Metal Storm logo
The First Album That You Ever Were Addicted To

Original post

Posted by Nosurper, 31.10.2012 - 16:29
I was listening to the radio while Hurricane Sandy was pummeling my area and the Monkees came on with "And I Saw Her Face" or whatever the title to that song is. It got me thinking about the very first album that I ever bought and enjoyed growing up as a youngin'. It was Astro Lounge by Smash Mouth. "When the Morning Comes" and a few others were fun songs as a young kid. Just wondering if you guys grew up on anything maybe a bit less hokey.
17.07.2014 - 20:38
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.07.2014 at 16:19

I think the first album I got seriously addicted to and the one I still blast on a regular basis and know nearlyall the lyrics by heart is Acid Bath's debut.
When The Kite String Pops was THE album of my teenage years... And is probably responsible from most of my evolution in terms of music. Before that the metal I listened to was way less abrassive (Opeth was for example the most "dangerous" for me at the time). That's really when I, if I quote the first track, "jumped into the void".

How old were you? Acid Bath seems a bit specific for a young kid. There must have been an album, probably non-metal, you were addicted to before that, and you're not telling us about it .
17.07.2014 - 20:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I call bullshit, Rod. Like a supersized pile of steaming, runny bullshit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.07.2014 - 20:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ilham on 17.07.2014 at 20:38

Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.07.2014 at 16:19

I think the first album I got seriously addicted to and the one I still blast on a regular basis and know nearlyall the lyrics by heart is Acid Bath's debut.
When The Kite String Pops was THE album of my teenage years... And is probably responsible from most of my evolution in terms of music. Before that the metal I listened to was way less abrassive (Opeth was for example the most "dangerous" for me at the time). That's really when I, if I quote the first track, "jumped into the void".

How old were you? Acid bath seems a bit specific for a young kid. There must have been an album, probably non-metal, you were addicted to before that, and you're not telling us about it .

I was 14 at the time, most of the stuff I bought, I listened and enjoyed and all that but never got an effect that made me actually listen to it at least once a day for months. So yeah, it's definitely the first album I got seriously addicted to.

I'm not counting Fantasia as an album. It's a movie although one centered around music. I honestly don't get why it would be hard to believe.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2014 - 21:12
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.07.2014 at 20:47
I was 14 at the time, most of the stuff I bought, I listened and enjoyed and all that but never got an effect that made me actually listen to it at least once a day for months. So yeah, it's definitely the first album I got seriously addicted to.

I'm not counting Fantasia as an album. It's a movie although one centered around music. I honestly don't get why it would be hard to believe.

Someday you'll slip up while I'm telling you about the shit music I listen(ed) to, and you'll go "Oh I was totally addicted to that when I was a kid". I'm going to play the long con and wait for it.

As to the first thing I was addicted to was not really an album. Since original CDs were too expensive to be sold here, we only had bootlegs and shitty tapes. There was that guy in the neighbourhood that had some access to some cds as he'd dj in Spain sometimes, so he used to burn those CDs and sell the copies; as well as make us mixtapes and compilations, for a couple of euros. So the first real complete albums I must have gotten addicted to must have been The Marshall Mathers by you-guys-know-who, and Discovery by Daft Punk.
17.07.2014 - 21:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I just wanna clear my case by saying that my self-steem is low enough that no "hard music making me a badass" story would make me feel any better so I'm not lying. xD

But I did a bad calculation but merely by a year.

I had no metalheads around me where I lived (yes, in Sweden. might sound weird but it isn't when you are in an inmigrant school). Back in Chile I listened to what i got from my sis (4 years older) and my ex-step-brother who was 7 years older than me. So when I was like 7 I listened to what he listened to. So I was really into Metallica and Rammstein at the time (as well as some Rhapsody here and there) but I never owned anything and I always listened what random stuff he or my sis had on. So when I moved (I was 12) my sis who was 16 had a mp3 cd with all the tracks by this cool band called Opeth and she blasted it quite often and got used to it despite being too hard for me at first.

Later on I started buying cds some of which I still enjoy to this day. But i guess I'm taking the word addiction seriously because compared to anything before (not counting Fantasia) I've never listened to tracks in loop so much as when i discovered Acid Bath which was thanks to Metalstorm when i got registered back in 2007 (Yes. I missed one year. I was 15. Sue me) thanks to me being a lurker with too much time on their hands and wanting to learn genres.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.07.2014 - 22:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted