Metal Storm logo
What does it take for a band to be metal?

Original post

Posted by , 17.11.2012 - 02:39
I've never read or seen anything that states what a band must do to be a metal band. I've never seen any rules or guidelines. Is it the lyrical content? The distortion of the guitars? The vocals? The appearance of band members? What does it take? I've never thought of this until now. Take for example AC/DC. Some people consider them a heavy metal band. But the band themselves does not. Ugly Kid Joe on their website says they are a metal band, but some people label them as grunge or alternative. So many bands could or could not classified as metal. So i want to know what you guys think. I'm not talking about sub genres but metal as a whole.
03.01.2013 - 16:56
R'Vannith
ghedengi
To be fair I think it may have something to do with the sheer scope of inclusion of underground acts that gives it this general sense of authority, rather than any particularly authoritative definitions of metal. Though when one feels strongly enough about the former it may lead assumptions of the latter.

That said I haven't ventured in to their forums, who knows what inaccuracies run rife there.
03.01.2013 - 17:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 03.01.2013 at 16:56

To be fair I think it may have something to do with the sheer scope of inclusion of underground acts that gives it this general sense of authority, rather than any particularly authoritative definitions of metal. Though when one feels strongly enough about the former it may lead assumptions of the latter.

That said I haven't ventured in to their forums, who knows what inaccuracies run rife there.

Their forums are a mess from what little I've experienced. There seems to be a zero tolerance policy on disagreeing with mods, and even lesser offences, leading to a banning of some sort, and any question of whether bands should or shouldn't be on there is met with aggression and a "don't question the mods" mentality.
03.01.2013 - 17:07
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 03.01.2013 at 17:00

Written by R'Vannith on 03.01.2013 at 16:56

Their forums are a mess from what little I've experienced. There seems to be a zero tolerance policy on disagreeing with mods, and even lesser offences, leading to a banning of some sort, and any question of whether bands should or shouldn't be on there is met with aggression and a "don't question the mods" mentality.

Sounds like a metal dictatorship to me, only without any real power save the ability to establish a pack mentality around their clearly deluded sense of what constitutes metal. Metal is music, music an art and form of entertainment. It shouldn't be an opportunity to create some warped idea of heightened and unquestionable knowledge over others.
03.01.2013 - 21:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 03.01.2013 at 15:59
I guess this discussion is heading nowhere, you don't trust them, i do trust them.

I lesson in life: Get a brain and willpower so you can think for YOURSELF.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.