Release date: 8 May 2005
Style: Black metal

Owners:

165 have it
17 want it

Staff review by
Lucas
Rating:
Like many others, my first encounter with the French Deathspell Omega was slightly after the release of Kénôse, their 2005 effort. Despite it not being regarded as a full-length by the bandmembers themselves, this was the release that got them out of the underground and boomed them into the spotlights of Black Metal.

Read more ››
published 07.02.2008 | Comments (24)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 66   Visited by: 410 users
05.11.2012 - 19:08
Rating: 9
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Finally got a physical copy... along with vinyl copies of every other album
23.04.2013 - 07:33
Rating: 10
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Can't stop listening to this. Masterful riffing.
27.01.2014 - 05:24
Desert Father
Brilliant EP. The choir in the first part is bone-chilling.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
27.02.2014 - 11:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I've never seen this masterpiece described so crudely before. I think I'm offended.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.02.2014 - 14:38
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Same here, but you gotta take it from who it comes.
If I force myself through a power metal masterpiece I'd probably end up reacting in a similar way, that's why I don't rate most albums I don't like unless I really feel I have a reason to do it.

BTW, raising this up to a 10, it is truly perfect.
27.02.2014 - 15:54
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by deadone on 27.02.2014 at 06:17

Anyhow it's decent if completely stock standard Black Metal once it kicks in from the pointless intro. Reminds me of Satyricon (remember I don't listen to this stuff).

Some decent riffs and even dare I say, grooves. But then it also gets irritating at time and really generic BM at others.

Final conclusion: It's Black Metal and I can see how BMers would like it. Not my cup of tea and I can't stand BM.

Err, your post is weird, to say the least. Read the fragments I underlined again.

If you "don't listen to this stuff" and "can't stand BM", how can you tell what is "really generic" and what isn't. If you have no clue about the genre, why do you pass such judgements? This is not to say that you can't express your opinions.
27.02.2014 - 16:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Gotta say the same thing as Daniell. It's bizarre (to say the least) to call something generic if you admit right away you don't listen to the genre at all, so it's not strange that you don't see what's so different about this EP (and band in general).

Also, of all the ways to compare it, Satyricon?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2014 - 16:26
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

After the battle between IJOOE and I over Old School v New School, I thought I'd be the magnanimous victor ( )and try out this new stuff.
(...)
Hey I tried...

Please don't. You're lowing the ratings
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.02.2014 - 17:08
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

As for the wierd things, Celtic Frost did it with Danse Macabre in 1984...

I'll give it a 6 which as you can see is high for me when it comes to Black Metal.

Hey I tried...

Yeah Celtic Frost never played anything CLOSE to Deathspell Omega-like black metal. You've clearly never heard of Ved Buens Ende (unless you have, in which case I'm curious as to what you think about them). Anyway, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, I just can't help but feel you don't give modern stuff the chances they deserve, but oh well, your loss. Also, if this is your first experience with DsO, and you're open to more exploration, I'd really recommend Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice or Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum, I can't help but feel that those would be more up your alley.
27.02.2014 - 17:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ah, reminds me of the time ponderer reviewed Axioma Ethica Odini..... ♬ Meeeemoriiiies ♬
27.02.2014 - 18:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 27.02.2014 at 17:33
Ah, reminds me of the time ponderer reviewed Axioma Ethica Odini..... ♬ Meeeemoriiiies ♬

Hah, yeah... The approach used here isn't too far away from the time ponderer compared Enslaved with Gorgoroth.
Also, how did you get those notes?!?!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2014 - 18:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.02.2014 at 18:06

Hah, yeah... The approach used here isn't too far away from the time ponderer compared Enslaved with Gorgoroth.
Also, how did you get those notes?!?!

♩♪♫♬

Good old copy + paste.
27.02.2014 - 18:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 27.02.2014 at 17:33

Oh fuck they are similar in approach....
28.02.2014 - 00:02
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by deadone on 27.02.2014 at 23:51

Generic as in tremolo picked fast bits that every Black Metal band seems to play. I know it's one of the defining features of the genre but it always sounds the same.

Don't worry I am equally uninspired with similar generic bits in Thrash, Power and Death Metal.

As for my score, 6 is quite a good score for me when it comes to BM.

I don't give a rat's ass about your score. I was merely pointing out that you are clueless about what you are trying to come across as knowledgeable at.
28.02.2014 - 00:10
mz

Generic as in tremolo picked fast bits that every Black Metal band seems to play. I know it's one of the defining features of the genre but it always sounds the same.

Don't worry I am equally uninspired with similar generic bits in Thrash, Power and Death Metal.

As for my score, 6 is quite a good score for me when it comes to BM.

That's ok if you don't like this record, but DsO in general is one of the most innovative BM bands I've heard. They are a pioneering band and many others have taken influences from them, which I don't think you are familiar with, and far from being generic.
Please recommend me some generic stuff like this EP =p
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
28.02.2014 - 00:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 28.02.2014 at 00:02

I was merely pointing out that you are clueless about what you are trying to come across as knowledgeable at.

It's been my observation that deadone tends to, in situations like these, deal in vague, arbitrary statements, being ill equipped to provide pertinent analyses. I think this thread is a testament to the idea that while personal taste may be equal, opinions are not always so; crude, broad statements, use of impossible to substantiate arguments (such as notions of "songwriting") and employing strange, inaccurate comparisons etc. used to (ineptly) rationalise and justify the part of the subconscious that defines personal taste. These are incongruities that are immediately picked up on by those that possess the appropriate understanding, both stylistically and historically.
28.02.2014 - 00:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Maybe this was all an elaborate ruse to get us all talking about one of the best metal EPs ever recorded.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.02.2014 - 00:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hey, I'm pretty sure I bring this EP up in conversation at least once every couple of weeks.
28.02.2014 - 00:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 28.02.2014 at 00:42

This coming from soneone who simply describes newer stuff by old bands as "turgid crap."

At least I gave you my reasons.

And ad hominem attacks are so sad.

This isn't an ad hom. This is my genuine observation. Sorry if you were offended by it, wasn't my intention.

As for my "turgid crap" statement: I think you'll find I give varying measures of reasoning in their appropriate contexts; I'm certainly not going to give examples when they aren't required in the middle of a debate about something far broader than individual band's shortcomings

I think the consensus here though is that your reasons are extremely poor. This is evident by the comments proceeding yours. Perhaps you should address those instead of accusing me of something which isn't the case.
28.02.2014 - 01:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 28.02.2014 at 00:54

My reasons for not liking something are poor? / By the way my scores and my little list of points are based purely on my enjoyment of an album. I'm not even going to pretend that they are some sort of objective assessment. Nor do I care for "historical context" when scoring. I do it for genres I like too - check out my Judas Priest scores for example.

And are only entitled to an opinion if it fits your understanding of the world?!?

But don't tell me I am wrong for not liking it, whatever my reasons are.

I didn't say you were wrong for not liking it or attacking your score. You're constructing phantom arguments again.

As I said, your personal taste is your own, but you opinions, i.e. your analyses and comparisons of what is observably true (as much as can be so here), are peculiar and highlight a distinct lack of knowledge of black metal's history and understanding of its style.
28.02.2014 - 01:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 28.02.2014 at 01:05

I thought that was better than just hitting it with a 6 and saying "I don't like it."

Evidently, you should stick with that method in the future.
28.02.2014 - 01:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 28.02.2014 at 01:05

I won't deny that.

My analysis isn't an objective analysis - as stated it's a list of things I didn't like and things I liked.

Then my original point stands. You, despite being ill equipped to offer a pertinent insight that effectively uses knowledge of the band's style and history (and more broadly from the genre itself) used crude, broad statements that don't accurately describe the band. I.e. to anyone but the layman DsO are considered to be neither generic, nor particularly comparable to Satyricon; their sound and style is said to be derived from Ved Buens Ende, and can observably be considered a relatively unique creation. To call something "generic" when it isn't, or to compare it to something which it doesn't sound like goes beyond being a "a list of things I didn't like and things I liked" and can be reasonably refuted in argument, which they have done, by many people here.

Quote:
I thought that was better than just hitting it with a 6 and saying "I don't like it."

That would be far more accurate, though.
28.02.2014 - 01:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 28.02.2014 at 01:19

Oh well then I'll delete my list and just say I don't like it. Happy?

If you want to keep it or not is up to you, doesn't bother me. I'd be happier if you delved into black metal a bit more, try to see it from the style's side, and realised its potential as music at least you'd gain an understanding, even if you didn't learn to like it.
28.02.2014 - 21:41
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

Tremolo picking is one of the most commonly used techniques in guitar playing across all genres. Saying tremolo picking always sounds the same is like saying arpeggiated sequencing always sounds the same. It's just dumb. Tremolo picking does not make something generic, but song structure does. The notation, layering of instruments, individual instrument use, and transitioning on this EP are all relatively unique in my eyes. I think I understand the point you are trying to get across, I just don't think it was worded very well.
28.02.2014 - 22:25
God Alone
Don't know why, but I suddenly remembered Kruel's hilarious reviews on the Archives.
28.02.2014 - 22:35
Daniell
_爱情_
elite

After the battle between IJOOE and I over Old School v New School, I thought I'd be the magnanimous victor ( )and try out this new stuff.

Definitely didn't like it. BM is not my cup of tea. I will proceed to stay away from it like a clever rat stays away firom the baited cheese.

Hey I tried.

EDITED!

Why do you chicken out like that and edit your posts? If you have an opinion, grow a pair and don't be ashamed of your words, no matter how much others bash them.
01.03.2014 - 01:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Good job.
14.01.2015 - 19:58
Mattybu
This EP is super macho, definitely among the best black metal I've heard (which admittedly isn't a ton).
14.01.2015 - 20:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 14.01.2015 at 19:58

This EP is super macho, definitely among the best black metal I've heard (which admittedly isn't a ton).

I'm glad you didn't hate it=3
14.01.2015 - 21:02
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 14.01.2015 at 20:43

Written by Mattybu on 14.01.2015 at 19:58

I'm glad you didn't hate it=3

Truth be told, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The intro is really great in particular. I also like the fact that it's an EP cause I don't think an hour of this would be necessary, it went everywhere it needed to go IMO.

Hits total: 13732 | This month: 33