02. Rebirth
03. Time
04. Running Alone
05. Crossing
06. Nothing To Say
07. Unfinished Allegro
08. Carry On
09. The Number Of The Beast [Iron Maiden cover]

With the new line-up, Angra decided to record a live album during the Rebirth World Tour. This is a live album totally different form their first one, Holy Live, which was recorded in Paris, France with the old line-up and had the disappointing length of 35 minutes. Live In São Paulo was recorded in São Paulo (duh!), Brazil and is a double album with almost three times the length of the first one. By taking a look at the songs, it could not be better. There's no "Carolina IV", but there's a cover of Maiden's "The Number Of The Beast" and songs from all albums. So, what to expect but a masterpiece?

The first track is "In Excelsis/Nova Era", followed by "Acid Rain" and both are perfectly executed. Next is "Angels Cry" and those who say that Edu can't sing any song from the Matos era, need to listen to this one. Yet, there's something missing? There is no feeling of an enormous show. This is a live album. We want that!

The fourth song is "Heroes Of Sand" and then the best and the worst parts of the first CD. The worst is "Metal Icarus". Not that the song is bad live but there's a boring part when Edu plays a "scream game" with the audience. However, after this, there is "Millennium Sun" and they did a hell of a good job with this song on stage. To end this first CD, the beautiful "Make Believe" (again Edu does well singing a song from the previous albums) and a drum solo.

Changed the CD, let's listen to the second one. "Unholy Wars", "Rebirth", "Time" and "Running Alone" - all good songs but that "live feeling" is still missing... Until "Nothing To Say". In this killer track we can really enjoy a live album as it must be enjoyed. Unfortunately, the same does not happen in "Carry On". Anyway, in these songs Edu just can't be compared with Matos. He's voice is not good in "Carry On" and he lets us down in the "sorrow" scream (scream?) in "Nothing To Say". The last song, "The Number Of The Beast", is a good ending. Considering Edu's voice in "Carry On", it was a good choice to leave this till the end.

The band does great playing alive, every single song is played with mastery and the sound is pretty good. Sadly, the difficulty of hearing the audience and this little lack of feeling during most of the album (one thing leading to another) makes this album less than what was expected. What is this curse with Angra's live albums? If you go to their shows or read reviews of them, you will see that they are awesome live. Yet, both live albums aren't that good. Well, at least we can enjoy this until their next one. And let's hope it to be as good as it can be.

Written by Fierce Deity | 06.08.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 21 users
27.11.2006 - 23:40
Rating: 10
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I think this is a great live album, I have no problems with it. Only that poor Edu has some difficults with the old songs ;P it's definately 9/10 for me. The production is odd but really cool, I love it.
22.06.2009 - 21:37
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Spyroid on 27.11.2006 at 23:40

I think this is a great live album, I have no problems with it. Only that poor Edu has some difficults with the old songs ;P it's definately 9/10 for me. The production is odd but really cool, I love it.

Same here. Excellent album, great seIection of the songs, very good production. Compared to Holy Live it is a masterpiece.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
14.10.2010 - 16:47
MeTalRea|istiK
Written by Spyroid on 27.11.2006 at 23:40

me too!!
23.02.2011 - 23:47
Rating: 9
BlankFile
Awsome live!

Hits total: 3941 | This month: 7