03. Walk All Over You
04. Touch Too Much
05. Beating Around The Bush
06. Shot Down In Flames
07. Get It Hot
08. If You Want Blood (You've Got It)
09. Love Hungry Man
10. Night Prowler

AC/DC is part of the little crowd of bands who don't need to be introduced to anyone: almost everybody has heard them or, at least, heard OF them. They're the band which accompanied me through my slow conversion from commercial punk to metal, and I owe them in particular three releases: this, the worldwide famous Back In Black and the last one, Black Ice.

Comparing these three albums, it's astounding how the band maintained its style unaffected in thirty or more years. Few other bands display this feature - that can be a quality or a blemish - like Iron Maiden, that only changed its style in the last years, and the younger Sabaton, even if in a completely different context.

Highway To Hell is Bon Scott's last effort, and the album's title can be seen with a touch of macabre irony, considering his dramatic death. This album, together with the subsequent, signs a sky-high quality peak for the Australian guys. Their happy-go-lucky, light hearted hard rock, characterised by easy but strong riffs and solos, Scott's unique and unforgettable voice and experienced but at the same time fresh songwriting finds here its greatest example.

It's really impossible to find here any bad or filler track, since every song, despite being similar to the others, brings something new and is still able to give great chills listen after listen.

Over all, a must-have for every rock/metal fan, a nice example for a neophyte, and a big dose of nostalgia for a great artist lost way too soon.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by R Lewis | 12.11.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 80 users
12.11.2012 - 20:13
Rating: 9
R Lewis

Sorry, I realised just now that this review is incredibly short.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
13.11.2012 - 18:49
Big-Al

Written by R Lewis on 12.11.2012 at 20:13

That's ok, it's not Bon Scott's best. ... though perhaps... perhaps to much so his most famous?
----

I drink moosepiss
13.11.2012 - 19:12
R Lewis

Written by Big-Al on 13.11.2012 at 18:49

Written by R Lewis on 12.11.2012 at 20:13

That's ok, it's not Bon Scott's best. ... though perhaps... perhaps to much so his most famous?

I don't know... Yesterday I asked myself: "Would AC/DC have suffered the decline they had in the 80's-90's with Bon Scott's contribute?". I answered no, and that increased the distress about his leaving.
----
13.11.2012 - 19:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by R Lewis on 13.11.2012 at 19:12

I answered no, and that increased the distress about his leaving.

quite the euphemism for for someone dying
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.11.2012 - 20:02
R Lewis

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.11.2012 at 19:17

Written by R Lewis on 13.11.2012 at 19:12

I answered no, and that increased the distress about his leaving.

quite the euphemism for for someone dying

Well, since I don't know English perfectly, I try not to be brutal
P.S.: But he died in such an idiot way...
----
09.02.2016 - 03:35
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I think this album has a lot of additional nostalgia and intense feelings that fans have for it considering that Bon Scott died not long after it was released. Overall though, I think it's a good album but nothing special. The title track is a great song and there are some other good songs but it's nothing special. If he hadn't of died, this wouldn't be held in such high regard. And you hear the big influence that Mutt Lange had on the recorded sound of the band, with all the backing vocals. The song "Touch Too Much" sounds like Def Leppard.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
17.02.2016 - 20:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ace Frawley on 09.02.2016 at 03:35

I think this album has a lot of additional nostalgia and intense feelings that fans have for it considering that Bon Scott died not long after it was released. Overall though, I think it's a good album but nothing special. The title track is a great song and there are some other good songs but it's nothing special. If he hadn't of died, this wouldn't be held in such high regard. And you hear the big influence that Mutt Lange had on the recorded sound of the band, with all the backing vocals. The song "Touch Too Much" sounds like Def Leppard.

lol I disagree, I don't hear Def leppy there, Deft Leppy wont even be close to such level, ac/dc is rock n roll, deffy became pop rock band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4242 | This month: 10