and everybody in it. When I've read about him not saying that he cares about stuff, it's stuff like saying that he hates the world and doesn't care what happens to it. Not all of Shining's lyrics are depressive in it's correct meaning either. A lot of them are just hateful or are just glorifying suicide. There is a difference.

I'd say a he doesn't contradict himself too much, but it was kind of gay of him to first disappear, pretend to be dead for six months and then return, still stating either that he was dead, or that he in fact wasn't Kvarforth at all but someone else (when it was obvious it was him).

Besides, most black metal bands have contradicted themselves on a number of occations, just for the sake of being necro. Shining isn't among the worst of these, or even close to being such.

Why go around singing about it? why the fuck doesn't he commit suicide him self? sounds like he has no reason to live..
And i agree that moast black metal bands contradict them self, because they don't realy belive in what they are singing about, but for moast black metal bands that is just an image, and they know that we know it. it's like a fucking theater.
Ore what about Slipknot who sitts in interviews with their masks on and tells that they hate comersial bands, ha ha... there is nothing more comersial than masks if you ask me:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
05.02.2009 - 18:08
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by RockeRoy on 05.02.2009 at 17:32

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.02.2009 at 16:16

Why go around singing about it? why the fuck doesn't he commit suicide him self? sounds like he has no reason to live..
And i agree that moast black metal bands contradict them self, because they don't realy belive in what they are singing about, but for moast black metal bands that is just an image, and they know that we know it. it's like a fucking theater.
Ore what about Slipknot who sitts in interviews with their masks on and tells that they hate comersial bands, ha ha... there is nothing more comersial than masks if you ask me:)

I think he was asked that question once and said he uses Shining as a propaganda machine to manipulate other people into comitting suicide. As I said, he's also been bragging about other people having been influenced by Shining's music to commit suicide.

And what you say could pretty much apply to nearly all black metal. Especially the Norwegian second wave bands. There is nobody who ever was as self-contradicting as Euronymous.

"Posers must not have our stuff."
"What? Posers are already getting our stuff?"
"Then we must sell it to them and become well known and commercial to spread the glory of Satan to the mainstream."
----
05.02.2009 - 18:22
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I personally love the way how Kvarforth spills out these wacky claims. Why should the man be consistent? Personal integrity isn't such a great value in music, methinks. A thing that I find especially amusing is his explanation why he drinks urine. According to an interview (I unfortunately can't find the link anymore) he claims that it is part of his everyday transcendence.
Oh, and kissing with Maniac on stage was also very cute.