Metal Storm logo
The Algorithm: Metal or Electronic?

Poll

Is The Algorithm's sound metal or electronic?

Electronic w/ metal influences
Metal w/ electronic influences

Total votes: 23
21.11.2012 - 04:09
psykometal
A staff guy...
So I have a fun debate going with !J.O.O.E.! as to whether the general metal population of the world would regard The Algorithm as a metal band with electronic influences or an electronic band with metal influences. Just so everybody knows, the music appears to be entirely programmed (no guitars or bass guitar). Rémi Gallego seems to write/record/perform everything with a synth board but he does have a drummer that performs the main drum beats for live performances. Personally I say it's electronic music and Joe says it's metal music. What do you think?

Let the debate commence!

Here is his latest video for those not already familiar with The Algorithm...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

21.11.2012 - 04:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well, I don't say that it's explicitly metal music per-se, rather that they conform to a style and sound which would be readily identified amongst the metal populace (hence the reason they're signed to Basick)

This song perhaps better illustrates the metal elements in their music, along with some distinctly metal drumming:

Interestingly, the most prominent tags on Last.fm are: "experimental," math metal," "electronic," "progressive metal," and "djent"
21.11.2012 - 04:49
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
No fucks given, 'tis simply good music.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.11.2012 - 04:56
Edmund Fogg

To me it's Metal with electronic influences. We're far from bands like Sybreed, but I guess it can fit in the Metal realm.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
21.11.2012 - 05:58
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Well, this is an interesting debate. I'd have to listen to the record before giving an opinion, but so far I believe it's more electronic than metal. Just a biiiiit more, from what I've heard the drumming is definitely metal oriented but the instrumentation is not, so you could say it's a 50% - 50% since they both so important to the songs.
Then again, I saw a 30 min or so live recording on YT of a gig by these guys, and what I remember from that is that I had the feeling I was watching a electronica band.
21.11.2012 - 06:24
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Structurally both of those examples seem more electronic I'd say. Awesome bit of reggae they throw in the middle of Joe's example.
22.11.2012 - 09:34
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by R'Vannith on 21.11.2012 at 06:24

Structurally both of those examples seem more electronic I'd say.

Glad somebody else hears that...
----

22.11.2012 - 10:10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by psykometal on 22.11.2012 at 09:34

Written by R'Vannith on 21.11.2012 at 06:24

Structurally both of those examples seem more electronic I'd say.

Glad somebody else hears that...

Looks like the "sounds electronic" side of the debate has the upper hand atm.
25.11.2012 - 21:26
Uldreth

Sounds a lot like breakcore with djent influences to me rather than the opposite, mainly because it seems electronica dominates their tracks a higher percent of the time than metal (of course I havent measured but that is how it feels like). And also structurally it also feels a lot more breakcore.

But I am glad this band is getting a degree of exposure here, it is damn gorgeous music.
25.11.2012 - 23:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Uldreth on 25.11.2012 at 21:26

Sounds a lot like breakcore with djent influences to me rather than the opposite, mainly because it seems electronica dominates their tracks a higher percent of the time than metal (of course I havent measured but that is how it feels like). And also structurally it also feels a lot more breakcore.

But I am glad this band is getting a degree of exposure here, it is damn gorgeous music.

It is definitely gorgeous music, I've been jamming Polymorphic Code since I was shown it by an Elite last week. And I wish I could add him but it is just not metal.
----

25.11.2012 - 23:21
Uldreth

Written by psykometal on 25.11.2012 at 23:15

It is definitely gorgeous music, I've been jamming Polymorphic Code since I was shown it by an Elite last week. And I wish I could add him but it is just not metal.

I don't know the definitive stance on this but there are tons of stuff added that is 1) historically relevant to metal 2) has a high potential to appeal to metal fans 3) closely related to metal.

I think this band fits the last two pretty well, but I guess you are more informed about site policies and qualified to make a stance so...
25.11.2012 - 23:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 25.11.2012 at 23:21

I don't know the definitive stance on this but there are tons of stuff added that is 1) historically relevant to metal 2) has a high potential to appeal to metal fans 3) closely related to metal.

I think this band fits the last two pretty well, but I guess you are more informed about site policies and qualified to make a stance so...

Indeed, that's more my stance on this band. Because I listen to a fairly large amount of electronic music this instantly led to me to associate it largely with metal rather than electronic as most of what I listen to sounds nothing like this. It's rare that non-metal bands use metal as part of their music compared with metal which absorbs influences from everywhere. The fact that there are plenty of bands on this site which have zero metal in (post-rock, ebm, hammered dulcimer, hardcore, neoclassical, dark ambient, neofolk etc and so on) having this in the database really wouldn't be the weirdest thing ever.
26.11.2012 - 00:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Uldreth on 25.11.2012 at 23:21

Well, I'm a bit biased, personally I don't feel that there should be anything that is not metal on METAL Storm but that's just me. But I won't let my bias prevent me from following the rules, however there aren't really any official rules regarding metallic electronica being added to the site. So I am not going to just add The Algorithm without there being a vote of some kind on it; unless of course the FBC or The Big Guy want to just add him.
----

26.11.2012 - 07:41
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I agree they could be featured here, you guys gotta stick to wikipedia's description of the site: "Metal Storm is known for its relatively relaxed attitude towards accepting bands that are not unquestionably categorized as metal".

BTW, listened to the album and I still think the electronica feeling takes over, but the metal influences are all around. Oh, and that it's great.
27.09.2013 - 16:17
Psyhosane

Don't care what gender they are. I love bands that you can't define. And I love The Algorithm.
27.09.2013 - 16:45
Neroese
Account deleted
Well, funny, because even Remi writes on FB 'Personally, I have no idea'.

Yes - there's guitars and drums that are used in metal, but structure of songs is more electronic. It's big debate, but for me the best way to tag it, is 'experimental music'. There's too many influences to make it 'metal' or just 'electronic'.

The Algorithm is great project. It's a proof, that music is still evolving, and there's always someone who can redefine music perception of listeners. I don't care if metalhead says 'You shut the fuck up, THe Shitgorithm is a shit, it's not metal, not trve und kvlt', really. This guy has an IDEA - something that is very unique and in many times very good. (Unless it's post hardcore. Who made it should be banned from life.)

That's my statement 'bout 'The Algorithm'.

Thall Everyone
27.09.2013 - 17:36
Uldreth

Written by Guest on 27.09.2013 at 16:45

Unless it's post hardcore. Who made it should be banned from life.

Heh, this was really random
01.10.2013 - 15:22
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I remember having a discussion about this with a friend about how a lot of metalheads can relate to some electronica coz it is heavy, fast and aggressive. There are some similarities between the genres for sure. I'd say that The Algorithm are more electronica influenced though
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here